O.K.now gotta spliter 2--3-4-5-6in.diameter where s the line to not split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gotta Huskee 22 ton splitter and so far nothin can stop it......my ???? is what diameter wood do you not split for drying/burning efficiency ect. ect dont wanna split it if its not needed3/4/5/6 is there a cut off or do you splitem all and let the embers sort em out :newbie:

I split most of it down to 6-8 inches just so it is easier to lift.
It all depends on what your burning it in. I burn in an owb so I just need to be able to lift it without killing my back.
for and indoor stove ya may want it smaller.
It will dry quicker if split at least once though:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Heres how I do this!

I sell a little, and have learnt this from the masta....
If you can pick it up in one hand from the end, then it don't need splitting as a general guide.

Then I start finding out what stoves are out there. Hazel has a pretty good sized box, and can fit fairly decent pieces in there. Here at the house I have a insert that is happier with small stuff, 3-4 inches is about right. My ol' man has the same stove I use at the shop, and they can fit large stuff. 6 in, or bigger. Ann never complained, so she must have a decent stove as the usual size is what I deliver there (5 in). Richard on the other hand has some kind of overgorwn blast furnace that can literally burn 12" LOGS!!! Then Frank needs the smaller stuff....

I have to split accordingly to where it is going. I find that if your length is a little long then splitting it a little smaller is helpful.

-Pat

If its bigger than my forearm, it gets split, unless its one of those purrty ones that will hold the fire all nite long.:D

Latest posts

Back