Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone ,I haven't posted in a month of Sundays but I just picked up a PP Super 380 and am wanting to know how it's different from the PP365 other than the air filter setup. There is a sticker on the case below the carb screws that says "13500 max RPM" and I'm pretty sure the 365 doesn't rev that high. I'd be grateful for any info. Thanks, Dan

If anyone runs across a 3400 decal for the clutch cover please let me know. I see the 3700 decals online but not the 3400's

Thanks
Mark

Hello everyone ,I haven't posted in a month of Sundays but I just picked up a PP Super 380 and am wanting to know how it's different from the PP365 other than the air filter setup. There is a sticker on the case below the carb screws that says "13500 max RPM" and I'm pretty sure the 365 doesn't rev that high. I'd be grateful for any info. Thanks, Dan

Off the top of my head. 365 has smaller carb, smaller intake boot, diff af like you said. My 365 and 3500 all could do that rpm, but think they had 12.5k in paperwork. But I like them ALL fatter. Same as I did my 3750's which is a green 380.

sawmandave- enjoyed your sign and sancasts, still have a green 54 with a bow.
what model is that saw you ask about ?, i have never seen one.
also i have wondered what the poulan symbol on the signs represents, if anything. i have heard it called the christmas tree but thought it looked like a spinning top. any others ?

What's a fair price for a 5200 counter vibe just the power head. Cosmetically ok, half paint is gone, cylinder and piston look great. Doesn't run, will need carb kit and maybe fuel lines too run but everything is there. Thoughts?

What's a fair price for a 5200 counter vibe just the power head. Cosmetically ok, half paint is gone, cylinder and piston look great. Doesn't run, will need carb kit and maybe fuel lines too run but everything is there. Thoughts?

I'd guess North of $200, but that's me. A running 5200, higher. Fairly rare saws. I'm sure some have found them cheaper.

Real glad to be back in the game.. I was posting around #6700 in this thread, about 4 years ago! Still have my poulan/craftsman 3400 with Chain brake.. started using again last week to start cutting up 6 cord back near Halifax, Nova Scotia. After running a few tanks of 25:1 (semi synthtic oil with 87 Octane gas), just to be safe, I'm looking to step it up. Think I'll go to 35:1 with 89 Octane or perhaps 91. Any thoughts on that? Muffler Mod/Remove Spark Arrestor? I like baby steps. This thing is in incredible shape.

Part of my thinking, is that yesterday I used my recently aquired Pioneer 1200A (with the same 25:1/87 mix), and it outperformed the 3400. The pioneer really is a beast. $20 at the flea market. Cleaned the plug and fresh fuel, sharpened the chain and it was chewing up 14" Maple and Oak.

Now it's healthy competition mode. I appreciate any thoughts out there, and I'll get some pics of them both up shortly.

Real glad to be back in the game.. I was posting around #6700 in this thread, about 4 years ago! Still have my poulan/craftsman 3400 with Chain brake.. started using again last week to start cutting up 6 cord back near Halifax, Nova Scotia. After running a few tanks of 25:1 (semi synthtic oil with 87 Octane gas), just to be safe, I'm looking to step it up. Think I'll go to 35:1 with 89 Octane or perhaps 91. Any thoughts on that? Muffler Mod/Remove Spark Arrestor? I like baby steps. This thing is in incredible shape.

Part of my thinking, is that yesterday I used my recently aquired Pioneer 1200A (with the same 25:1/87 mix), and it outperformed the 3400. The pioneer really is a beast. $20 at the flea market. Cleaned the plug and fresh fuel, sharpened the chain and it was chewing up 14" Maple and Oak.

Now it's healthy competition mode. I appreciate any thoughts out there, and I'll get some pics of them both up shortly.

I am no expert...

I drilled out the diffuser holes and opened up the muffler body (see posts a few pages back) as well. Turn the H counter clockwise a tad and re-tune to 4 stroke out and clean under load. I am about 1 1/4 on L and just under 1 on H (my Walbro runs rich and I set the metering lever just below flush). I have also removed the base gasket on the cylinder and reset using Motoseal. I also took an old air filter and burnt the flocking down to wire mesh and cut and glued silk screen silk - you can get fine SS filter cloth on EBay. It is likely around 250 threads per inch or more. Seems to breath better but I will be making a couple of SS ones soon. You just don't want fine bark dust etc getting through the filter into the carb. Be careful if you modify the filter.

As for the fuel. Nothing but Chevron Super Supreme. We can get 94 ethanol free in BC and for the extra 15 cents or so a litre it is a no-brainer for me. I notice all of my saws run better. Try and get it from a busy dealer so as to be certain it is fresh. Folks are reluctant to fill their cars given the price so high volume stations will likely have the freshest supply.

I mix Stihl oil (non synthetic) at a ratio of 35:1 and buy enough fuel for a weekend at a time. Leftover goes in the truck. A bit retentive perhaps but I like to take full advantage of fresh fuel.

Good luck.

Cory

Thanks Cory.. I removed the spark arrestor, that's it for now. I removed the intake screen, and blew it out as best I could with compressed air and a bit of dry scrubbing, and put it back on.

I had a problem with the saw not wanting to turn up again after a cut (stalled as soon as I touched throttle), if I let it idle for longer than 10 seconds or so. I noted my H screw was only turned out 1/2 turn. I have it out to 1 full turn now, and it resolved that problem. I didn't touch the other screws.

I'll see what oil I can find, and might go to 30 or 35 to 1. I don't think I'll go quite as far in the quest for gas freshness, but I only have enough to get about 1/2 through my 6 cords. I'll get 91 Octane (most I can get in Halifax) next time though.

I need to check compression in the 1200A and the 3400, and sharpen up the chain a tad on the 3400, and then the competition will be on. Don't think I'll get a clutch on the Homelite XL 150 to get it into the mix this year, but ..maybe.. lol

Well here is the 5200 I picked up today after I cleaned it up a bit. Pull cord broke trying to start it so I've got to get one tonight and see if she'll fire up.

Latest posts

Back