Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you do not have to split it to replace the line. The service manual points out how easy it is to fish a new line up through it. I'm sure I posted that info and page from the manual before.

Very very nice thirty-0-six you got there. Gregg is correct that they were just a early 306 model. Around 72 if I'm not mistaken and yes that bar is what could have came on it originally.

Thanks! It is another one of my FREE saws (Did I mention how much I like gettin' free stuff?) I got it, and a 3400, from a guy in a package deal with a couple hedge trimmers, a back pack blower, hand held blower, a couple weed eaters, and a couple Mac chain saws. Sold all of the other stuff, except the Mac saws, and got my money back, and then some. :clap:

Does anyone make a stencil for the original POULAN bar? I'd like to paint some of the bars, on the saws I'm re-doing.......

I searched for "Poulan decal" while on the "bay"
and pulled up several kinds of them.

Countervibe 3700

Poulan Pro 505

Poulan Pro 475

Poulan Pro 245

Poulan Pro 306

That's!

Why you are the King of the Poulan Gurus!

Mike

I followed the instructions he gave me and now I have a working Micro 25! The other one I wasn't so lucky with...the oiler is ok but I can't seem to get it to run right. I found one thing, the fuel line was kinked coming out of the tank, didn't try to start it after I put in the new fuel line and cleaned the carb (again) and a new kit, made from spare parts. It is gettin' kind of late and I need my 5 hours of sleep, so I came in for the night. Mark is awfully good with these Poulans..

Had time to look at the 4900 I shared last week. I bought it when it was advertised as a 49cc saw and thought I was pretty darn clever. I was disappointed to find 3/4" of the clutch side of the crank having sheared off leaving only a thread or two to hold the clutch on. Don't know how I missed it. I noticed that the thrust washer behind the clutch was missing but was in too much of hurry to check why. Guess the original seller was a little smarter than me after all.:redface:
Anyone have a spare crank? I am happy to pay a fair price and the (considerable) shipping to me.

P1010992.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Al.

got a really dumb question (cause i should already know). i have a poulan 2000 that is missing the air filter. i plan to modify one of the off-the-shelve foam filters at HD or sloes but need to know if i should oil the filter before replacing. the only thing the shop manual i have says is to make sure the filter is dry before replacing. depending upon you view of how to speak english that could mean completely dry (without oil) or dry (as in no more water). need some interpretation since i tend to take words at their true meaning. see, i told you it was a dumb question.

Had time to look at the 4900 I shared last week. I bought it when it was advertised as a 49cc saw and thought I was pretty darn clever. I was disappointed to find 3/4" of the clutch side of the crank having sheared off leaving only a thread or two to hold the clutch on. Don't know how I missed it. I noticed that the thrust washer behind the clutch was missing but was in too much of hurry to check why. Guess the original seller was a little smarter than me after all.:redface:
Anyone have a spare crank? I am happy to pay a fair price and the (considerable) shipping to me.

P1010992.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Al.

what a bummer. i'm curious as to what would cause that shaft to shear like that?
edit: looks like that shaft and rod are available on the poulan parts site but the bearings are out of production. gonna cost you though; still a cheap saw for what you got.

Last edited:
There are 3 different clutch tools for these Poulans.
It's not a "one size fits all" deal.

I found a part number in the owners manual for the clutch tool. It is # 31085 and it says it for earlier style clutches. I guess the Micro 25 switched to the new style clutch at some point. I did a search and this part seems to be discontinued. Does anyone know where I might find one? May have to use a hammer and punch after all.

P1010992.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Al.
I don't think I would sell one like that unless I mentioned it in my ad that was how it was (with pics). That's no small thing, at least to me. That he thought it was smaller than it was is no consequence..it's his item and he should know what he has. On the other hand, you didn't know of this defect when you bought it and he probably did.

been raining in fl for days now so ive been looking at saws online.... found this really nice saw for sale then looked at the pics closer! Poor poulan cant beleive guy did this LOL!View attachment 188980View attachment 188981

It took me a while to see what you were talking about. It could still be corrected if he didn't mess up the inside also. Might have to do a little body work on the holes.

yep

It took me a while to see what you were talking about. It could still be corrected if he didn't mess up the inside also. Might have to do a little body work on the holes.

Oh it could be fixed easy reroute the fuel line and anything else you dont see... i was just thinking how nice the paint was.... and what a pain it would be to touch it up... i could not tell if he drilled into the main case???? Or what he did with the other end of it???? Just about as bad as drilling a hole so you can adjust the carb with the cover on ....I remember some one posting a pic like that when i first started reading on the Poulan thread.... its a very clean saw except for the drilled holes LOL!

I found a part number in the owners manual for the clutch tool. It is # 31085 and it says it for earlier style clutches. I guess the Micro 25 switched to the new style clutch at some point. I did a search and this part seems to be discontinued. Does anyone know where I might find one? May have to use a hammer and punch after all.

Middle drawer, top for a punch and the 4th drawer down, bottom cabinet in my toolbox. Where yours are IDK, but I bet they work fine when you locate them.
I've also used two small roll punches and a screwdriver, stick the punches in the holes and use something as a lever to turn the clutch. Its not a Saturn V rocket or heart replacement surgery. I'm all about the right tool for the job, but "getting it done" can be done here with little worry.

Last edited:
Can any of you Poulan "gurus" help me out with ID'ing some Poulan NOS parts?? I just bought out an old dealer that had Poulan, Mac and Stihl. I have ID'ed a lot of stuff and WOW!!! What a treasure chest of stuff!:rock: Most of the poulan stuff is in the 4900, 5200, 5400 etc family of saws.

I have a few Poulan items that I haven't been able to ID, as I think they are marked with old obsolete #'s (And yes I'm aware that 5300 is tagged onto the old #'s) that have probably been superceded.

Here's one example that I believe is Poulan....This piston is 50mm and has a 13mm pin. Quite thin ring grooves and side ring locating pins......I want to guess 4900, but if you guys could help it would be great......

IMG_6056-1.jpg

This is one of the easiest tools to make, Find any flat piece of metal and drill two 1/4" holes the proper distance apart. Then take two 1/4-20 screws and grind down the threads so they fit in the hole in the clutch and bolt onto your piece of metal. I got lucky and found a piece of metal with the perfect distance apart holes in it already in my scrap bin. Here's a pic of one I made, I added a few bells and whistles.

summer003.jpg

Latest posts

Back