Not sure what to do, pistons and cylinders...part numbers..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A customer brought me 2 Echo EA500 Augers, both had scored pistons and cylinders.

The EA500 has a Serial break @ 03001001-03002172 AND 03002173 - 03999999

The 1st one I rebuilt fell within the lower serial range, the piston and cylinder assembly was superceded to a kit that includes all parts. The IPL shows a piston with 2 rings, and that is what I took out of the engine. but the superceded part has 2 grooves, only one groove is pinned, and 1 ring...I rebuilt it, and it worked perfectly.

This other Auger falls within the upper serial range, the IPL shows a piston with 2 grooves, and 1 ring...and what was in it, was 2 grooves, and 1 ring. However the part numbers do not supercede to a kit, you must still order the parts serperately and they are of course more expensive that way.

Ive compared the 2 pistons and cylinders...all other part numbers pertaining to the short block, match up identically. The Pistons appear identical in shape, size, weight..wrist pins are the same. The cylinders appear identical, inside and out, ports, everything except on the flange below the intake port, one is labled with a symbol and "1" and the other is labeled with "2". Under the exhaust port, both are marked "51". I can swap one piston to the other cylinder and they fit fine.

So, Im trying to save the guy some money...the kit, if I order it, will have the same 2 groove, 1 ring piston that I took out of this power head. Can anyone think of any reason why there would be a kit for one serial break, and not the other, when the superceded part appears to be the same as what is in the other serial range?

Oh, here are the numbers...

For the later serial range

Piston kit P021009682
Cylinder Echo A130000711 (replaces A130000710)

And for the Earlier range

PO21009693 (piston/cylinder kit)

Latest posts

Back