Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cross Reference Poulan to Sears Craftsman

This is in the public domain, so there is no issue with sharing the link. The US Forest Service publishes a document called the Spark Arrester Guide, which tells what spark arresters are approved in national forests. But lo and behold, they list Sears Craftsman saws by 358.xxxxxx number, and show what the underlying Poulin model is. This is the only resource I've ever found that provided such a cross-reference. Other models are listed, too, so it's become my all-around guide to who built what.

www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/fire/spark/PDF.../MSE_SAG2007.pdfSimilar

Aid tire? Must be posting from your phone. :hmm3grin2orange:

Jeff told you the truth, but I'm wondering why someone would have ever removed it to begin with. There would never be a reason to.

Damn spell checker on my iPad. I have no idea when it was lost. Just found out there was something there from a post and a parts list. Leaks oil out of there but doesn't seem to come out the discharge line a lot. Both checks seem to be working and filter is in good shape. What should I use?

Damn spell checker on my iPad. I have no idea when it was lost. Just found out there was something there from a post and a parts list. Leaks oil out of there but doesn't seem to come out the discharge line a lot. Both checks seem to be working and filter is in good shape. What should I use?

If that vent hole is open then it will not let the tank build up enough pressure to force the oil through the oiler. Like what was said, a cotter pin the same size as the hole is what should be in there. Thing is its inserted from the outside while the case is apart.

You wil have to hold it snug from the outside and bend the cotter pin apart from the inside. Might be able to do it through the oil hole with a long screw driver?

If that vent hole is open then it will not let the tank build up enough pressure to force the oil through the oiler. Like what was said, a cotter pin the same size as the hole is what should be in there. Thing is its inserted from the outside while the case is apart.

You wil have to hold it snug from the outside and bend the cotter pin apart from the inside. Might be able to do it through the oil hole with a long screw driver?

I'll have to find a really small cotter pin then. The smallest one I had at work was still to big. What would happen if it were to tight?

harbor frieght???

I'll have to find a really small cotter pin then. The smallest one I had at work was still to big. What would happen if it were to tight?

its about the size of a staple try that.. then bend the ends through the oil hole like mark sayed thats a smart dude!!! i always complicate ****!!!!

I dont know off hand, like I said there is no need to remove one so I never did. :msp_rolleyes:

Just go to the hardware store, any decent one will have the smaller sizes. You can gauge the size of the hole with a drill bit as well to see what size cotter pin you need.

The originals were pretty snug.

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/fi...007.pdfSimilar link is no longer available,did you save a copy?

OK, sorry. I guess I don't know how to paste a link, or perhaps my browser just doesn't like me. At any rate, just Google "Spark Arrester Guide" (note the spelling), and you should see a .pdf file for Volume 2. It's almost 16g, so a very large file. But very worth it...

2075 Anti-vibe

I'm working on a 2075 and the spring that bolts to the cyl and attaches to the handle is missing. I have looked for it online, but all the diagrams i have seen don't show it. Any dealers on here that can supply it and the hardware to mount it ? or anyone steer me to one ? Also I got a storage unit that sold for overdue rent and it had a real nice 2050 in carrying case. I took the air filter cover off and there was no sawdust at all on the cyl fins, runs like a champ, just need new chain still has original poulan bar.

I'm working on a 2075 and the spring that bolts to the cyl and attaches to the handle is missing. I have looked for it online, but all the diagrams i have seen don't show it. Any dealers on here that can supply it and the hardware to mount it ? or anyone steer me to one ? Also I got a storage unit that sold for overdue rent and it had a real nice 2050 in carrying case. I took the air filter cover off and there was no sawdust at all on the cyl fins, runs like a champ, just need new chain still has original poulan bar.

Boy all the IPL's I've looked at don't show a 2075 as being anti-vibe. Peculiar.

OK, sorry. I guess I don't know how to paste a link, or perhaps my browser just doesn't like me. At any rate, just Google "Spark Arrester Guide" (note the spelling), and you should see a .pdf file for Volume 2. It's almost 16g, so a very large file. But very worth it...

Nice manual. Thanks, kscycler! :clap:

Craftsman 2.3 sprocket change

Good Morning: I have a Craftsman 2.3a serial number 358-350851 and would like to change from the 1/4 drive to a 3/8 drive.
1. Is that a good idea?

2. Does anyone know where I could find a part number for a 3/8 spur drive?

Thanks for your help.
Jasper89

Got a question for Mark, or anyone else that might know. LOL I bought a nice older GB Professional Pro-Top sprocket nose bar. Was listed as a 20" but it actually a 21". It has the D176 Poulan style mount. All the IPL's that i find list 21" hard nose bars using 72 dr. links. I am assuming that it is the same for a sprocket nose. Just want to make sure before I buy a 72 link chain. The 70 link is to short.:confused:

Oh, had to go out and shoot supper, this morning.:msp_biggrin: Today was the muzzle loading season opener. Not a wall hanger for sure. But will eat just as good!:tongue2:

Deer2012002.jpg

Deer2012004.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I am picking up 3 poulan 8500's today 1 runner and 2 parts saws, problem is all three are missing the clutch cover, I haven't looked but are the easily obtainable? i will post up pics when I get them home.

I am picking up 3 poulan 8500's today 1 runner and 2 parts saws, problem is all three are missing the clutch cover, I haven't looked but are the easily obtainable? i will post up pics when I get them home.

Great Find for sure!! I have seen a few new ones on Ebay. I had a good one, but recently sent it off to another member here. In case you didnt already know. They are slightly different than the 5200/4200 covers. I think they the larger bar stud holes.

Gregg,

Got a question for Mark, or anyone else that might know. LOL I bought a nice older GB Professional Pro-Top sprocket nose bar. Was listed as a 20" but it actually a 21". It has the D176 Poulan style mount. All the IPL's that i find list 21" hard nose bars using 72 dr. links. I am assuming that it is the same for a sprocket nose. Just want to make sure before I buy a 72 link chain. The 70 link is to short.:confused:

Oh, had to go out and shoot supper, this morning.:msp_biggrin: Today was the muzzle loading season opener. Not a wall hanger for sure. But will eat just as good!:tongue2:

Gregg,

Gregg,

Yes that bar should wear a 72 link chain.
I wish I could find a dozen bars like that.................reasonable.

Also looks like you did a great job of deer herd management this morning!
Congratulations,

Mike

This is in the public domain, so there is no issue with sharing the link. The US Forest Service publishes a document called the Spark Arrester Guide, which tells what spark arresters are approved in national forests. But lo and behold, they list Sears Craftsman saws by 358.xxxxxx number, and show what the underlying Poulin model is. This is the only resource I've ever found that provided such a cross-reference. Other models are listed, too, so it's become my all-around guide to who built what.

http://www.arboristsite.com/stickie...rams/fire/spark/PDF.../MSE_SAG2007.pdfSimilar

Damn that's a HUGE pdf. Thanks for the info. The Dayton, Wizard, and Sears model interchange info (regarding the Poulan equivelants) is priceless. The pictures of the various models and spark arresters is interesting too. Many of the Homelites (and one Poulan Super 25 on page 215) they showed had clutch covers with holes hogged through them (from clutch parts that backed out and dragged on the cover........a common occurance). Funny, since the saws looked new aside from the damaged covers. The Poulan saw pictures also included the private lable model numbers covered. Cool stuff. I'm going to see if I can get them to send me a printed copy of this publication at my place of employment.

Did you see this part?

"Any modification or damage to any part of the system as it was presented to SDTDC voids the qualification of the spark arrester on the equipment. Modifications usually consist of removal of screen, change in exhaust outlets, smaller bumper spikes, removing chainbrakes or handguards, incorrect handlebar on chainsaws, or other modifications to the engine or body parts. These changes may permit hot exhaust gasses to come in closer contact with combustible fuels. Follow your agency pollicies when a modified spark arrester system is encountered."

WTH does changing a handlebar, chainbrake, or handguard have to do with the spark arrester? I guess smaller bumper spikes could allow a log to be closer to a muffler on a vertical jug saw. The saw chart does list "NR" for not required in the bumper spike collumn for most of the horrizontal jug saws. I'm glad they mention that it's permissable to install stainless .023" screen on pre-1978 saws. I cut on BLM land sometimes and will make sure to only take saws that have SA's installed. I suppose I shouldn't remove the CB/Muffler Guard type clutch cover from my PM700 and replace it with a non-CB/MG cover like I'd planned.........or I should at least save the heavy/ugly cover for when I cut on BLM land.

Wow Jim you've been on a roll for sure. Go ahead and add those to the list of your saws that I covet (600D, SXL925, 995G, 700D......):D

Last edited:
Back