Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right it is plastic very well made plastic fooled me. I’m not quite sure but it looks like yours is a different color green. Did they not make the 3300 like mine very long. I haven’t found out a whole lot about them. I was partner only, till I found this dang website now the mid 80’s saws r all fair game. Thanks for your reply

The one I showed was a 3750 60cc. Only ones I knew of in states with green chain break clutch covers 3450 3750.

You going to have to use what you can get in green IMHO.

2 3300 runners and 1 parts saw.

1st pic dad bought new 93-94.
2nd-3rd cv-2 build from part saw.
4th new parts saw to have on hand.

p33.jpgp3300xx.jpgp3300xxx.jpgp3300pppppp.jpg

I noticed some differences in the mufflers, the fist picture is the original 1979 muffler. It has a large hole followed by a series of small in the diffuser. The exhaust ports in the muffler are also different from the later model, it has multiple small holes as apposed to the 2 besides the larger. View attachment 829902
Second photo is the later model I modified and bagged the original untouched. View attachment 829903
[/QUOTE
I believe thats the first I have seen of that early one with the large hole in diffuser. Learn something every day. Have only seen the other type, which I generally just drill the holes larger. And it was the same for all those midsize saws that I know of. 3400. 3700 and 4000.

4000old 032.jpg

I noticed some differences in the mufflers, the fist picture is the original 1979 muffler. It has a large hole followed by a series of small in the diffuser. The exhaust ports in the muffler are also different from the later model, it has multiple small holes as apposed to the 2 besides the larger. View attachment 829902
Second photo is the later model I modified and bagged the original untouched. View attachment 829903

I came across one of those diffusers about 5 years ago. The big hole ones have about 8% less open area.

Another difference in the series is the length of the rear handle. I had a pic but can't find it but I must have mixed a couple of the LH handle halves (the cover for the trigger section) and there is about 1/4" difference in length which shows up at the AF end.

And then there's the new and old oil tank caps which don't interchange but have the same PN

A 3400 curiosity.

Here's 3400 I picked up 4 years ago and haven't paid it much attention. I thought it was a crappy repaint in a pale yellow color, but it's factory paint.
If you check the clear label pics you can see the yellow paint underneath.
The saw itself is a repaint of a green 3400, 61cc saw (3700 top end) which was only sold in Canada. I bought it as one of those but the top end is a 3400.
I do have two of the 61cc 3400 versions.
Quite a few of the Canadian saws that were rebranded have green or red or bright yellow underneath and I have a 4200 (assembled in the USA) which is a repaint of a red Craftsman 4.2

I have never seen this color on any other 3400.

A very interesting find for me is the brake which has a 1979 date slug in the cover. I had always assumed the brakes came out a few years after that.
Except for two Red Craftsman 3.7 (3700) saws that were made in the US, all the other saws I have in the series were assembled in Canada.

I was getting this ready to sell but I think I'll keep it. I need to start getting rid of some saws.DSCF4340.JPGDSCF4341.JPGDSCF4344.JPGDSCF4345.JPGDSCF4346.JPGDSCF4339.JPG

It has been quite a while since I have been on AS. Just learned of Nik's passing, through Brad's YouTube video he made, honoring Nik's memory. I never got to meet Nik in person, just in bantering about here on the site. Everything I heard ever heard about him was good, never once heard a bad thing. I am saddened by the news, especially considering the fact that he was far too young. Knowing that he touched the lives of many here will keep his spirit alive within us. Whenever I lay eyes on a Pull-On, I will think of Nik. My condolences to his family & to his friends.
RIP Nik.

Vince U

I need to go saw hunting in Augusta, as soon as this mess is over. My wife will be wanting to head down that way to visit her mom and the rest of her family. Give me an excuse to saw hunt, as if I need another. Nice find Gary. Still want to hookup with you one day to browse through your saw parts.
Is that a 4000, I can't tell.
Steve Sidwell

Ha! I saw that bow bar and knew you were close to me . I'm in the upstate SC.
Hey, I’m in North Augusta SC about 2 miles from Augusta GA . I fish Up your way at Hartwell and Keowee some.I like the 4000 bows and the 4200-5200 series . Every time I find one I think it’s the last one out there and I better get it .
Gary

I need to go saw hunting in Augusta, as soon as this mess is over. My wife will be wanting to head down that way to visit her mom and the rest of her family. Give me an excuse to saw hunt, as if I need another. Nice find Gary. Still want to hookup with you one day to browse through your saw parts.
Is that a 4000, I can't tell.
Steve Sidwell
Give me a call when your going to come this way Steve and we’ll get together . A guy can only spend so much time with the MIL on a visit. Haha
Gary

Hey, I’m in North Augusta SC about 2 miles from Augusta GA . I fish Up your way at Hartwell and Keowee some.I like the 4000 bows and the 4200-5200 series . Every time I find one I think it’s the last one out there and I better get it .
Gary
Hartwell (South Carolina) side is one of the parks I work at.

You did well getting 2 of the top saws on most poulan peoples list. Are they both in good condition, p&c good. You are a master at finding them.
This guy said the 4200 started skipping so he pulled the carb ordered a kit for it two years ago . That is as far as he got and lost interest in the “old saw” . I pulled the muffler and it looks real good no scratches or discoloring. And yes the clutch cover has a small crack in it .
Gary

Easy fix for me and my mill, don't need to take it apart. The 4000
I don’t know what happens to my text with that photo . The 4000 cranked fine and seemed to run well . It’s in pretty good cosmetic shape.the new chain and bow are worth what I paid for it .

This guy said the 4200 started skipping so he pulled the carb ordered a kit for it two years ago . That is as far as he got and lost interest in the “old saw” . I pulled the muffler and it looks real good no scratches or discoloring. And yes the clutch cover has a small crack in it .
Gary
Update- cleaned up ,carb kit, new lines This one turned out to be the nicest 4200 I have .DD7771D1-854C-42E2-A82C-84717F658E64.jpegD6028208-3D23-4DC5-9231-065EE6AC4FC3.jpeg
View attachment IMG_2305.MOV

Back