Novice Tree Trunk Cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insert_Username

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I wonder if someone could tell me (a novice) the best way to cut a tree trunk which is a few inches (not sure exactly how many) larger than my 16 inch chainsaw bar into blocks. The top of the trunk is just above my head level so I have no concerns about height. Thanks.

Start the cut and 'walk' your saw around the trunk while cutting. You need to plan on the last portion to be cut being on the side which you want the chunk to come off toward. The block of wood will probably drop down and pinch the bar before you finish the cut completely. You can either break it over or failing that insert a wedge and finish the cut. Be careful.

Cut the notch 90 degrees, ensure that the apex is clean. No cut can go behind it. If this is a standing log then it is best to make the notch about 1/2 way through.

Plunge the saw about one inch behind the knotch apex be carefuu to not cut into the hinge. Plunge should be in line with the apex too, Or on the same plane. once bore is comples move the saw forward so that you will have about 1/4 inch of hinge.

bring the saw back so that you leave a small "tab" or "strap" in the back.

repeat on the other side.

Put a rope on the top of this standing log.

make a cut just below the strap to sever it as smoe one pulls the log over.

Just Of course For safety reasons which Im sure you will Put the rope on the trunk Before you make any Cuts.:blob2:

Back