Nobody told me about the bearings 010av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay,

So I've never laid my hands on one of these before...

A friend brought one round to me tonight. Usual story, loaned it out to another guy who ran it without oil in the fuel.

I set to whipping the cylinder off, usual story new P&C required. However, as I check the crank all the little roller bearings fall out into the case:cry: !!

I think that the cage has broken down until I read the manual and see there is a tool to stop them falling out, etc...:blush:

So how do I put them back in?:help: A blob of grease and a steady hand?

How much does a new P&C run to for one of these?:deadhorse:

Dan (Stihl learning):monkey:

Oh yay for needle bearings, yup ^^, whenever I have dealt with them nice thick grease seems to do the trick, whatta PITA they can be lol, make sure the count is right :( (not at you just reminiscing), I really like the magnetizing idea, magnetize what?How would one do that?? (and is pointed out further down the thread I think it would attract unwanted crap, this makes sense)

:rockn: :bang: :bang: :biggrinbounce2:

Oh, quick edit here, they do make the best crib pegs in da world(heat up one set to blue 'em)! Not brought to you by Martha Stewart (disclaimer) :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I felt foolish.

All part of the experience I suppose. I love the manual, tells you not to let them loose, doesn't tell you what to do when you have!

Thanks for the link Russ.

I'll tell him the ball park figure, but I'm prety sure he won't want to go for it.

When it comes to spending money this guy could be considered registered disabled.

Me either - a great way to attract metal crud to places it shouldn't be.

Grease works, but there is little tool you can get from stihl to hold it all together.

010??? Unless it's pristine... part it out or sell it on ebay..

Magnetize?

The way I know how to do it is to rub a piece of steel on a magnet. Not only do I not like the idea of a magnetized bearing to retain any possible metal fragments flying around but rubbing my bearings on a hard magnet does not sound good either..... Go with grease, or Lake's special tool or pray....:bowdown:

011av

This was the first Stihl that I ever had torn down and after reading the suggestions here about the grease, I found it easy to reassemble and even though I took weeks to get everything together, those bearings never fell out of place. It sat on my bench with the grease holding the bearings in for about three weeks and withstood me putting on the piston without falling off.

I would have become very frustrated working on this saw without the help of this forum and Lakeside53!

I agree with Andy about doing a top end replacement. I rebuilt this saw and spend twice what it is worth, but it had some sentimental value, so that is why they spent so much on it.

Latest posts

Back