Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts? I don't know really, as long as OEM is available (which I think these are) then I don't really mess around that much with others.

I think the 3450 used the piston with the cutout on the side for what I call the semi closed port cylinder so I'm not sure the flat side Husky piston is what you want to go with on them. Someone who modifies saws more then I do might be able to give you better advice on those.

I do know at one time, Ed (Arrowhead) and I were discussing piston swaps with those saws before he built the Craftsman with the Stihl top end and we thought the Stihl 290-390 pistons might work on them. They were very close if I remember right but were flat sided pistons and would probably work better in the 335 type cylinders. I know the 290 piston is 46mm and the 390 was 49mm. Don't hold me to it though, I forget stuff..

My other thought is that a $15 piston is probably a POS.. Just sayin.

Hum more ideas.

Here's , also , what I found in comparison.
The 3540 and 55 both have the transfers open running up the cylinder wall.

Pistons are both round with side cut outs at the base.
Husky
s-l225.jpg
Poulan
s-l225.jpg

I was tossing things around and just trying to think outside the box a bit. As for the quality, I don't know. There are a bunch of guys using the Hyway stuff that's made in Taiwan. I guess time will tell if they last. I just used an after market p/c on a Makita/Dolmar cutoff saw rebuild. Go figure, the aftermarket product quality looked better than the OEM on the saw. The problem that we are running into with most older saws is that the OEM parts are going scarce and just about any replacements are from over seas. I hate to support that market but sometimes we get stuck. If we don't try new stuff we will never know...

Attachments

• 20160215_141515(1).jpg
    20160215_141515(1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20160215_141256.jpg
    20160215_141256.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20160215_141645.jpg
    20160215_141645.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 2016-02-15 14.27.50.jpg
    2016-02-15 14.27.50.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
There was method behind my madness. I may have found an alternative to a the the Poulan 3540 46mm piston which can be hard to find. After researching with the thought of Husky and Poulan being related via Electrolux, a Husky 55 piston might just work. Both saws have the same stroke of 32mm and from what I'm seeing the wrist pin bearings on both are 13mm which makes it compatible with the Poulan connecting rod.

The thing that I can't find is the length of 55 piston cut outs in the skirt length, total length of skirt, the crown to ring measurements and crown to pin. A 1.4 mm less the whole way around the length of the entire skirt and cut outs should be only about 5* change in timing numbers which is negotiable. Anything more will be a problem. If lengths are too long - fix with a Dremel. The crown to center of pin and crown to ring measurement are another story.

There are quite a few on evil bay for less than $15 shipped.

What are your thoughts?
Wished I could help ya, tossed a 51 piston a few months ago that I had swapped over to a 55 P/C for my son-in-law.

Steve

Did a bit of checking today. All of these had spark but not all had good compression.
Didn't attempt to see if any thing tried to run yet. Will probably clean tanks, replace fuel lines and filters, and pull carbs off for a better look first.

I little Poulan tid bit - the "Craftsman 3.0" is not really a 3.0 cubic inch saw. I grew up with one. The manual states 49cc inside the cover on the specs. But all other documentation and cross references say Poulan 3400.

Hum more ideas.

Here's , also , what I found in comparison.
The 3540 and 55 both have the transfers open running up the cylinder wall.

Pistons are both round with side cut outs at the base.
Husky
s-l225.jpg
Poulan
s-l225.jpg

I was tossing things around and just trying to think outside the box a bit. As for the quality, I don't know. There are a bunch of guys using the Hyway stuff that's made in Taiwan. I guess time will tell if they last. I just used an after market p/c on a Makita/Dolmar cutoff saw rebuild. Go figure, the aftermarket product quality looked better than the OEM on the saw. The problem that we are running into with most older saws is that the OEM parts are going scarce and just about any replacements are from over seas. I hate to support that market but sometimes we get stuck. If we don't try new stuff we will never know...

From what I've read here--no direct experience--in quite a few threads where the AM pistons have been discussed, you might need to clean up some rough edges, but overall the pistons are of good quality. My thinking is a saw used for often for much serious cutting might need the very best piston you can get, which might be OEM, but for an occasional use saw the AM piston should be fine. Of course I could be wrong.

Got home from work Sunday night and decided to spend a few hours in garage playing with saws. Nothing major, put a fresh carb kit in one of the 5200's and finally got around to doing a carb kit and muff mod on my other red 3.7. Starting to get the hang of these 3400 style muff mods, I think this is the 5th one I've done. Drilled out the holes in the diffuser and standard slit on the side.

20160215_010022_resized.jpg

Did a bit of checking today. All of these had spark but not all had good compression.

Craftsman 2.3

20160215_141515(1).jpg

Craftsman 3.0

20160215_141256.jpg

Poulan Pro 221

20160215_141645.jpg

Poulan Pro 4620AV

2016-02-15 14.27.50.jpg

Didn't attempt to see if any thing tried to run yet. Will probably clean tanks, replace fuel lines and filters, and pull carbs off for a better look first.

The low compression on the 2.3 and the 3.0 (3400) are typical and the saws should run very well at that level if all else is OK

Got home from work Sunday night and decided to spend a few hours in garage playing with saws. Nothing major, put a fresh carb kit in one of the 5200's and finally got around to doing a carb kit and muff mod on my other red 3.7. Starting to get the hang of these 3400 style muff mods, I think this is the 5th one I've done. Drilled out the holes in the diffuser and standard slit on the side.

View attachment 486513
Both my 3400 mufflers came pre-modded, someone drilled six 1/4" holes across the front. It is loud.

Steve

Back