Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ran my Poulan 4000 chainsaw for the first time after rebuild today. New piston and ring kit from Lil Red Barn, new bearings and seals, cylinder base gasket delete. Now I need to figure out why the oiler isn't working. It worked fine before I took the saw apart.

Video Link:

Delano1981, nice looking 4000. I purely love the 4000's. I just wanted to ask how you removed the wrist pin. I keep looking for the true Poulan removal tool throughout the internet, but know there are other ways to do this. I really should say if you're qualified, and to date, I don't fall into that category. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with your saw. Best, Max.

I've been struggling trying to install the metal cups that go on both sides of the isolaters on the 3400 series saws, is there a trick to it?
No trick, just a pain. A little lube helps, cups have to go on first and then fight to get the isolaters in. Helps to use a Philips screw driver also as a lineup shaft because it is pointed.

Steve

I just ran my Poulan 4000 chainsaw for the first time after rebuild today. New piston and ring kit from Lil Red Barn, new bearings and seals, cylinder base gasket delete. Now I need to figure out why the oiler isn't working. It worked fine before I took the saw apart.

Video Link:

Pull the pump and check the oil line. It's common for them to crack or split.

Also, new gaskets would be good. Diaphragms are very hard to find.

Make sure the check ball isn't stuck in the oiler.

I believe Acornhill has new pumps if you can't get it going.

Thin your oil some with diesel fuel or kerosine in cold weather or use winter bar and chain oil.

Pull the pump and check the oil line. It's common for them to crack or split.

Also, new gaskets would be good. Diaphragms are very hard to find.

Make sure the check ball isn't stuck in the oiler.

I believe Acornhill has new pumps if you can't get it going.

Thin your oil some with diesel fuel or kerosine in cold weather or use winter bar and chain oil.

Thank you for the help. I am about to pull the pump off right now and take a look.

I will keep you posted on how it does. I did notice right off that it has very good compression, at least by how it felt pulling it. But that could also be from the gasket delete. I have been doing some searching for info on the oiler pump and it appears that they can be fragile and need to be handled with care. I hope I can get it working, parts look to be pretty scarce these days. I won't be able to really test the saw out without a working oiler.

What I've done....FWIW.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-2477#post-6726890

Latest posts

Back