Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worth a shot

So the seals fit Bob?
If so Ill be looking into 3-4 sets

joe i never put seal in a chainsaw before but have done auto seals i will put them in the freezer for a 1/2 hour it shirnks them up a lil for an better drive in maybe it will work for you????? worth a try?

I don't know what diameter seals you are driving, but I have had good results using plastic pipe. I cut it on my chop saw to get the ends square and use a block of wood on top for the hammer to hit. BY making them very long it is easy to keep them square to the seal. The deviation from vertical is easy to see. If the diameter needs adjusting you can split it and glue it back together to make it smaller, just clamp it in a vise or use a hose clamp while the glue dries. I have built custom diameter seal drivers this way to install seals in the front forks of motorcycles. Very inexpensive and the plastic is kind to the seals.:cheers:

You could also use a thick washer under your socket if you want to spread the load out a little, but it is just one more thing to try to keep lined up. You need to apply the driving force to the outer edge of the seal for best results.

Like the idea of using PVC. These are smaller seals with an OD of .875.

Holy Crap!

Now that would be something to try, wouldn't fit in the case after, but what the heck.

That scoundrel was a SCREAMER before the pipe!!!
It is embarrassingly fast!!!
I saw some guys ease off from the crowd and quietly put their saws back in their trucks when that saw made its public debut!

Mike

test run my 5400 today

I had been using a S25D with a Granberg Clip-N-Trim attachment
pruning @ the Southern Magnolia tree, the rosebush & shoots off a plum
tree.
While I had the fuel mix & saw tool box out, I cranked the 5400 after a little
priming & persuasion, still runs after all these years.

Hi guys...newbie to the site and definately a Poulan newbie. I bought 2 non-running Poulan 3400's for $60 in hopes of getting one good saw. These are the two I started with:
picture.php

I started by tearing down the bad saw...figured I would learn on the parts saw. As I suspected, the rings were broken in 10 pieces and 0 compression. P/C needs replaced. The crank looks good so far but i'll need to finish splitting the cases, clean it up, and inspect. I put that saw aside and began on the good saw.

I started with a carb cleaning and new fuel lines and spark plug. After an hour of work I was able to start it but it ran badly...gas flooding out at low rpm's. At this point I was thinking metering valve height is off...readjusted and she purrs like a kitten. Set the Low and high settings and idle and sat there smiling. I went ahead and put the saw into some really hard and frozen maple. I buried the bar and the saw kept cutting. Chain was surprisingly sharp. Very pleased so far and the saw is going into the woods with me sunday for a day of work. I think she'll do just fine. :)
picture.php

Any muffler Mod advice/pictures for the Poulan 3400? This will be my first modded saw. :blob2:

Congratulations on getting a running 3400 out of the mix.:clap:
The simplest thing to do to the muffler is, do away with the screen. They are restrictive, and usually gunked up anyway. Drill out the holes in the center baffle larger. Then drill a couple holes in the front cover, usually down low in front.
If you have a wire welder, you could add an outlet to the side, instead of drilling holes in the front. Looks much better that way.
I cut wood with a 3400 for many years, as my only saw! They aren't bad for 56cc saw.:)
:cheers:
Gregg,

Anywhere in the 450+ pages for Poulan thread is there info on how to convert a 3400 to a 4000? I have one good running 3400 and might as well make a 4000 out of the other one.

I think it is at least a Cylinder, Piston and Rings....What else? Is the con Rod the same?

Anywhere in the 450+ pages for Poulan thread is there info on how to convert a 3400 to a 4000? I have one good running 3400 and might as well make a 4000 out of the other one.

I think it is at least a Cylinder, Piston and Rings....What else? Is the con Rod the same?

That pretty much does it. :) Con Rods are the same. Everything is the same. Thats the way I got my first 4000. Just converted a 3400 parts saw. Then added extraneous stuff to make the complete change over, like air filter setup, starter type, muffler. Carbs are the same also.
Gregg,

I located 2 NOS gasket and seal kits for the 3400/4000 saws. I can trace gaskets for anyone who may need some. Im gonna be VERY careful putting the seals on. I destroyed a set on an XL12 but was lucky I had a spare.

ModifiedMark did that one, and yes he blocked off the upper rear outlets.
Gregg,

Mark, does do great work.. I don't even use mine, just look and admire it. Kidding, stuck it on my 3700. BTW,went to see that dealer for some old saws. Waste of time . Only had some old beat up Poulan that I couldn't determine what it was as it was all in pieces. Everything else was old beat up weedwackers left out in the rain.

I located 2 NOS gasket and seal kits for the 3400/4000 saws. I can trace gaskets for anyone who may need some. Im gonna be VERY careful putting the seals on. I destroyed a set on an XL12 but was lucky I had a spare.

Good man Joe. Thought I had two sets bought from an Ebay seller last week then he informed me he was out of them. I asked him why he still had an active listing and naturally he didn't reply. I've thought about using 3/4 in PVC to press in seals but there is still alot of slop. Now I'm think of using a 2'x2" piece of wood and drilling a hole just larger than the crankshaft diameter. That would provide a base for driving the seal and prevent one side going in deeper than the other. Sounds good on paper at least.
Bob

Do you guys consider the muffler mod to be necessity? Screen Clogging common? I might do this to mine, I have the fabbing / welding ability to do it as shown.

Or is this only something to do if I really wanna let'er fly?

Do you guys consider the muffler mod to be necessity? Screen Clogging common? I might do this to mine, I have the fabbing / welding ability to do it as shown.

Or is this only something to do if I really wanna let'er fly?

No, I feel that openning up the muff only frees up the saw, runs cooler and better. Never had the spark arrestor screen block up, but common sense says removing it would free up the exhaust flow.

Latest posts

Back