Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question ❓
Have a chance to go cut wood this weekend but the temperature is going to be around 10 above zero.
What do I do with the bar oil, i think I saw that 50 50 bar oil and transmission oil. What is the good way
Might have to burn the wood I cut just to stay warm.
There is 10W and 20W winter oils.

Old school was cut with diesel or kero.

Straight from poulan owners manual =
In freezing weather oil will thicken, making

it necessary to thin bar and chain oil with a

small amount of Diesel Fuel #1 or

Kerosene.

Bar and chain oil must be free flowing for the oil system to pump enough oil for ad
equate lubrication.

1. USE THE FOLLOWING;

30"F or above—Lubricant—undiluted.
SO'^-O^F—95% lubricant to 5% Diesel Fuel

#1 or Kerosene.

Below 0°F—90% lubricant to 10% Diesel

Fuel #1 or Kerosene

I mixed up some 50 50 ATF and bar oil. Seems like it will work ok. Once it gets in the saw it doesn't take long to thin out.
I just got thru running the 4000 test engine and it's just fine. The LRB piston in it after about 15 tanks of fuel looks as new as the day i put it together. Running 37:1 klotz 100. That's with the 3400 air filter. I want to be able to buy one and I know you do to. Think positive+++++++++

Another question ❓
Have a chance to go cut wood this weekend but the temperature is going to be around 10 above zero.
What do I do with the bar oil, i think I saw that 50 50 bar oil and transmission oil. What is the good way
I use winter blend bar oil from Napa

Another question ❓
I don't think I have ever tried thinning with diesel as some suggest. But did use a jug of "winter" bar oil once I think. Thats why I do my wood cutting spring, summer, and fall. To darn cold for this quickly aging old fart. When its 10 degrees out, I'm standing in a wood heated house with a cup of coffee looking out the window, saying, I'm sure glad I'm not out there cuttin wood. :drinkingcoffee:

I thin mine with diesel for winter cutting and bit of a sook for a pump. I notice impulse driven pumps don't like the cold but the gear drive huskies don't seem to care. Best oiling saw I have is a 500VL echo. Wind that up and it will dump a tank of cold oil in no time
Another question ❓
I use Napa winter grade bar oil it’s much thinner.

I don't think I have ever tried thinning with diesel as some suggest. But did use a jug of "winter" bar oil once I think. Thats why I do my wood cutting spring, summer, and fall. To darn cold for this quickly aging old fart. When its 10 degrees out, I'm standing in a wood heated house with a cup of coffee looking out the window, saying, I'm sure glad I'm not out there cuttin wood. :drinkingcoffee:
I'm with you. :drinkingcoffee:

When I was much younger I thought cool when I got called for help, while it was cold and snowing. Because I could put my heated handle saws to use.

But no way anymore unless it is a ER for something that has to be done.

Sold everything that was heated, jred, partner, husky. I liked the older muffler heated ones the best.

j490p5000heated.JPGh346oe.jpg

I have been working with my second 8500 that.. was straight gassed. More about that later.
I found out that when you remove the air filter cover there is a small white piece of plastic that you can remove to let some warm air into the carb area. If you look to the left there is another cut out that you slide the piece down into for storage. I was thinking what a smart idea that is. Couple of pictures of it .PXL_20221115_163905923.jpgPXL_20221115_163917322.jpg

Haven’t been on here in a while, recently got out my 4000 after it was a shelf queen for a few years. Wow did I miss it. My old reliable PP4620 finally gave up (I was working her pretty hard) so while I wait for a new piston, worked the 4000. In the past years I fixed the oiler diaphragm and let me just reiterate, this is a beast of a saw. I run low vis Husky oil most of the time but I’ve blended ATF and regular bar oil too. I am in market for a 60cc pro saw now, but this thing is really fun to run, just a little too nice for daily use.

Haven’t been on here in a while, recently got out my 4000 after it was a shelf queen for a few years. Wow did I miss it. My old reliable PP4620 finally gave up (I was working her pretty hard) so while I wait for a new piston, worked the 4000. In the past years I fixed the oiler diaphragm and let me just reiterate, this is a beast of a saw. I run low vis Husky oil most of the time but I’ve blended ATF and regular bar oil too. I am in market for a 60cc pro saw now, but this thing is really fun to run, just a little too nice for daily use.

Well come on show us this pretty 4000 :)

Well come on show us this pretty 4000 :)
The clutch cover is beat up but it works. Last photo is the piston from my 4620 that has given me 13 years of hard use and provided firewood for every winter. I will rebuild it just because I like that little saw.I have a few S25DAs too that I am playing with again now as well, no pics of those yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The clutch cover is beat up but it works. Last photo is the piston from my 4620 that has given me 13 years of hard use and provided firewood for every winter. I will rebuild it just because I like that little saw.I have a few S25DAs too that I am playing with again now as well, no pics of those yet.
Nice. That piston ouch 😳

Cylinder had no marks on it amazingly. But the air filter base seal failed and there was debris all through the carb, intake, and even in the bottom of the case. So new piston and gasket, should be good.

Run that thing. You price new 60cc saws you will love it even more and keep using that 4000. ;)

I sold this 4000 for 200 to local I know and sold lot to.

I have a lesser condition 4000 I took in and fixed now. 3.7 with 3700 thin ring top too. If locals looking for something better then plastic saws for crazy prices.

p4000nnn.jpgp4000nnnnn.jpgp4000nnnnnn.jpgp4000n.jpg

Back