Nursery w/ Tree Service????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlecht

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post to the forum even though I have followed it for a couple years without signing up. Then got tired of not being able to see pics and trully enjoy all aspects of the conversations. That being said, I will ask my question I am an elementary teacher who has been working for a tree service company during the summer months started low and slow with lots of branch dragging now spend lots of time in a bucket and building the amount of time I spend in a tree saddle (SRT). But to get to my question finally have an opportunity to possibly become a buisness owner of a "greenhouse/Nursery." Then a future with the tree service company I work for. The owner/has been my mentor. Can these two buisnesses be brought together succesfully and in harmony. Am I the only crazy guy to try and melt these 2 ideas together ( in the future with the tree service) starting first with full time tree service work and the greenhouse. Then when tree guy mentor is ready melting the 2 together. Ready to make an opportunity outdoors and get out of the classroom to work in trees and service the community. Thanks in advance for any ideas or thoughts.

Work Hard Work Safe Have Fun

I don't see anything wrong with it other than the fact they really aren't related businesses. There is nothing interchangeable between either business except perhaps some employees and even there the skill set would limit that to laborers/ground workers. If it were me I would start two separate businesses.

There's a couple of them around here.

I think the main point to focus on is keeping the two separate. Let the nursery take care of the nursery, and the tree service do the tree work.

You might want to hire someone beside yourself to take care of at least one of those. You'll be spreading yourself pretty thin trying to develop it all yourself.

Your state retirement? Are you willing to give that up to work till you are 70?
I sure wish I had started off for the state and not myself, I mean I love the freedom, but NC takes good care of its employees, and we don't know we are old till it starts hurting really bad, I know i will only be invincable for 15 more years or so right? So I will need something cushy then.

I know of a tree Company that is also a Nursery(retail) and it does pretty well with both, but its no one man show. Dude bids jobs in his hummer. He has a several employees, just running the businesses take all his time, he doesn't climb anymore or work at his Nursery.
Iv'e thought about tree service/selling big trees. In stead of cutting down removals, dig'm up, box them, sale them for big bucks. Out here in So. Calif. I'v seen a 15ft olive tree boxed up sell for 25,000.00.

Thanks for all of the responses thoughts and ideas all of it is appreciated. Lots of thoughts to consider. To answer a few questions

Retail nursery small in size with a partner
I have thought a little about getting spread to thin maybe manage nursery with partner and work trees appreciate tree work with my mentor and learning trade tricks till ready for tree service buy out (future 5-?years)
State education pay here is living day to day not great benefits or pay
My thoughts on the 2 seperate businesses is the "cradle to grave" idea and management of chips if the clients' tree can't be saved then wreck it and sell a replacement.

Thanks again for thoughts and advice great place for reference

if the clients' tree can't be saved then wreck it and sell a replacement

Actually I like that idea. Many times they probably won't want to replace it. But it certainly does no harm to offer it instead of letting the customer not even consider it or if they do go to a competitor.

Big tree nursery

I think it would work for big trees, if you want to tie it in.

In my neck of the woods we sometimes remove Phoenix Canariensis - Canary Island date palms - that can sell for thousands. Sometimes I think it's a bit of a shame running a saw through such things, but since it's my job ...

the 2 may blend but more often to manage both well you'll need to be working 7 days dawn dusk. Typically you'll go tree work 1st make some good bucks then when your body starts to fail pick up nursery retail wholesale.
Know a contractor who does big LG muni tree work and landscape plantings and is looking to try growing order plant stock but he's big operator and been at years knows well the cost n pit falls.

if got the opportunity n capital a silent but cash input partner in the nursery be handy sure return less but you can watch learn move there in time

Retail nursery small in size with a partner
I have thought a little about getting spread to thin maybe manage nursery with partner

The "partner" part of your business model is iffy; you better get this right or else!
Buying out an "ex" partner could get very expensive, and working with a partner who is less comitted or serious than you are will surely drive you mental. Which is also hard on a marriage. Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back