Northstar 37 ....pesty little drip/leak on hoses,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello Group,

I have a pretty new Northstar 37 ton splitter, which I bought from Northern December 2012, which has seen relatively light usage.

It has (and pretty much always had) a pesty little drip, drip, drip from BOTH hoses, right where they connect to the tank with the hose clamps.

Over a two month period, between operation and just sitting/covered, it has leaked 1 full 'large Folgers can' of hydraulic oil.

HOW can I stop this???

1 -Could I have over tightened the hose clamps? (The hoses don't look split).
2 -Do they make "double-wide" hose clamps?
3 - Can I use some kind of Pipe Sealant or even Silicone Caulk, then put the hose back on, and clamp?
* IF SO, what's the name of the product?

This machine has always had this pesty little drip, since day 1.

I was thinking of cutting another piece of hose, say 2 - 3" long, to place over the existing hose, then clamp it, and use 'pipe sealant or silicone' to s-t-o-p it!

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

CTwoodnutt

There is a yellow pipe sealant tape for hydraulics. However, due to the high pressure, if on pressure side, you may need a hydraulic crimped hose with hydraulic fittings (sae, I think). Even if it's on the suction side of pump, a properly crimped hose with appropriate fittings is the 'leak free' way to go. IMO. Good luck! My log splitters have never leaked from hoses.

Back