No wonder Stihl owners hate flippy caps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'flippy' caps are really not a big deal - you just have to know how to operate them. The oil cap is the worst..!!

On lock-in just wiggle and pull on the cap while still in locked-in mode..if it doesn't come loose..then you're good to go.

After my one 'mishap'..I learned this and never another problem - but you must pull on the cap by the edges..!!

J2F

I spill more fuel on myself with CARB compliant fuel can spout gizmos than I do by not getting the flippy caps locked down correctly.

I spill more fuel on myself with CARB compliant fuel can spout gizmos than I do by not getting the flippy caps locked down correctly.

I hate CARB compliant cans as much as I hate flippy caps. I will buy neither.

I have several of the old style gas cans left. FWIW, old bar oil jugs make great 2 cycle mix jugs too.

I have 4 Stihl saws, and a Kombi that have the flippys....another older saw has the screw in cap. . I have had my fair share of oil baths.

When I get called "Stupid", "Idiot" and a "Moron", and a few other insulting names, I figure it is because of one of two things. The first is that someone has conferred with my wife, in which case I just say "yes dear" and smile.

However the second cause of these slurs thrown at me has to be from the "I love the Flippy Caps" side of the room. Now, these are the guys over there - can you see um? - they are all smiling, laughing,jumping up and down and pointing fingers, and yipping and yapping.

They seem to be scurrying around, some laying on their stomachs, some scratching and picking in various places on their bodies... all... seeming trying to read, or at least look at pictures. Must be using dictionaries? Not. Perhaps Rogets International Thesauas. I think not. However if one looks closely, it can be observered that there are some Archie comics, Boys Life, a book by "Dear Abby on "Good Behavior for Perfect Boys" and such. I'm quite sure that one can even see a copy of "Biggins!".

Hmm...what could this activity mean?.......hmmmmm......

I know! :blob2:I know! :blob2: They're trying to research more dastardly words to throw across the room. And because ...they are the essence of perfection in all things "Flippy Caps", they see themselves as being far superior to the people with oil dripping down their legs.

They are just that positive that they have never had, and absolutely/positively never will, experience even one small speck of of anything "anti - Flippy Cap".

And now...the unanswered question...:popcorn: What will happen if one day, (maybe tomorrow? The day after?), the "Flippy Cap" gods deem to expose to one of them, how it actually feels to be such a blasted moron! Oh the horror!:cry:

I'm sure we will certainly hear all about it.:rolleyes:

i don't mind flippy caps and almost all my fuel cans are the new no spill design and i really like them over any other can including the cumbersome eagle safety cans.

There are times when the flippy cap refuses to come off after being hinged up. You cannot turn it either left or right and you can't pull it free. This happened to me last week with the fuel flippy cap. It sealed itself so tight that removal was impossible without using a pair of pliers or vise grips, and that would probably have destroyed it. So, I waited awhile and then dumped some fuel on it. Finally, it let loose.

Then I thought about this thread and decided to report back my solution to yet another problem that I have run into with flippies.

I had a J- red oil cap leak all over my chaps once.

It was because I failed to install it. (at all).

I despise those caps. My 200T oil cap leaks, it attaches loosely. True on the pressure, but the screw in caps worked just fine, and you need a scrench for chain adjustment anyway. I believe this was a "solution" to a problem that did not exist. When I am in a hurry, I really do have a hard time getting those caps on right.

Flippy caps are an iq test of sorts. With them, dealers can easily ascertain how much bull extract a customer will tolerate in his purchasing diet, and then tailor his level of pure bs and rate for said bs accordingly. How does he do this? All he has to do is show the customer a flippy cap, and if the customer likes it, well then, the dealer knows he can sell to him at whim anything under the sun with no logic or reason whatsoever, and charge him out the rear while doing so.

So I guess the answer to my question is, yes.

Some people can enjoy a nice saw without nitpicking and bit**ing about a very minor issue. And there are even a few people out there who can accomplish the very difficult task of opening and closing a f***in flippy cap without...
a. Breaking it, or
b. Not latching it correctly, causing bar oil to spill upon their legs and feet!

Oh well, I guess a Stihl owner needs something to complain about!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back