Northern Catulpa GRS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carveit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good morning colleagues I have just recently accepted a three member group of Northern Catulpa. This group is well protected at the bottom of a hill with construction just off to the side of the root zone of the smallest member. The other two members are massive and I have unearthed some enormous Girdling Roots. My request here is for as many Arborists to comment on the potential success rate we have with reversing the effects at Grade. As we were exposing the original grade and cleaning off the flare, I noticed that the tissue was extremely sensitive and a few tears occured, has anyone ever dealt with these type of Trees in this state?and what were the results after?Should we leave the girdling roots in tact and wait to observe if there is an adaptation?is there something else we can do to further our success rate? Thanks.

As we were exposing the original grade and cleaning off the flare, I noticed that the tissue was extremely sensitive and a few tears occured, ...is there something else we can do to further our success rate? Thanks.
Yeah wait until fall; bark "slips" off this time of year. also use water to clear where possible; less damaging. First, do no harm.

hard to say more without pics.

if anything in the attached is unclear please say what.

View attachment 187576

Yeah wait until fall; bark "slips" off this time of year. also use water to clear where possible; less damaging. First, do no harm.

hard to say more without pics.

if anything in the attached is unclear please say what.

View attachment 187576
Thanks for the post, I am particularly looking for direct experience with Mature Northern Catulpa. The information you have kindly attached is a helpful tool for anyone and much appreciated. Please discuss further your experience with Girdling Roots with this species, if any. The sensitivity is alarming and as we were spraying the dirt away to expose the flare I noticed instant absorption and thought to leave the flare exposed for the time being and seek advice and discussion. These Trees are very old and have significant Heritage growing. Thanks and will watch for discussion.

catalpa does have thin bark. i have only done sgr worek on a few.

pics would help a lot

Latest posts

Back