NYS DEC OWB ordinance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the update on the Cortland meeting.
We thought it was tonite, and we missed it last night.

I plan on getting out, a few letters, emails, and a few phone calls in the next few days about this matter.

Our OWB has only been used 2 winters, and it is our main heat and hot water supply. We will both be retired by 2020 and have no desire to replace our OWB. We spent almost $ 10,000 on our system. We won't have any heat after 2020 if this stupid proposal goes through.

Yup, first the OWB units...then they go after, the inside wood furnaces, then wood stoves, then pellet stoves...........think about it.......it's not good.

And vote out all of the current government officials in November this year.....enough is enough of all their nonsense !

DEC Hearings

At the first hearing in Watertown DEC claimed that there had been about 70 complaints statewide. Here's a quote in the newspaper from the DEC hearing in Dunkirk:

Sliwinski said they have had one hundred to two hundred complaints, in that range and stated there are a few dozen in Western New York Region 9 itself. This number started at "possibly 70" statewide complaints and is now up to between 100 and 200. Why won't DEC show anyone their official reports on this?

Now here's a quote from John Barnes:

"We have received what will be several thousand comments by the time this process is over," Barnes said. "From that, I do not ... we will not issue that rule as written. We can make some minor changes but I don't think that is a possible outcome either. It looks like we're going to be making major changes to this rule based upon the comments that we've received from other hearings and from this hearing and the two additional hearings that we will have."

By October, Barnes said, the evaluation of comments should be concluded and then they would re-propose a revised Part 247.

Given the "stories" that DEC has been telling how can anyone trust them on anything? We need to stay on top of this and keep fighting for our rights.

Last edited:
DEC and owb

Can anyone tell me why my mentioning the syracuse post standard article regarding the DEC hearings on OWB the other day was deleted?

Was it a copyright issue? I fully credited them with the article and the authors name.

leon :popcorn::chainsaw::dizzy:

DEC Hearings

Leon, did you get an answer? I didn't find anything on the Post Standard site.

Tonight is the last hearing. Hope there's a big turnout in Saranac Lake. We attended the first hearing in Watertown and wanted to go to Saranac Lake but can't attend because of a prior commitment. Will look forward to hearing a report here later.

NYSDEC and OWCB

No I did not recieve an answer as
to why my posting was deleted.

I only mentioned the article in passing and
how well it was written in my opinion where
I credited the newspaper and the authoress
as one would credit sources in the text of
white papers to avoid plagarism issues etc.

I have a stake in this too because I burn
wood and coal both in a boiler,

leon

Saranac Lake hearing

Here's a link to an article on last night's hearing.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/513978.html?nav=5008#

From what we are hearing there weren't over 1 to 2 speakers in favor of the proposed regulations at any of the hearings. Hopefully DEC will have to listen to the majority. If anyone has an interest in this issue make sure and contact your representatives and sign the online petition. Take time to send another letter to DEC if you have had more thoughts since this issue arose. It's been a roller coaster of emotions since finding the first article on the internet on April 22nd. Still doesn't feel like we are waking up in America in the morning any more.

DEC Report

The Watertown Daily Times is running an article today in the Jefferson County news. Must be DEC answered their FOIL request. It reports that DEC received about 24 complaints in a 10 year period with some of those complaints being unfounded. And for this how many thousands of homeowners with outdoor furnaces will be punished? It's time we stood up to DEC's unlimited powers.

NYS Senate legislation

The NYS Senate passed legislation that would allow for the continued use of OWBs despite the DEC regulations.

Now the Assembly has to vote on the legislation. Please contact your Assembly representative and ask for their support.

The NYS Senate passed legislation that would allow for the continued use of OWBs despite the DEC regulations.

Now the Assembly has to vote on the legislation. Please contact your Assembly representative and ask for their support.

I think it was passed in the senate to allow existing units to operate. NOW WHERE ARE ANY HOOSIERS LETTING THEIR ELECTED OFFICIALS KNOW ABOUT THE BAN IN INDIANA? I wonder if the legislature can override an IDEM ruling like the one in NY.

Does anyone have any more recent data than the 41 complaints on over 7500 known installations of OWB's in Indiana? The IDEM contact is Susan Bem phone 1 800 451 6027.

Thank you for contacting me on the proposed New York State Department of
Environmental Conservation regulations and restrictions on outdoor wood
boilers. As it currently stands I am against the DEC’s proposals. I feel
that the blanket policy the DEC is hoping to impose is misguided as it does
not take into account the needs of upstate New York land owners.

Many upstate citizens live in rural areas and have relied on wood for heat
for generations. Outdoor wood boilers provide a safer means for utilizing
an abundant natural resource found in our area. Wood provides an
alternative renewable energy source and helps to limit our dependency on
foreign oil. When used properly, outdoor wood boilers are a very effective
means of heat and provides an economic value to the consumer.

I have co-sponsored Senate Bill 8061 which has passed the senate. This
bill seeks to grandfather currently operating outdoor wood boilers, set
emissions standards, and put regulation of outdoor wood boilers in the
hands of local government. The bill would support local economies that
utilize wood, while still protecting the environment, the community, and
the consumer. I am hopeful that the DEC takes into account the concerns
voiced at the public hearings by my constituents and other upstate New
Yorker residents. Once again thank you for voicing your concerns on this
important matter.

Sincerely,

Joseph A. Griffo
Senator

Thank you for contacting me on the proposed New York State Department of
Environmental Conservation regulations and restrictions on outdoor wood
boilers. As it currently stands I am against the DEC’s proposals. I feel
that the blanket policy the DEC is hoping to impose is misguided as it does
not take into account the needs of upstate New York land owners.

Many upstate citizens live in rural areas and have relied on wood for heat
for generations. Outdoor wood boilers provide a safer means for utilizing
an abundant natural resource found in our area. Wood provides an
alternative renewable energy source and helps to limit our dependency on
foreign oil. When used properly, outdoor wood boilers are a very effective
means of heat and provides an economic value to the consumer.

I have co-sponsored Senate Bill 8061 which has passed the senate. This
bill seeks to grandfather currently operating outdoor wood boilers, set
emissions standards, and put regulation of outdoor wood boilers in the
hands of local government. The bill would support local economies that
utilize wood, while still protecting the environment, the community, and
the consumer. I am hopeful that the DEC takes into account the concerns
voiced at the public hearings by my constituents and other upstate New
Yorker residents. Once again thank you for voicing your concerns on this
important matter.

Sincerely,

Joseph A. Griffo
Senator

I don't Think any thing is wrong with the environment. And using wood in any way don't cause it if they are

Assembly action required

Here's a message a family member received from a local DEC represenative:

"called local Senator's office and Exec Chamber Office of Rural Affairs - found out: State Assembly appears to be taking a stand to NOT pass a companion bill in support of Senate Bill. Both are controlled by the same party, but one doesn't seem to be supporting the other ???
rumor is Assembly will not take up the issue "until after this fall's election cycle"... and then, maybe after Jan 2011......because..by then, DEC is expected to have a "revised" Part 247, which will go back thru public hearings ad will be approved and be in place...and the Assembly will maybe ask why should they do anything, because now DEC already has a reg in place.?????

Sadly the public probably thinks the Senate bill, which passed unanimously, means the DEC proposal is DOA................

without the Assembly support, the Senate proposal will never hit the Governor's desk for signing.

If you know of any interested entities in favor of the Senate bill, they will need to know the boat hasn't reached shore yet, and more "political" rowing is needed........asap
fyi"

Please take time to contact your Assembly representative and demand action on this issue. I sent letters to every Assembly represenative earlier this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back