Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another 2800 I Just finished up putting together. It had a scored p&c when I got it. It got a new p&c, nos poulan bar (banana at that), new chain, nos brake kit, bucking spike, carb rebuild, new hoses, new filter, new mounts, and a muffler mod. She runs like a charm now.

View attachment 227514View attachment 227515

Wow, that's just real pretty! Looks like a new saw!

Sometimes..doncha wish we had a time machine, so we could go back, when poulan started sliding away from what they used to build, find the dude or dudes responsible..and just slap 'em silly?

The 245A carburetor will have the same governor in it. If it's running/tuning fine, then just leave it as is. I'd strongly suggest you take the cylinder off and clean up the piston, cylinder, and rings. You'll want to get that rust and corrosion gunk out of there so you don't damage the chrome cylinder plating when you get it running again. Be careful when removing the rings from the piston, as they break easily. It's easy to scratch the piston with the ring ends too.

good to see you about chris. how's the FIL?

The short version:

My wife has been in the hospital the last two days, hopefully she's getting discharged tomorrow.

My FIL isn't doing well. He spent most of December & all of Janurary in the hospital, a rehab hosp, then a rehab/nursing facility. He came home on 02-01. The assisted living facility where my F&MIL live made them move into a smaller apartment in a different building--a serious PITA. Last week he was back in the hospital, got sent to a rehab hosp, & tonight I got a call that he's been transported back to the hosp. I've got to call the hosp in a few hours to see what's happening.

My MIL is legally blind, has Altheimers, & doesn't drive. My FIL has vascular dementia, serious mobility issues which are getting worse, & he doesn't drive.

Right now I don't when things are going to get back to mormal.

Last edited:
The short version:

My wife has been in the hospital the last two days, hopefully she's getting discharged tomorrow.

My FIL isn't doing well. He spent most of December & all of Janurary in the hospital, a rehab hosp, then a rehab/nursing facility. He came home on 02-01. The assisted living facility where my F&MIL live made them move into a smaller apartment in a different building--a serious PITA. Last week he was back in the hospital, got sent to a rehab hosp, & tonight I got a call that he's been transported back to the hosp. I've got to call the hosp in a few hours to see what's happening.

My MIL is legally blind, has Altheimers, & doesn't drive. My FIL has vascular dementia, serious mobility issues which are getting worse, & he doesn't drive.

Good to see you back even if just to say hello. Good of you to taking care of the family, and best wishes to them all.

I might have to do that. Where did you put the other outlet?

Here is the one I did on my PP335 which is just like the one I did on the 3000.

attachment.php

The 245A carburetor will have the same governor in it. If it's running/tuning fine, then just leave it as is. I'd strongly suggest you take the cylinder off and clean up the piston, cylinder, and rings. You'll want to get that rust and corrosion gunk out of there so you don't damage the chrome cylinder plating when you get it running again. Be careful when removing the rings from the piston, as they break easily. It's easy to scratch the piston with the ring ends too.

Okey doke, sounds like a good plan! I *think* it is clean enough now, but whut the heck, not that much more and I can be sure. Might as well source those rings as long as I am going to go that far.

edit: update. yep, those gaskets were stuck to the diaphragms. I just slap didn't see that yesterday. I looked at them in bright sunlight today and saw that. peeled them apart but they look..meh. Managed to score a full kit right from the dealers today, and a foot of tygon. Still gonna find those homie rings and make them fit.

Maybe while the jug is off do some real minor hardly nothing smoothing out of ye olde in and out areas. Then, with a no gasket fit, I can say I actually modded a saw! BWAHAHAHA!

What did any consensus ever come up with as the closest rattle can paint? I ain't too particular but Ill need to pull the jug and stuff and do some lowtech JBweld bondo action on some of the case pieces, so might as well strip it first then paint it. I can afford one rattle can for this I think...

Aw heck, never thought yet about bearings and seals. Don't know how far I want to go with this one. We'll see. I have wayyy too many projects going on now. Of course that is loads better than no projects. Keeps me outta the pool hall...

Saw that 655 on the "check this out on CL" thread. geez loweez what a find.

Last edited:
The short version:

Best wishes and prayers from here too. My grandfather had dementia that was a result of multiple strokes and his last five years were awful. He wasn't the same person at all. It was tough on all of us. Take care of your family first. Saws will still be here. You may need fuel lines and a carb kit by then, but that's not difficult.

Nick

The short version:

man you got a rough row to hoe. try to roll with the punches and try not to get too stressed. my pop had atheroschelorosis which resulted in some kind of dementia for the last 5-6 years of his life. it hurt to see him like that but he was mostly happy. it was me that was bummed out. unfortunately normal is mostly not attainable. really good of you to pitch in like that; your good deeds will come back to you. make sure you take care of your physical and mental health since you've got several stressers happening at the same time. you and/or the wife need to take some personal time sometimes. we're always here if you need to unload or vent. don't internalize, get it out and deal with it.

My mom has Alzheimer's and my dad is determined to take care of her and won't hear of getting help. He's almost 82 and it is sad to see the toll it is taking on him.

Woodshark 1950

I've got a few questions about a 12yr old Woodshark 1950.

First what size fuel lines do I need for a Zama carb?

Secondly can I take the blue and red caps off the adjustment screws? When and if they are removed can I adjust the carb with standard screwdriver?

I just acquired this saw from my grandpa and I know it's been sitting for several years. I cleaned all the old junk off it cleaned the air filter, replaced the spark plug. I can start it but it will not idle it needs to be on full throttle or it will die. Do any of you have any tips for me?

Thanks
Dennis

My mom has Alzheimer's and my dad is determined to take care of her and won't hear of getting help. He's almost 82 and it is sad to see the toll it is taking on him.

I see it all the time, the other spouse taking care of the one that's sick and it tears me up. A few of them I'll stop by and check in on from time to time. One of my patients was a WW2 vet, I used to stop by after my shift and see how he was doing on Fridays, sometimes we'd go out and grab a bite to eat. I stopped one Friday and his son answered the door and said he'd passed away in his sleep 3 days before. I introduced myself and he said that dad talked about me all the time. He asked me to step in because he had something that his dad wanted me to have. His 1911 that he carried all over Europe. Hell of a man, made the 4 combat jumps. I'm not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye the whole way home. :(

Dennis, I wish I could help you. Hopefully someone like Modifiedmark will chime in as he seems to have designed all the Poulan, he knows so much. Those saws are pretty good smaller saws, and yours will be also with a little bit of work. It probably needs a carb kit along with the fuel lines, and I would replace the filter at the same time.

Welcome aboard, but don't spend too much time on here or you will end up like the rest of us and own way more saws than a professional tree service needs.

Nick

Latest posts

Back