Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup. That's why I like the side vents that Mark uses.

Yeah that is the only way I do them. My 3400, 3700, and both red 3.7's have the side exit just like the 4000 stock muffler. They look stock with that mod, sound good and wakes the saw up a bit. Plus you can do that mod in about 20 minutes.

Yeah that is the only way I do them. My 3400, 3700, and both red 3.7's have the side exit just like the 4000 stock muffler. They look stock with that mod, sound good and wakes the saw up a bit. Plus you can do that mod in about 20 minutes.

I muff modded most of my saws that have restrictive mufflers. Even with a saw adjusted to an optimum tune those mufflers hold in excess exhaust, heat up and are a recipe for carbon buildup and scored pistons.

With a regular torch, small chisel and small hammer you can get the mod straight on the outer edge.

dscf3911-jpg.355925

I muff modded most of my saws that have restrictive mufflers. Even with a saw adjusted to an optimum tune those mufflers hold in excess exhaust, heat up and are a recipe for carbon buildup and scored pistons.

With a regular torch, small chisel and small hammer you can get the mod straight on the outer edge.

dscf3911-jpg.355925

That looks really good, almost factory.

dscf3911-jpg.355925
Key lime?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Thanks. That was the 3400 and muff mod that I did before joining AS. Pulled the pick from my 1st post on the Poulan thread almost 400 pages ago - page 1584.

Yup.

Do you guys that do this same muff mod put the spark screen back in or leave it out after you drill out the diffuser? I leave mine out.

Do you guys that do this same muff mod put the spark screen back in or leave it out after you drill out the diffuser? I leave mine out.

I leave them out. Here's the way I look at it, if the saw is running right with no carbon buildup, the filters are good and have a good seal not taking any dirt into the piston the saw really should not be producing any sparks unless there is a major problem. I have only seen sparks from a chain that is being pushed on too hard, running really dirty or way to dry.

Another factor that plays into the equation is where I cut is usually not that dry. If there is something like drought conditions or I lived in a place that was dry all the time I would probably reinstall for a period of time or leave in all the time. That's just my 2 cents.

I think I spend $200 in duck bills a year. Between 3400, S25DA and 245a fuel caps I go through a lot

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back