Northern Tool Demo Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch25

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well...the local Northern Tool was having a demo day and sale. I was hoping to go there and pick up a splitter for cheap but that didn't happen.

I did however get to run the Northstar 30 Ton that I have had my eye on for a long time. Let me say that I'm going to get one this fall!!!!

They had a bunch of elm that they got from the local dump, rounds probably 30" across. I did find one knot that stalled it for about 1/2 second but other than that, it blew threw everything I could throw at it! I should have brought back some of my oak knots from the lake to try...walked right past them and didn't even think.

Anyway....very impressive unit!!!! Don't have one yet, but I will this fall FOR SURE!!!! I like to swing the Fiskars but seasoned 24" long oak rounds with knots are just too much work! I need to get some stuff done!

My .02

Hey Clutch

You are right about the the Norstar 30 ton log splitter- it is a great unit and works very well. I had one small problem- the swivel point where the splitter goes vertical broke- NT took care of the the problem very quickly- they must have known about the problem and sent me a new one that was much larger than the original one- no other problems. One thing - if you haul the splitter on the road or thru muddy areas-you might want to get the fender kit to keep the mud from getting all over the engine- also upgraded to the Honda motor and bought the four way wedges for the 12-16 inch stuff- good splitter for the money and the demo days saves you 10% too.

Ten percent would be nice...but I have to wait until fall...got some things going on that demand MAJOR money right now!

Hey Clutch

You are right about the the Norstar 30 ton log splitter- it is a great unit and works very well. I had one small problem- the swivel point where the splitter goes vertical broke- NT took care of the the problem very quickly- they must have known about the problem and sent me a new one that was much larger than the original one- no other problems. One thing - if you haul the splitter on the road or thru muddy areas-you might want to get the fender kit to keep the mud from getting all over the engine- also upgraded to the Honda motor and bought the four way wedges for the 12-16 inch stuff- good splitter for the money and the demo days saves you 10% too.

Tell me a bit more about how the pivot point broke on your splitter. I have its baby brother (22 ton), and I always thought that looked like a weak area. I upgraded the bolts on the pivot a few weeks ago because the nylon locking nuts wouldnt stay tight. I had to add large washers on the bottom side of the frame to keep the metel from buckling as I tightened the bolts. My splitter will be 2yrs old this Oct, how long did you have your unit before the pivot gave you trouble?

I also have the Norther Tools 30 Ton splitter. I was mad at it toady when the bolt that holds the wedge to the hydrolic Cylinder broke. I am sure Norther Tools will ship it fast because i had a bad pump and they sent a replacement very quick. Overall i love the thing.

Hey Reaperman
The hinge bolt broke - they had a 3/16 bolt and the new one had a 1/2 bolt-no problems so far. NT replaced it with no problems and shipped it quickly too.

NT also has demo day in the Fall and they have 10% off

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back