Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poulan 2000 with issues. I think it has an airleak. It has 120 psi compression. What is the best way to air test with the oiler

Poulan 2000 with issues. I think it has an airleak. It has 120 psi compression. What is the best way to air test with the oiler

Drain the bar oil out. Make the standard muffler & carb block off plates, then pull the oiler check valve 530069142 & plug the port down into the crankcase. Been over 10 years since I did one, so can’t remember the exact port hole diameter.

You’ll need to get a small rubber plug at a hardware store to match the port hole size & use needle nose pliers to stuff it in.

I’d get a pair of crank seals & replace them at the same time you’ve got it stripped down.

Remember to soap bubble test the case seams & cylinder base for leaks, in addition to the crank seals.

Should hold 8 psig pressure & 14” Hg of vacuum all day long when tested through the spark plug hole or a barbed nipple tap on one of the block off plates.

See what you guys would offer a local. Older guy used to running a husky 455 with 20" for 10+ years now. It is wore out and going to need new topend etc.

Explained cost with labor on the plastic cased saw. IMO not worth it. Told him if want to buy new look at echo 590 59cc for 400.

He wants to check out some of my used craftsman poulans for way less cost 150-200 set up with 18-20.

I think the craftsman 3.3 chrome bore 54cc with lighter PHO weight etc might be best for him. Also the saw I would choose 10 out of 10 times.

But also going to set the heavier 3400 3.0 really 3.4 56cc up too. Then the thin ring 3.7 61cc and 64cc 4000

Which one of these saws do you think is more comparable to the 455 he used? I never compared a 455 only test cut before sending back with a few owners.

Anyone with first hand experience?

c3034x.jpgc33f.jpgc37red.jpgp4000test.jpg

While I am not a Poulan afficianado, I do have a PP405 that currently has only 75 lbs compression. It is in the same range (cc-wise) as the 8500, but is from a later era. :confused:

After I get a few more of my favorite brand running, I will strip it down and see what else it needs. That will be my first foray into reed valves so it should be a learning experience.

If I was to look for another, it would have to be an old Poulan, and hopefully one that is old enough to make me want to restore it.

:cheers:
Is that with the auto decompression?

455 brake, 335 no brake, 3700 no brake set up but with mag cover (plastic cover adds weight too). Weight PHO dry. 330 with brake.

Didnt think about that. Need to make sure he is aware only hand guards on the older ones.

Wishing I had a 330 with chain brake to offer him. He would never look back then.

h455weight.JPGp335weight.JPGp3700weight.JPG
p330weight.JPG

Well guy didnt want the D176 mount. So dont think he is going to go the route of the echo 590 either.
He had just bought a new bar and chain for small mount and has like 6 other chains. I didnt even mention I could make that bar work on the 3.3 335 saw. Since he seems to have his mind set already.

Bet he ends up buying another 455. 429 on sale he said.

His back up saw was a PR 5020 20". He brought it in with him when picking up 455. Has that 70DL vanguard crap chain. I put him on a loop of stihl RS 3/8 70dl I had on hand.
Left the VG to sharpen since he said cutters were to hard since new. Ask did you try and new file and not a worn one. Said he did.

Told him also he could take that 455 bar and chains and run them on the 5020. If needed to. That 455 isnt going to make many more cuts.

PR5020 - Ask how it runs and do you care if I check it.
Since I knew every one I have seen ran like crap taking throttle.
He said go ahead.
It bogged and I ask him if it always did this and he said yes.
Ask him if had a couple mins I could do a tune and stop that crap.
He left smiling.

My busted up crankcase root cutter was acting up today. Got the big apple tree root flipped out of hole with 4x4 low today.

Found out the 2750 46cc is chrome bore, air injection. Had to order the freaking kit as I was out of those. Common walbro I use alot of.

Dias were so stiff. About as bad as I have seen.
Also screen plugged up from past owner with no fuel filter attached. Surprised ran at all over the years.

rootaa.jpgroota.jpgrootaaa.jpgp2750ai.jpgp2750p.jpgp2750ccc.jpgp2750carb.jpg

You should be able to, just remember to wipe a little oil on the inside where the shaft goes in.keep the outside very clean and dry. See if you can find a deep socket about the same size as the hole to tap on. Doesn't take much to tap them in. Keep them going In straight as you can. Slow and easy for the win.

Anyone know where the tank vent is on a 3.3 Craftsman?
Depends on if Type 1 or type 2 tank. Seen both on 3.3's. If 2 holes at top type one and uses duckbill in tank. If type 2 on left side of tank like the 3450 3750 330 380.

Early T1 duckbill.

Green shows T2

c33tankvent.jpgptankventx.jpgptankvent.jpg

Root cutting yesterday. I think the plastic 46cc lost it's job waiting on carb kits. I went with 56cc sold as 3.0 but really 3.4 yesterday and then to 64cc 4000. 56cc had a coil or fuel delivery issue after taking break to sharpen chain. So put it all on the 4000 that someone had done base gasket delete and played with the porting.
Thats a 10' burn pit. Dragged over and had to put peavy on my shoulder to flip in to the pit.

rootttt.jpgrootx.jpgrootxx.jpg

Hello all I picked up this sears 3.3 for 20 bucks thenother day on the way home from work. I definitely don't need another sawnnot sure what its fate is yet but. Some fresh gas and a few pulls it was running. I ran good and would rev out good but after running for a bit it was boggy and died. The pistion and Cylinder are good so maybe carb issues. The mixture screw on the left. Is 3/4 turn out and the screw on the right is 1 - 1/4 out. Where should the mixture screws be set at about on this old girl

Attachments

• 20231113_201828.jpg
    20231113_201828.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231115_183640.jpg
    20231115_183640.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231115_183728.jpg
    20231115_183728.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back