Not a Speeco Fan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Some folks here are happy with their TSC Speeco splitters... I am NOT.
Purchased the 22ton horizontal/lvertical at a TSC here in Ontario.
Within the first year the pump failed (thankfully @ 11mnths so warranty covered it).
The second year valve failure. Repaired OUT of warr.
This summer, cylinder failure. The nut backed of the shaft and chewed up the treads, hence metal bits inside scored the walls.

And the pump crapped out again. :msp_angry:

And its only 2.5 yrs old.
I had enough of this POS, repaired it and sold it.
And its sad there is no Canadian direct repair ctr or rep.
So be warned those of you who are thinking of purchasing a Speeco in Canada.
I highly recommend a Wallenstein , Surge-Master (both have a full 3yr warr) or a Split-Fire.
Avoid the "off shore" made brands labeled "Assembled in USA".

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. Every brand has its lemons, some more than others. Better luck with yor next splitter.

Zare, I have the 28 ton and haven't had an issue yet. How many cords you figure you split with it and what type of wood. I maybe have 20 or 30 full cords thru mine and I loaned it out a few times so not sure how many are on it. I guess I better take a look at mine and do some preventative maintenance on it. I'm splitting maple, ash and cherry with it. I've priced the others and considered building my own but it's pretty hard to beat Speeco for the price of a complete unit. PS, it's pretty hard to find anything that doesn't come from offshore.

Its price point. As with most things that cost us dear, we want it cheaper.
I've probably put 30 bush cord through this machine. ( i too loaned it out but saw the wood he split)
And I fed it all types of wood. When it worked it worked great. What it didn't split it crushed.
I did have to tighten the motor mounts as they were loose after the first 5 hrs of use. (learned my lesson with old motorcycles..Loctite is your friend).
Now I see TSC is selling Champion brand splitters. ( here in Canada, not sure what they have south). I'll pass on this one as well.

I have my eyes on a custom made 32ton machine. Using all Canadian made parts.

Boy I hope I don't have all those problems with my 22 ton speeco. I bought it cause everybody on here said they were great. 5 cords no problems. Hope it continues. Sorry for your misfortune.

That is a bummer. If you look on the bright side you will only have one more thing to fix and thats the engine! ;)

Man that is a bummer. Least you were able to fix it and get rid of it.

I have the same one. Just about a year old but it's got a solid 10+ cords through it and no problems at all.

Did you pull it much behind your vehicle? Not that towing it should account for THAT many problems but I've had a couple of friends that pulled theirs all the time on the small tires and their splitters paid for it eventually. All that throwing around was hard on them. Things had to be snugged up frequently. Mine doesn't leave the house so that may be why I've never had that issue.

Zare, I went to TSC today to pick up some stuff and was going to get one of the Champion 30 ton to see if it was any good and likely sell it later. I changed my mind because I had looked at them at Princess Auto before and wasn't really impressed and I do already have 4 splitters. The price is cheap though and I'm sure I could make money reselling them, even crap ones at auction go for close to $1000.

Sorry to hear you got a lemmon. I've had problems with mine too.
We got a new TSC and I bought a "Huskee" 22 ton splitter last september. It wasn't right from day one. Unfortunately Speeco didn't have a repair center set up to take care of warranty work locally. By the time they got the repair center set up to get paid for warranty work, I had repaired my old splitter and had got all the splitting finished for the year. So I put the "Huskee" up and hoping for better out of it next season.
Sometimes it seems like Speeco may be using us for their R&D.
I depend on my equipment as a part of my living, so I don't have time to do R&D for someone else, and I sure don't have time to do their quality control for them. If I have any problems out of it this year it's gone.

Andy

Sorry to hear you got a lemmon. I've had problems with mine too.
We got a new TSC and I bought a "Huskee" 22 ton splitter last september. It wasn't right from day one. Unfortunately Speeco didn't have a repair center set up to take care of warranty work locally. By the time they got the repair center set up to get paid for warranty work, I had repaired my old splitter and had got all the splitting finished for the year. So I put the "Huskee" up and hoping for better out of it next season.
Sometimes it seems like Speeco may be using us for their R&D. I depend on my equipment as a part of my living, so I don't have time to do R&D for someone else, and I sure don't have time to do their quality control for them. If I have any problems out of it this year it's gone.

Andy

Exactly.

if ya wana good splitter ya gona have to build your own. ! and don't use any speeco parts. :laugh:

sounds like a lemon,, and it happens

I have been satisfied with my 22ton speeco, paid $899 new, split 40 cords so far no problems

As a side note (saw Champion mentioned); was at my local Lowes, manager said he doesn't believe they will be getting any more Troy Bilt Splitters in. Currently they only have Champion sitting out.

OP, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, I on the other hand have had very good luck with my 35 ton model. Starts on the third pull every time when cold, and I have no complaints after a year now of steady use. I have no idea how many cords I have run through it, but I am sure its in excess of 50.

The only complaint I have about the whole deal is the four way head. Obviously whoever designed this thing had never split a chunk of wood in his life, and never tried it after building the first one. The horizontal wedges are so short they do nothing more than make a crack down the length of the round, making it useless.

Well, I have one other complaint. Mine came with a Briggs engine, and some moron thought the muffler ought to be pointed at the ground, and also encased the thing in a wire cage. More than once I have had to clear burning splitter trash out of that muffler guard, and many times have had to put out a fire on the ground that the hot gases from the muffler started.

I think Champion log splitters are more for the light residential use. I wonder why Lowes will not be carrying the Troy Bilt anymore?

Back