Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a thing of beauty! I've used lots of saws, own a Stihl, a Husky and a couple others but my favorite is my Countervibe 4000. Maybe it's just nostalgia bc it was handled down to me by my father, but despite weighing a ton, I love that saw. I'm about to purchase a 3400 this weekend and would like to add a larger one to my collection - a 5200 if I can find a good one. It's a shame parts are so hard to come by.
Tons of 3400's around. Prices are over the place, though.

I would think if it were crank seals it would want to race from the lean running , unless there so bad that it won't even make vacuum to pump fuel. That would be hard to imagine. But I guess possible.
I think you may be right boomer. Although it's too early to say it doesn't need seals. Got that peckerwood running a while ago. Got to thinking it wasn't getting fuel. Realized I had cleaned everything EXCEPT the port from the fuel tank to the carb chamber. Took the lines off and sure nuff couldn't even blow air through it. Had to use a punch and piece of coat hanger wire to push whatever it was back into the fuel line. Blew it back out the other end with compressed air; after I removed the filter. Dang I'm glad that's solved. Now to see how it actually runs. Dumpster saws! Whaddayagonnado? But more of course. Y'all pay attention now ya hear

I think you may be right boomer. Although it's too early to say it doesn't need seals. Got that peckerwood running a while ago. Got to thinking it wasn't getting fuel. Realized I had cleaned everything EXCEPT the port from the fuel tank to the carb chamber. Took the lines off and sure nuff couldn't even blow air through it. Had to use a punch and piece of coat hanger wire to push whatever it was back into the fuel line. Blew it back out the other end with compressed air; after I removed the filter. Dang I'm glad that's solved. Now to see how it actually runs. Dumpster saws! Whaddayagonnado? But more of course. Y'all pay attention now ya hear

Sounds like you found the culprit...see this is why you take little steps and use your head like a woodpecker. No reason to instantly jump to it needs crank seals. Many other culprits out there.

Anyone got a complete clutch cover for a 306A? Someone in the past tightened the bar nuts down without seating the cover. Result - 4 cracks; foot is gone too though that mayve been a separate issue. Got lots of Poulan stuff to trade

You sure know that series of saw. What was wrong with it?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

All the rubber av's busted through. Tore a impulse line, fubbared front coil av. Amazed it didnt rip the boot. I pulled it and checked.
New fuel line I use that seats around the opening way better then the smaller OD lines.

Oh you were asking about hourly rate. ;) I would never ever pay shop rates for a chainsaw.

I had 2hrs in this and charged the guy $65 for parts and labor.

All the rubber av's busted through. Tore a impulse line, fubbared front coil av. Amazed it didnt rip the boot. I pulled it and checked.
New fuel line I use that seats around the opening way better then the smaller OD lines.

Oh you were asking about hourly rate. ;) I would never ever pay shop rates for a chainsaw.

I had 2hrs in this and charged the guy $65 for parts and labor.

yep, rate + parts adds up quick, makin lotta saws not worth the time/$. gotta cut deals or there'd be more left here.

I had a stihl 046 come into me that the stihl dealer est was $700. I did it for $200 and got a nice mixed 6pak of craft brew.

Got a little husky 350 in that the est from husky dealer was over $300 for repairs and told them to buy a new saw. Brought it to me and I did it for $50-$75. Cant remember on that one for sure. There was like 3 of those that came in close together needing same work.

Little green score tonight.
2b92e74e7a0dc0b586651a5ac885c198.jpg

2 3400s and a 4000.
The 4000 is beat to hell, but all the hard to find parts are there. Luckily I have a good black handle in my pile to fix it up.
The 3400 in the middle appears to be an early model and has the adjustable oiler to boot!

Latest posts

Back