Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. Thanks Steve! I feared I didn't bid enough, and would have to battle the snipers at the end.
Will see how good or bad it is when and if it arrives. I Had trouble one time with a bar I bought. UPS driver showed up with just the sleeve.:laugh: He said it was a common thing to have happen.
Got my fingers crossed.

:cheers:
Gregg,

A while ago an ebay seller sent me my nice 31" Cannon RN in a stihl bar sleeve 'secured' with a few small bits of packing tape. The roller end had punched through, and the roller had a new looking ding on it. I was lucky that the bar hadn't escaped.:censored:

More recently, a fellow sent me a Craftsman 3.4 (red Poulan 3400) 'rebuilder' in trade. Just put the powerhead, bar, and chain in a box with a smaller box packed with it to keep it from moving around too much. Well the smaller box got smashed during the trip..............letting the powerhead, bar, and chain bash around inside the box until the bar punched an escape hole and took the chain with it. God only knows where they are now. The mangled, ripped box (with powerhead inside) was on my doorstep, setting within a plastic USPS mail tub...

photobucket-41860-1348519908398.jpg

photobucket-15378-1348519532729.jpg

I guess this wasn't that bad of a packing job after all.

attachment.php

Nothing got lost.

If it gets there in one piece it must have been packed well.. One wonderful thing about the post office is, if they see a package starting to tear or something coming out of a box, it's too much trouble to grab a roll of tape and repair (their) damage..

Last edited:
A while ago an ebay seller sent me my nice 31" Cannon RN in a stihl bar sleeve 'secured' with a few small bits of packing tape. The roller end had punched through, and the roller had a new looking ding on it. I was lucky that the bar hadn't escaped.:censored:

More recently, a fellow sent me a Craftsman 3.4 (red Poulan 3400) 'rebuilder' in trade. Just put the powerhead, bar, and chain in a box with a smaller box packed with it to keep it from moving around too much. Well the smaller box got smashed during the trip..............letting the powerhead, bar, and chain bash around inside the box until the bar punched an escape hole and took the chain with it. God only knows where they are now. The mangled, ripped box (with powerhead inside) was on my doorstep, setting within a plastic USPS mail tub...

I don't remember what bar it was that didn't arrive. The UPS driver took care of it, and the seller sent another one. The UPS driver asked me if it was a Sthil bar? Cause he said they had found a Sthil bar, without packaging, laying on the floor of one their trailers. LOL Makes me wonder what they do with these unclaimed, lost items.

I have recieved some poorly packed saws before too. Beat up and oily box, with a bar poking out one end, or bucking spike. :msp_ohmy: I have also recieved some really piece O crap parts saws packed especially well! One time the mail man brought up a real nicely packed Husqvarna box. Said, Ahhh you got a new chainsaw. I said, yes, its a chainsaw, but its an old oily green Poulan inside..:ices_rofl:

Gregg,

I don't remember what bar it was that didn't arrive. The UPS driver took care of it, and the seller sent another one. The UPS driver asked me if it was a Sthil bar? Cause he said they had found a Sthil bar, without packaging, laying on the floor of one their trailers. LOL Makes me wonder what they do with these unclaimed, lost items.

I have recieved some poorly packed saws before too. Beat up and oily box, with a bar poking out one end, or bucking spike. :msp_ohmy: I have also recieved some really piece O crap parts saws packed especially well! One time the mail man brought up a real nicely packed Husqvarna box. Said, Ahhh you got a new chainsaw. I said, yes, its a chainsaw, but its an old oily green Poulan inside..:ices_rofl:

Gregg,
All this reminds me of a free saw I got years ago from a member here...The Bar was mounted to a slab of wood with a recess for it to fit routered into it. then the whole works was bagged and placed in a box Then FILLED with spray foam! Took me 2 hours to unpack it! Only downside is that I had agreed to pay to have it packaged $$$$$ :(

My TA 3750 made it through just fine. Saw was in a trash bag, in another box surrounded by peanuts..Bar was just lying in the bottom. The saw was in a bit rougher shape than I thought it was, though...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had a 3400 bow saw shipped to me in this box from Florida. What you see is all the packing there was. No garbage bag, no peanuts, no newspaper or plastic bottles, you can see how it oiled the box.

Poulan3400bowsaw2001.jpg

Lovin this.

I wish I had taken pics of the first saw I bought on eBay. It was a shinny 360. They shipped it in a huge box with the bar off and one piece of foam in the box. It played pinball the whole way here. My 3800 craftsman was packaged almost the same way with a bar and chain that didn't fit the saw, even though they were on it in the pics on eBay.

Keep the pics coming! I'm so anal retentive when I ship a saw it could have made it through a nuclear holocost for the survivors to cut up all the downed trees. Any of you ever seen a distribution center for a shipper in action? It's wild.

I'll stick with my original thought that it had to be poor handling by the shipper to have a bar come through a box that didn't already have a hole in it. The box has apparently been subject to being dropped a time or two or being thrown into a trailer or something similar. If the shipping companies showed any pride in their work you shouldn't have to put a saw in a space age capsule to prevent damage.

I wish I had taken pics of the first saw I bought on eBay. It was a shinny 360. They shipped it in a huge box with the bar off and one piece of foam in the box. It played pinball the whole way here. My 3800 craftsman was packaged almost the same way with a bar and chain that didn't fit the saw, even though they were on it in the pics on eBay.

Keep the pics coming! I'm so anal retentive when I ship a saw it could have made it through a nuclear holocost for the survivors to cut up all the downed trees. Any of you ever seen a distribution center for a shipper in action? It's wild.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ship another saw if I did see a distribution center in action. I've seen the results and that's enough..

Crazy

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ship another saw if I did see a distribution center in action. I've seen the results and that's enough..

My buddy worked at a trucking place in Carlisle pa. He watched a guy ram the forks through a new Harley crate and send it on its way. He told me stories like that all the time.

When shipping a complete saw, I usually wrap the bar as if I'm shipping it alone. It seems to have a harder time 'punching its way out' when I do that.

Me too, surround it with cardboard , lay it flat on the bottom. a little packing material under the saw, bag the saw, surround the saw with packing. I try to use double thick cardboard boxes when shipping saws.
j

I'll stick with my original thought that it had to be poor handling by the shipper to have a bar come through a box that didn't already have a hole in it. The box has apparently been subject to being dropped a time or two or being thrown into a trailer or something similar. If the shipping companies showed any pride in their work you shouldn't have to put a saw in a space age capsule to prevent damage.

You have no idea the amount of packages that they move in a day. I think there overall rate of damage is really pretty good. If you wanted them to be perfect, you would then squawk about paying even more for there serivices.

The ones needing to show some more pride are the shippers. You CAN NOT leave a bare bar laying loose in a box to cut though it like a knife.

I have shipped plenty of saws with bars and have never had one damaged or a bar lost. I guess I take pride in packing one up right.

I have worked in a warehouse for the last 3 years straight and have countless times seen thousands and thousands of dollars of things shipped in $5 worth of packaging and yes there the ones that always arrive here damaged.

Back