Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Bob , you could remove the clutch , drum and bearing for a run and inspection .
Scott
Yes sir it's on my list just hammered busy at the moment. No time to tinker at the moment so I just grab one that has gas and cut what I have to and put it back. You might say I'm getting behinder and behinder on maintenance!! Lol

https://www.arboristsite.com/forums/chainsaw-parts-tools.151/
May have better luck posting a “Want to Buy” cylinder request in the Tradin’ Post section, also a likely place for the Poulan haters to dump a 306 parts saw.

Good 306 jugs are getting hard to find, as the chrome plating under exhaust port chips off when overheated.

The model 245 top end off a parts saw is a direct swap too, but you’ll need the piston & con rod. Same parts used on the orange Dayton 2Z462 & 463 saws, if you find one.

The Poulan 361 cylinder won’t work.
A 361...... That was the first poulan that helped me realize they actually made decent saws!

Playing around with the 295 a little.
An awesome fella on here ( howdy Scott) walked me through what is a good muffler mod for this particular saw and initial thoughts are that it is much better. Will put in some more wood this weekend after getting it sharpened. Need to do some Dremel work too to convert a safety chain on it to something useful. IMG_20230721_211147305.jpgIMG_20230721_211333583.jpg

If this has been asked before, I do apologize. I did not read all 2989 pages of post. My question is why the Poulan 3400-4000 saws are so popular with the bow saw crowd. I have owned a few 3800s and still own a PP 375. I know these saws have torque to spare, but just find it odd you never see a bow on an 044 or 372 Husky. Any thoughts?

I picked up a craftsman 358.351242 which is equivalent to a Poulan 3500 or PP365 to my knowledge. I'm in the market for a Piston/cylinder and impulse line for the saw. Will the Poulan versions be a direct swap? Can just use fuel line for the impulse? I know on some saws it has to be a different line material.

I saw this kit, any thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1445978962...Jt7aI8avBcfXBWlqWHrnK7IQ==|tkp:Bk9SR5CbkNawYg

If this has been asked before, I do apologize. I did not read all 2989 pages of post. My question is why the Poulan 3400-4000 saws are so popular with the bow saw crowd. I have owned a few 3800s and still own a PP 375. I know these saws have torque to spare, but just find it odd you never see a bow on an 044 or 372 Husky. Any thoughts?
Big difference in kick back between 10,000 rpms and 12-14.
If your filing chains for speed it might be ok but its a dangerous game with the faster saws.

Big difference in kick back between 10,000 rpms and 12-14.
If your filing chains for speed it might be ok but its a dangerous game with the faster saws.
I also feel the more modern AV adds to the kickback. Can definitely notice it using say a pm700 mac and SP mac. I have no green saws to compare it to sorry. The 3400 chassis us still rather stiff in the AV compared to modern saws.

I also don't like the inaccuracy of the tip on spring AV saws. It goes where you didn't ask it to

I picked up a craftsman 358.351242 which is equivalent to a Poulan 3500 or PP365 to my knowledge. I'm in the market for a Piston/cylinder and impulse line for the saw. Will the Poulan versions be a direct swap? Can just use fuel line for the impulse? I know on some saws it has to be a different line material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1445978962...Jt7aI8avBcfXBWlqWHrnK7IQ==|tkp:Bk9SR5CbkNawYg
You can get the LRB pistons as you know. OEM pistons are tough to find, cylinders are very hard to come by. Depending on how bad the cylinder is you may be able to remove the transfer and reuse it. I use the Echo rubber fuel line for the impulse.

Bob i can't believe you suck for 10.00 and the question is, is it a deal if it's one saw or a saw and a mac.????
Lol I'd be glad to get the bar and chain for $10. They are not in my possession yet so I really don't know what I got. Hope to aquire the goods tomorrow. They have been paid for and picked up by a friend that was in the area. Story was an old fella passed and the kids were cleaning out the basement. I might get lucky and dump fresh fuel in and have it fire right up.

Bubster - another reason you see so many bow bars on Poulan saws is the fact that Claude Poulan really cut his teeth manufacturing bow bars to ease the task of harvesting pulp wood. Many of the Poulan saws were used in the pulp wood industry and as a result were quite frequently equipped with the bow. If you take a close look at a bow bar you will see the inside of the bar is narrower than the outside edge where the groove is. This allows the bow bar to cut through most logs on the ground without pinching, and by the way, without requiring the operated to bend over to do it.

History of the Bow Chain Saw, the Pulpwood Saw.
by Tom Hawkins & Sons

The beginning's of the modern day bow type chain saw can be directly traced back to the orginal intended use of such a saw, back when it was first invented. The first bow shaped chain saw, appears to be the 1916 Swedish made Sector. But it and several other bow shaped saws that followed, were just that, bow shaped, but not a bow saw.

The bow saw as we refer to it here, was intended mainly for the purpose of a repetitive bucking situation. The term "bucking" is the process of cutting a log into sections, short or long pieces. Bow saws were designed mostly for the harvesting of pulpwood, used for the making of paper, usually cut into 4ft. lengths. The paper industry was huge and required large amounts of wood to make paper pulp. Paper mills provided many a woodsman the opportunity to earn a living by cutting pulpwood. The bow type chain saws have a bar that will not bind or pinch in the cut (kerf), it's a saw that was purposely designed to be pinchless.

Mark

Friends. Ran both. The 372 is scary fast using like that with a bow.

026 is ported I sold him. 372 might be one I sold him too.

bowbar.JPG

I bought one of those pistons. Then I promptly asked for a refund to return it. The compression height was shorter and the overall length of the piston was shorter.

IMG_20211129_095943362.jpg

Hi guyus,been a while since I posted here.I got a 306A that has an oil leak,I'm assuming it's a bad gasket.I pulled the clutch off & took the 4 screws out that looked likje it held the oil tank together & also took the 2 bolts out by the crankshaft & it still doesn't come apart.What am I missing?
Did you get it solved? If not, maybe a pic to help others help out. I ask because I have a 306A that is a few saws back of the line but it's one I really want to get to so I may need what you find out.
tom

This info is from a friend that used that lrb afm 60cc piston in 2018.

Was the right heights back then though. Unlike one shown above. Thats messed up :oops:

= Pretty much he said the ring looks crappy.
Circlips wouldnt use, wrist pin looks thick and heavy (hope oem fits myself), so basically looks like all you get is the bare piston and put caber or oem or stihl rings on it, use oem circlips and wrist pin.

So unless way off like the one Mark shows above. You get a core only to use.

p380wristpins.pngp380ppafmm.pngp380pafmm.pngp380ppoemafm.pngp380oemafmp.pngp380pring.png

Back