Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The HDB-8 off of the '79 3400.

Also discovered the early units do not have a built in trigger/throttle return spring. The trigger does not have the same travel as the later units. Linkage needed considerable tweaking to get the throttle lock to engage properly. All likely contributing to the pesky starting issue the PO (and I) struggled with.
I have two slightly different NOS throttle wires also

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I got a pp last weekend on the cheap. It needs a anti vibe spring that connected to the jug whats a good substitute or replacement for the springs. I have used brake hardware in the passed.

Waiting on Jesus

Not posting as "for sale" in here, per se, but just an advance of what's going up in the trading post shortly, or eBay..
8160c73c3b4523c0ee60aa8753277df9.jpg

51d070f0b8d7ebf322161440a883a121.jpg

3500 timbermaster
a55c044bcaae857fc4a6dfcfed428a98.jpg

ea9f7b1c235cfdfd73de8be186649bbc.jpg

Pair of Skil 1636.

A buddy of mine brought me a 3500 one time. Before he brought it, he said he found it in his dad's shed, tried to start it, and it wouldn't hit.

What I found was a saw that I guess had been run just enough from the factory to tune and had never been put in wood. The fuel line had cracked so he couldn't get gas, and the diaphragm was pretty stiff. But there was no sawdust in the clutch cover and the chain was brand new. The saw had never seen wood best I could tell. Not a scratch on the thing.

I offered him good money for it, but it had sentimental value to him, so he declined. :-/

Is that HDB-8 carb an independent, or dependent, design for the two mixture needles? In other words, does the same high speed fuel pickup port also serve the low?

Adjustments make me think it's got a laquer film or some other crap in the low speed orifice, and needs a good copper wire or drill bit cleaning.

I know that's not recommended by Walbro, but if you gently twist (by hand) a smaller size number drill around the hole & see debris on the drill flutes, you need to really clean it out.
Thanks Randy,

The fuel supplies are independent. I think that seat for the L is a bit off. I took a hand lens and inspected it. A bit of a bump around the hole is how I would describe it. I took a round wooden toothpick and some Autosol. Gently lapped the seat. It may have helped a bit. Lean drop off is around 1 1/8 and rich 1 5/8. Set it somewhere in the middle. I have to have the idle set pretty high. Hot starts are fussy after sitting for more than a couple minutes or so. Mind you, I have battled with hot starts on this series unless I open the throttle and pull hard. Could be the way I set them up. Dunno. The "starts first/second pull cold and right away hot..." has eluded me to this point.

Not yet. When I was rooting around in my Poulan spare parts I came across this skil. Kinda went down a rabbit trail. I do know where the spare points/condenser is though. That's coming up soon. Thanks for asking
pulled the "new" points/condenser; points look good and smooth (unlike the dimpled one I filed down) and the condenser reads the correct capacitance. we may have a winner. we'll see

EDIT - we do have a winner. Runs good. Now just gotta outfit it with b/c.

Can anyone get in touch with Modified Mark ?
i promised him first choice on a saw if i ever sold it.
lost his phone and his email.
pm me if you can help .
tnx.

Hey fellas, haven't posted in a bit, been busy with a new addition to the family:) Been selling saws more than acquiring lately, went from 12-13 to 5 right now. Other priorities. Done a little cutting but not a whole lot. Anyway, here's what I have as of today, definitely enough to cut wood for a long time still haha!

IMG_0494.JPG

I gave folks 24hr jump on this on chainsaw repair site as they always get first crack at stuff I find. ;)

Anyhow friend has a old hardcopy poulan SM that he is selling for $65. Dated May 1976. Just in case any of you that bleed green are interested here. I'm not so passing the info on.
Can pick up on a hour round trip.

psma.jpg psmb.jpg psmc.jpg

Hey fellas, haven't posted in a bit, been busy with a new addition to the family:) Been selling saws more than acquiring lately, went from 12-13 to 5 right now. Other priorities. Done a little cutting but not a whole lot. Anyway, here's what I have as of today, definitely enough to cut wood for a long time still haha!

View attachment 518612

Congrats on the recent arrival!

Back