not the knot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I keep reading on here and looking in magazines about guys climbing with lock jacks, ascenders, using slings for wood and brush, gibbs ascenders for climbing lines, etc. Is this the way the tree industry is going? Away from knots which have been used for so many years and to splices, mechanical devices, and slings? I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue. I find that knots are a good part of our trade and should be preserved.

Not Knots!

We used to joke in the aerial delivery world, "If you can't tie knots, tie lots.":D

My brain is one of those that has always had problems with knots-I think learning to tie my shoes was probably an ordeal.

you could get away with knowing only 4 knots to do most jobs. knowing more is help full and gives you more options. this big trend with all the ascenders is more for climbers who do not use spikes. it gives them a more energy saving way to get up. i spike just about every thing i climb, so all those gizmos are not for me. i do use an ascender to adjust my flip line. i'm not against all the toys, it all depends on your style of climbing.

Knots are why I stay out of trees, I am challenged like Jumper. When we would repell I always had my buddies double check me to make sure I hadn't tied a death knot. Anyone got any suggestions for a good book of basic knots(with good pictures)?

knots

If it did not work, do this www.earlham.edu then click the search this site which will take you to google and enter knots. Peter subners knots will come up. point and click and you are there.

I guess that I am a bit of a control freak --I trust a knot that I've tied more than any of the mechanical devices. I do see the usfulness of the devices for ascending.

There are several great web sites that have animated pictures of knots, and great printable pictures that can help you along. Do a search for "knot knowledge", that is one of the good sites I can recall, and I have also seen some great boy scout web pages with knots. "On Rope" book is a huge resouce for knots, also get the tree climbers companion. Check out:
-Blakes hitch ---great ascending knot
-French Prussic ---great ascending knot
-Timber hitch ---EASY to tie very secure anchor
-Timber with half hitch ---good for lowering sections of large wood
-Bowline -----MUST KNOW this knot, you will use it all the time
-Running Bowline ---- MUST KNOW
-Munter --- good for descending with just a biner
Spike it, living where you do I'm suprised that you don't get thrown in jail for triming with spikes. Try ropes, you'll eventually get good enough where the rope will be much faster. It is also a great way for you to stand out from your competition.
Greg

Latest posts

Back