Nozzle for bar oil jugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a shipper I have never paid a duty to anyone and I have shipped high end items all over the globe
I've sent stuff from Canada to the US and have paid the duty up front via DHL.
I've also shipped saws from the US to Canada and didn't pay duty as they were going for service IE porting and returning.

Seems like a lot of trouble, delays, and inconveniencing some random stranger, to save maybe $50 when all is done.
It's not inconvenient to the broker, that's their job. I didn't have any problem paying the extra fee. He took care of getting my stuff across the border and whatever paperwork. Not like I get stuff internationally often, so it was a few extra bucks well spent.

I just pour it carefully....never thought I needed a spout. My uncle always transferred his bar oil in to an old dish soap bottle with one of those pop up nozzles on them. Which worked great in summer, but he would squeeze that thing for all his life when it was cold out. Even then, I remember him having to pour from the chain oil bottle, into that bottle...and he would spill it then. So did we really solve anything with this workflow? lol

For climbing/rigging line, flake it in to a rope bag, always comes out of the rope bag without an issue. Otherwise, if you coil it properly it shouldn't tangle...however, that's not 100%. I've definitely had properly coiled ropes still get a tangle in them. Never something significant.

Rope bags have the added benefit of keeping your ropes from getting caught on random stuff, getting caught on your saw bar/chain, keeps dirt/oil/grime out of them. I thought bags were a waste of money, but they make my ropes last longer...which pays for the bag. Easier to flake into a bag than coil up 200' of 3/4" rope as well.

It's not inconvenient to the broker, that's their job. I didn't have any problem paying the extra fee. He took care of getting my stuff across the border and whatever paperwork. Not like I get stuff internationally often, so it was a few extra bucks well spent.

Oh yeah, paying someone to do their job is a whole different matter. Bill was talking about having someone drive fuel cans from Canada across the border to the USA.

Then again we've all talked about it for 7 pages now. Who has time for hassle is open to debate!

Oh yeah, paying someone to do their job is a whole different matter. Bill was talking about having someone drive fuel cans from Canada across the border to the USA.

Then again we've all talked about it for 7 pages now. Who has time for hassle is open to debate!
Been a slow day for me at work. Waiting 8n some parts to show up.

I guess you missed this.

Who is charging the duty?
As for the legwork it goes without saying I will pay a man for his time.

I guess you missed this.

You started with $130 or something saved, total, though. Out of that savings, how much were you going to pay this person? Maybe if they were already in Canada, and you were meeting them in a place they were already going here in the states, they might do it for $20 or something, but if you're paying them any reasonable amount at all, you're basically breaking even.

Seems like a lot of hassle and delay to save basically nothing.

You started with $130 or something saved, total, though. Out of that savings, how much were you going to pay this person? Maybe if they were already in Canada, and you were meeting them in a place they were already going here in the states, they might do it for $20 or something, but if you're paying them any reasonable amount at all, you're basically breaking even.

Seems like a lot of hassle and delay to save basically nothing.
I prefer to pay working folks and not Amazon.

I prefer to pay working folks and not Amazon.

Definitely do as you wish.

I've switched 90% of my purchases to Amazon, even for 1/4-20 nuts and bolts. The local Ace Hardware has the same made in China cheap hardware that Amazon has, but Amazon has better availability, better pricing, and they deliver to my door. The buy local thing doesn't even apply anymore, because the Amazon distribution center is 15 minutes from my house, employs thousands of local folks in the warehouse and as delivery drivers. All the local Amazon infrastructure is local working folks, same as Ace. The parts are made in China, same as Ace. If I can wait a day or two and not have to go get it, while paying less for it, I'm doing that.

I just pour it carefully....never thought I needed a spout. My uncle always transferred his bar oil in to an old dish soap bottle with one of those pop up nozzles on them. Which worked great in summer, but he would squeeze that thing for all his life when it was cold out. Even then, I remember him having to pour from the chain oil bottle, into that bottle...and he would spill it then. So did we really solve anything with this workflow? lol

For climbing/rigging line, flake it in to a rope bag, always comes out of the rope bag without an issue. Otherwise, if you coil it properly it shouldn't tangle...however, that's not 100%. I've definitely had properly coiled ropes still get a tangle in them. Never something significant.

Rope bags have the added benefit of keeping your ropes from getting caught on random stuff, getting caught on your saw bar/chain, keeps dirt/oil/grime out of them. I thought bags were a waste of money, but they make my ropes last longer...which pays for the bag. Easier to flake into a bag than coil up 200' of 3/4" rope as well.
Usually the spillage occurs when the gallon jug is first open. Not enough air can assist the flow as the jug empties, so it gurgles out unpredictably. Simple solution is to take an ice pick and punch a small hole into the handle or the very top surface. The bar oil will then flow out in a nice steady stream. Just be sure to store the jug upright.

Usually the spillage occurs when the gallon jug is first open. Not enough air can assist the flow as the jug empties, so it gurgles out unpredictably. Simple solution is to take an ice pick and punch a small hole into the handle or the very top surface. The bar oil will then flow out in a nice steady stream. Just be sure to store the jug upright.

Why can't you just squeeze the jug?

With both hands while you are trying to pour from a full jug of oil? I imagine that would produce quite a mess. You are joking, right? Just MHO.

If not a joke, please post a pic of your squeeze method in action while pouring from a full jug. TIA.

Oil doesn't even come out if the jug until the jug is given a squeeze. Remember, the foil cap has a hole in it the size a chain tool would make.

No need to spill even a drop.

I don't know why this has to be so complicated. Just pour the damn bar oil into the saw...my 10 year old son did it just fine with only me telling him to not over fill.

I don't have any issue spilling bar oil...the only issue I've ever had with bar oil is when I get distracted by something and over fill the bar oil reservoir. I can't remember a time I've ever had an issue pouring bar oil out of a wide open jug spout...

Maybe I'm just evolved further than the average sawyer... :D jk

To me for a guy to say he has never overfilled a saw on oil compares to a guy that says he has never rocked out a chain, pinched a saw, ran out of fuel, had a stem not go where planned, and many other expressions. I will admit to all.

Latest posts

Back