Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a chance on this poulan 4000 65cc being what the recoil, muffler and air filter cover told me in pics.
When seller showed me thin rings I ask pic for of piston. That told me 3700 or 4000.
Has someone’s home brews to high top cover and front of muffler. But shield covers it.
Also looks like they scratched on the upper lower exhaust but did really do anything from looks. Maybe they were just removing carbon.🤷🏼‍♂️
Has metal 3400 clutch cover. 4000 pulley and flywheel. Only black tank 4000’s I had ever saw though had black decals too. Not the early blue. Anyone?
Looks like my parts saw handle has a use now.
Someone carved the stihl fuel filter to try and use. No wonder it fell off.

Got this wrong but least fuel line goes to carb.

Can see in the one pic where it must have set on a concrete floor for awhile. 😬
Check and cleaning none through. 😎

New one for me on these. Never had the long front handle bolt snap off inside the handle. 😳From parts saw with hoping going to be used handle.

Drilling out broken bolt didn’t work. No threads left and over size bolt not a option.
Figures was my last handle in that style.

Bore check checked out 4000

View attachment 1029342View attachment 1029343View attachment 1029344View attachment 1029346

Can't exactly remember how it works in the handle but can you go quite a bit bigger like 10mm? Lock tight that in there then drill out the centre back to standard?

Sad the top cover got "hot rodded" :(

I've got a spare handle but it's a little cist prohibitive to send it

Can't exactly remember how it works in the handle but can you go quite a bit bigger like 10mm? Lock tight that in there then drill out the centre back to standard?

Sad the top cover got "hot rodded" :(

I've got a spare handle but it's a little cist prohibitive to send it
Thanks for offer. I got a handle on the way.

I didnt want to try and cut new threads and use bigger bolt. Figured I would run into other issues thrying to run it through everything to get to other side.
I have a pile of handles too from parts saw. But that was my last one for these on parts saw and one on it tweaked bad.

Yeah I hated seeing that. Might try to clean it up some and run a black prefilter screen across it.

phandles.jpg

Thanks for offer. I got a handle on the way.

I didnt want to try and cut new threads and use bigger bolt. Figured I would run into other issues thrying to run it through everything to get to other side.
I have a pile of handles too from parts saw. But that was my last one for these on parts saw and one on it tweaked bad.

Yeah I hated seeing that. Might try to clean it up some and run a black prefilter screen across it.

View attachment 1029359

It's gutting when some goober messes up NLA parts and does it shyte job of it too

Anyone recall poulan 4000 with black tank with these older decals still?

3400 clutch cover, 4000 air filter cover, 4000 on recoil, looks like a 3800 style black tank. Looks like 4000 muffler style.

Dont want to pay a 100 for a dang 3400.

Think @OhioGregg has a newer 4000 with black decals and tank. But never seen these blue recoil decal on a black tank one.

View attachment 1027752View attachment 1027753
The only black tank 4000 I have has a black handle bar and black decals and a plastic clutch cover. The only 4000 I have with a metal clutch cover is one with a chain brake on it, all the rest are plastic. I have several 3700’sand 3400’s with the mag covers . You probably can’t go wrong at $100, good find.

Attachments

• 64469326-F6AE-4FBE-BB92-A0FD7C1348DF.jpeg
    64469326-F6AE-4FBE-BB92-A0FD7C1348DF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 79598B71-43DB-4F96-BB3F-9EA2877C8097.jpeg
    79598B71-43DB-4F96-BB3F-9EA2877C8097.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Jethro how are you doing. I haven't heard much of anything about the cylinder, last news was the people that make them are to busy with other stuff that they don't have time to do anything with them. When this first started I was so excited but now i have My doubts that it will be done. Hope I'm wrong. This COVID-19 sure made a mess of the whole world.

I had no idea 4000 clutch covers were plastic. My 4000s 1 is a 3400 convert and the oem 4000 has a brake
Jethro, I don’t know that all 4000 clutch covers are plastic but out of the 8 I have the only one that’s metal is the one with the brake on it.

I try to make buying oil simple for locals. Being some dont know or just to lazy to measure 3.2oz out of bulk for 1 gal.
I try and buy good oil in FD for them in 1 gal mix or 2 gal mix sizes.

One of my favorites for them. Same oil as the makita, jakmax, and others under different labels.

poilzz.jpgpoilz.jpg

I decided to change the tanks and handle on my 2375 wild thing. I had a red craftsman 36cc of the same vintage on the shelf that had been butchered before I got it, but the tank was still good.

Someone got their moneys worth out of this saw. I’ve never seen a saw so packed full of sawdust and whatever else saws get packed full of. Photos are after I beat the thing over the garbage can a few times.

Cylinder and piston still looked good though.

E93FC246-C8C1-4474-8C09-29FB7171ED58.jpeg

658F0563-C32C-4722-A185-787F9CC539D1.jpeg

AE352333-4E12-49BC-A5FB-256BA0154F12.jpeg

Auto oiler flows weak. Manual works good.

So far the limited test cutting it is passing.

Red 3.7 thin ring, sold as 3.0 18" really 3.4, 4000.

These series seem to be hard to sell even local unless a collector filling in gaps. Bring more parting out. Why I parted a 3.7 thin ring instead of going through it do to it's roughness.

p4000psi4.jpgp4000han.jpgp4000test.jpg

I have a dumb question. I have been looking at picking up some cheap plastic poulan saws to tinker with this winter. A guy at work gave me a 42cc strato saw allready. When hunting for more am I better off looking for the starto or non can the newer strato modles be ok saws

I have a dumb question. I have been looking at picking up some cheap plastic poulan saws to tinker with this winter. A guy at work gave me a 42cc strato saw allready. When hunting for more am I better off looking for the starto or non can the newer strato modles be ok saws
IMO look for the non strato ones. IMO no comparision in the cuts of basicly same saws in strato and non strato.

260 non and other strato

p26042.jpgp4218p.jpg

Latest posts

Back