Not Another Which Saw Should I Buy Thread!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Ernie

Reaction score
Morning ladies and gents,
I am in the process of purchasing a chainsaw and pretty much torn at this point on which one will suit me best. As far as the use of the saw, it will be strictly used for personal use. Im a DIY'er or weekend warrior at best. My wife and I bought a lot with an acre of wooded area. The lot has been neglected for decades and Long story short, were taking care if business. Also, I will be cutting wood for the winter months and clearing brush for my deer stands. This will be my first saw I own and probably not my last. However, I'd like for something that will not only suit my needs but also be able upgrade the bar and perhaps tweak/mod for other jobs I will encounter for personal use around the $300.00 mark. I did some research and wound up with these three to best suit my needs

-Stihl MS211 $279.95 @ the local Stihl dealer
-Husqvarna 435-16 $259.99 @ Fleet Farm
-Echo CS-352-16 $259.99 @ local Farm and Fleet

Ive had nothing but good experiences with Stihl. Never had an issue with warranty on several products I own and seems like they back their product with confidence. The saw I fear maybe undersized at 35cc but seems like a nice little saw for my needs

The Husky seems to be a great chainsaw as well. From what I've read and heard from owners, theyre as good as it gets for personal use...as long as you get it tuned from the dealer prior to putting it to use from what I hear. At 41cc I feel with the saw I'm looking at will have plenty of motor to cut with confidence.
The Echo was a pleasant suprise when I was tool shopping at Farm and fleet. I was able to hold. Its light and compact (presumably so as the engine is 34cc). Backed by a 5 year warranty, it was hard for me and my wife to walk away from it and do more research. My one concern with the echo: I feel something will break when I drop it.
All three brands have authorized dealerships within 20 minutes from me as well. If the budget was not an issue Id probably go back to the Stihl dealer and pick up the MS351 WoodBoss, but its over my budget and I need other cutting tools...they dont give those pole pruners away if you know what I mean :) Then again, I checked out Menards...should leave it as that but most their display models had sap and wood chips on the bars which really didnt seem uplifting IMO. if you guys would give me your input and help a fella out...Thanks in advance!

Will you be felling trees? Bucking firewood? What diameter trees? All the saws you list are little limbing saws - slow and frustrating to buck firewood. And being your first saw, I'd either apply the $300 to a better pro model or go the learner saw route: vminnovations has reburbed homeowner clamshells for ~$80 shipped. They did have the PP5020AV for $106 shipped for a while.
If you really like Stihl and want a tiny limbing saw - the MS170 goes on sale for $159 soon.

I would always saw that for a 1 saw plan at least 50cc's ... I am very fond of the Husky 350s and they are even better ported!!! Great all around saws!

If you get the bar and chain stuck by accident the Stihl one the powerhead can be detached then often the bar can be pulled out and chances are even the chain won't be damaged once the situation is corrected either by moving the log/tree or more cutting.

If you get the bar and chain stuck by accident the Stihl one the powerhead can be detached then often the bar can be pulled out and chances are even the chain won't be damaged once the situation is corrected either by moving the log/tree or more cutting.
Any inboard clutch can do that... And milling bar ends is a good idea for that reason!

The Echo has the best warranty. And the Stihl has guts. The MS 221 is a ballzey little saw and the MS221 thru 021 have been a very reliable series. The Echo is also a very strong runner. Also very reliable in its series. I recently purchased a MS250 back in October. And couldn't be happier with it. It is the little saw that does. But I'm looking for a top handle next and leaning toward a Echo. If you want a new saw in this class the Echo warranty wise is hard to beat.

The Echo has the best warranty. And the Stihl has guts. The MS 221 is a ballzey little saw and the MS221 thru 021 have been a very reliable series. The Echo is also a very strong runner. Also very reliable in its series. I recently purchased a MS250 back in October. And couldn't be happier with it. It is the little saw that does. But I'm looking for a top handle next and leaning toward a Echo. If you want a new saw in this class the Echo warranty wise is hard to beat.

I have a 338XPT I just went through if you want a good little top handle saw...

Thanks for the tempting offer. At this moment I've got a mower to fix and a trimmer to replace. Before my wife will even consider letting me get another saw. Divorce court cost more than saws.

@Northwoods Ernie ,

personally I would NOT get a saw smaller than 40cc! The power is too weak for a small all around saw you intend to have. I would consider upping your choices around the 40cc/3hp numbers.

MY personal favorite would be a Dolmar 421! Great saw with great power, built like a pro saw with pro users here who have run HUNDREDS of refills through theirs with out a problem.

Further the above mentioned Echo 490 or Poulan Pro 5020 would be very good choices.

Latest posts

Back