Nursery's selling habits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being GOD!!

Worlds oldest proffession : Being God
It all started in a garden (EDEN) and ends in a garden(Paradise)and trees ......

.....and the leaves of THE TREE were for the healing of the Nations. Rev 22:2B

Thank you Nick for stating part of the verse, then I didn't have to go look it up!

That sounds like a good strong starting point to me.

Hey, I've got to go. 'Need to go do two soil samples and tree evaluations.

"Here's looking at you, kid..."

Gopher

Settle down Rob. I meant the oldest profession for humans- taking care of trees. Adam was an arborist before the fall. As punishment for sin God made him become a farmer. (TFIC);)

Re: Nurseries are not to blame

Originally posted by Frans

The real culprit is the LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT. These are the ones naming the inappropriate species in the intitial specifications

Couldn't agree more. I did a small removal job in an estate built maybe 10 years ago. Both trees were planted by the developers. Tree 1 was a grey alder in a front garden measuring 12' x 12', second was a Norway maple in a garden measuring 12' x 15'. I suspect this is wilful rather than ignorance - plonk a little tree into the front garden, helps to flog the house. My sister bought a newly built house with a rear garden similar in size to the ones above - every garden in the street had a young poplar (not sure which spp.), again planted by the developers

I think the nurseries have many issues to work on as well, for example: topping young trees to increase foliar growth, "skinning" the stems to make the trees narrower to increase storage room, importing species recognized in many communities as invasive species

I think some nurserymen are unaware of some fundamental aspects of tree biology and response to various events. One nursery I work with produce fine native woodland stock up to 60-80 cm, but anything much bigger is pruned to excess. Standards are over 3/4 of their height just bare trunk, with every branch nipped off. We planted a few standard (barerooted) Crataegus spp. for them, which did not come into leaf until well after June (ie. v late). After establishing that they were still alive, the nurseryman suggested that I go up and prune every branch back a few inches "..to liven it up a bit". I respect the guy's experience to a point, but I fear its all based on observation.

A lot of what the nurseries do is driven by what the public buys.

A tree with good structure looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

If you have a mix of busshy trees and spndly things with 5-6 branches on, and all the bushy things sell first, you get make more of the bushy plants.

One of my problems with ISA is that it preaches to the choir. I'm glad that it is finaly at least supporting shows like Malinda Meyers "Great Lakes Gardens" on PBS.

I would like to see general consumption spots for cable channels on planting depth, structure, spking and topping.....

The only way to change the vendors is to change the puying publics habits.

PBS

Maybe we can drop the PBS show a line or two about why you should not plant pines and silver maples directly under the powerlines, not that I would want the line clearing guys to lose work but because I like to have electric come to my house uninterupted and not stop at the trees down the street.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
I'm glad that it is finaly at least supporting shows like Malinda Meyers "Great Lakes Gardens" on PBS.

In case anyone did a search for that...It's MELINDA Meyers. She has a book out that I found at Border's.

Nickrosis

Latest posts

Back