Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy WOW, that was a tough one, I sometimes screw a drywall screw in it and pry up with a small bar
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hole drilling & a drywall screw was next in order.
The clutch side & oil pump cover seal were both a snap to pull out.

I edited the post above as it's at least 45 years old.
Idles & runs through wood like a champ.

So I built my first saw, and ran it for the first time today!

338dd6c7e10fc532c9a0d7cb80211bd0.jpg

I had a friend give me a Poulan 2075, it was a 36cc with a 16" bar. It ran great but cut pretty miserably, it wouldn't cut out but just didn't have a lot of power. So I took it all apart to clean it because it tried to catch on fire from all the oily dust next to the jug on the clutch side. So I decided to open the ports up while I had it apart, while I was working on that I tried to carelessly test fit to mark my clearance from the bottom of exhaust port to the bottom of the piston skirt, I put the piston in backwards and the end of the ring caught the exhaust port and snapped.

6672f716d72a8ed065210698a5f449a8.jpg

af09f1b2676ab37aa04e34eeb9888566.jpg

37d49c36bd64f8cacd2eaf5e6e19b5ff.jpg

01a9fcd4da22fcecc51046ba6e761ad6.jpg

da93a952434e381f583db798420a3450.jpg

So then I said screw it and went and bought two more poulan (craftsman) saws one of which was a 42cc. So I robbed the 42 cc P&C, ported the exhaust pretty big, and then did the intake with a combo of mild porting and piston cutting. I also ported the carb mount to match the intake, and removed the air restrictor in the "air box". I removed the baffle and screen from the muffler, opened up one of the factory ports, and made 3 more 1/4 inch ports on the front of the muffler. Originally I cut the exhaust deflector so that it blocked the engine but nothing else, but it was directing the exhaust straight at the chain brake mechanism so I put a factory one from the donor saw on. I have an 18" bar for it but the chain is pretty smoked, so I have a little 14"er on there for now! Hey, I had a mint 14" bar and chain sitting around.

45e1838b917bd86f799da9afddb5d2c0.jpg

So I took it today to cut some firewood, there's a maple that was dropped about a year and a half ago, at least 28"-30" if not a little bigger. I started the saw and let it warm up, it didn't want to stay running on its own but I knew I needed to tune it. So I got it close enough that it would idle and had good throttle response without a load, but when I started cutting it seemed just as hopeless as before. But after some more adjustments I have it running pretty good, and man will it lay that 14" through that hard maple! I think I'm going to buy a 16" bar for it, it will definitely turn the 18" without any problems but I like the extra speed and I usually don't cut anything for fire wood over 20", simply because I don't have anything that big on my property. It would have been real nice having the 18" today for that huge maple though! They where on a huge steep banking so I had to noodle them in half before I even cut them off, just so I could get it up the hill.

Only problem is my thoughts of deflecting the exhaust away from plastic parts backfired. The open port on the back put out to much air and the deflector was to restrictive, so all the hot air turned around and went out the other side, straight through my plastic top cover! Guess you can't win them all.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

So I was thinking about a winter project. I have and extra 54cc 3300 p/c. I'm wondering if I could modify and make it work in a 2300 cva or 2400. I know one is case reed and the other not. I don't think sealing off the intake port on the 54ccer would be a problem - I think I could do some grinding to help prevent a JB weld filler plug from sucking in. The other thing is if the case volume will support the larger cylinder. On a good note I think they are both the same stroke. I still have to think about and look at a few other things once I get the 2300 apart like piston clearance, reed size reed block size and the wrist pin size. What do you think?

So I built my first saw, and ran it for the first time today!

338dd6c7e10fc532c9a0d7cb80211bd0.jpg

I had a friend give me a Poulan 2075, it was a 36cc with a 16" bar. It ran great but cut pretty miserably, it wouldn't cut out but just didn't have a lot of power. So I took it all apart to clean it because it tried to catch on fire from all the oily dust next to the jug on the clutch side. So I decided to open the ports up while I had it apart, while I was working on that I tried to carelessly test fit to mark my clearance from the bottom of exhaust port to the bottom of the piston skirt, I put the piston in backwards and the end of the ring caught the exhaust port and snapped.

6672f716d72a8ed065210698a5f449a8.jpg

af09f1b2676ab37aa04e34eeb9888566.jpg

37d49c36bd64f8cacd2eaf5e6e19b5ff.jpg

01a9fcd4da22fcecc51046ba6e761ad6.jpg

da93a952434e381f583db798420a3450.jpg

So then I said screw it and went and bought two more poulan (craftsman) saws one of which was a 42cc. So I robbed the 42 cc P&C, ported the exhaust pretty big, and then did the intake with a combo of mild porting and piston cutting. I also ported the carb mount to match the intake, and removed the air restrictor in the "air box". I removed the baffle and screen from the muffler, opened up one of the factory ports, and made 3 more 1/4 inch ports on the front of the muffler. Originally I cut the exhaust deflector so that it blocked the engine but nothing else, but it was directing the exhaust straight at the chain brake mechanism so I put a factory one from the donor saw on. I have an 18" bar for it but the chain is pretty smoked, so I have a little 14"er on there for now! Hey, I had a mint 14" bar and chain sitting around.

45e1838b917bd86f799da9afddb5d2c0.jpg

So I took it today to cut some firewood, there's a maple that was dropped about a year and a half ago, at least 28"-30" if not a little bigger. I started the saw and let it warm up, it didn't want to stay running on its own but I knew I needed to tune it. So I got it close enough that it would idle and had good throttle response without a load, but when I started cutting it seemed just as hopeless as before. But after some more adjustments I have it running pretty good, and man will it lay that 14" through that hard maple! I think I'm going to buy a 16" bar for it, it will definitely turn the 18" without any problems but I like the extra speed and I usually don't cut anything for fire wood over 20", simply because I don't have anything that big on my property. It would have been real nice having the 18" today for that huge maple though! They where on a huge steep banking so I had to noodle them in half before I even cut them off, just so I could get it up the hill.

Only problem is my thoughts of deflecting the exhaust away from plastic parts backfired. The open port on the back put out to much air and the deflector was to restrictive, so all the hot air turned around and went out the other side, straight through my plastic top cover! Guess you can't win them all.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk
If you leave the two louvers intact then open a 1/4" by 1/2" area down stream of each louver it will flow properly .

Might want to cut the cooling fins down some and what about the spark plug and exhaust. Where are you going to position those?

Steve

I have a couple other projects on the bench right now so it will be a while... I won't know any details until I get the 2300 apart. The other thing that I was thinking about was the cylinder bolt alignment. I know there will be a cluster of things that may need addressed. If too much it will turn into a past idea.

Back