O/T Funny how things change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In my post "Update on new to site & want to mill" I posted some
pics of a rustic bench I made, Mom looked at and said "funny how
things change". She went on to say years ago nobody wanted any
furniture or cabinets made out of oak, it was poor people's wood
(And we were poor, I was born 1960 and can remember not haven
inside pluming) That got me to thinking about the doors & trim in this
old house of ours, It's built backwards from the houses of today.
It was built in 1903, the framing is full 2X4 oak with I think it's call
storm siding, running at 45 deg. And all of the doors & trim are
yellow pine. when we bought the place, I took every door & jam out
and all of the trim, pulled out the lath & plaster
(WHAT A JOB THAT WAS) wired it, put insulation in, sheet rock
and all new pluming. We where lucky the doors & trim had never
been painted, so it was'nt as hard to strip them. What is really
amazing there is not a single knot in any of this wood.

I know this is off topic, But I thought anybody that likes
wood mite be interested. So here are a few pics of the
old yellow pine doors & trim, I would like to see pics of anybody's
old doors & trim. By the way the pocket door in the pic
is 5 1/2 foot wide.

Gary

Last edited:
Trigger-Time said:
... I took every door & jam out
and all of the trim, pulled out the lath & plaster
(WHAT A JOB THAT WAS) wired it, put insulation in, sheet rock
and all new pluming. We where lucky the doors & trim had never
been painted, so it was'nt as hard to strip them. What is really
amazing there is not a single knot in any of this wood.

That had to be a major undertaking but looks like it was worth every minute. Really adds a lot of warmth to the rooms, well done.

Trigger-Time said:
I know this is off topic, But I thought anybody that likes
wood mite be interested. So here are a few pics of the
old yellow pine doors & trim, I would like to see pics of anybody's
old doors & trim. By the way the pocket door in the pic
is 5 1/2 foot wide.

Gary

My parents home was built in 1906, most of the interior was painted white to help brighten up the rooms for the original owners as they got older. One of the reasons I got started gathering up a few woodworking tools was to duplicate some of the interior trim and exterior siding for future repairs. Those old houses have an appeal that can't be duplicated without a lot of effort, Thanks for posting the pictures.
Kevin

The decision to re-use those old doors and casings was a wise one. They sure do add a lot of elegance to the home. Wonderful job.

Trigger-Time said:
Mom looked at and said "funny how
things change". She went on to say years ago nobody wanted any
furniture or cabinets made out of oak, it was poor people's wood
Interesting to hear what kind of wood is popular and how it has changed many times over the years. In the late 70's, walnut was in so much demand here in the east that they were being stolen out of parks in the middle of the night. Guy drops and bucks a tree in minutes... log truck backs up and lifts it on... gone. My walnut stuff at shows sells 1/10 of what cherry and oak does, because people have houses done in oak and cherry these days. These past few years cherry seems to be in demand like it was all going away tomorrow. There was a time not long ago when paulownia was going for so much that guys were planting them plantation style banking on putting kids through college with them. Then the Chinese got in the market and the bottom dropped out. Times change, fads change. I also live in a 100 year old house with true full dimension 2x4's and 2x10's. It was a fixerupper, and first thing I did was rewire the place to code, it was all old knob and tube with silver clad copper wire coated with asphalt and fabric.

Nice job on the doors and trim Trigger. Wouldn't it have been cool if you could have done all that from wood milled from trees on the property?

Yes it was had work, But we both like it. We just lived about a
1 1/2 miles from this place, I told the wife that we are NOT
going to move in until the house is done, because I won't have
any pressure to get it done. After 4 months of almost every
night after work & week ends, and only third of the way done.
I found my wife crying on the porch, with big tears in her
eye's she said, I thought we could do this in 6 months ;)
She refinished all the trim and doors, all of the sheet rock mud.
We gutted the bathroom, she even tiled the shower, back splash
for the sink. She is a good wife :bowdown:

And here is a pic of the old place. I make my pics small, I'm on dial-up:(

Thanks, Gary

Last edited:
Woodshop, Same thing about the walnut trees around here,
They cut down walnut trees out of yards out in the
country, when the owners where at work!
Putting the trim back up was a real pain, driving finishing
nails in 100 year old oak is tough!

Gary

Someone did that on my family's land with a 24" cherry. The bastards only took the one straight section of the tree & left the rest! To top it off, the dumba$$ didn't do a cookie cut on the front & cracked the base part of the trunk, that still would have yielded a good amount of lumber, even though it was a little crooked. Cant trust anyone anymore. I need a hidden camera in my woods!!!!

Trigger-Time said:
And here is a pic of the old place. I make my pics small, I'm on dial-up

Beautiful place, Gary! Nice work, too.

Uh, I hope you ran new phone wiring, computer network cabling, and video cabling while you were at it!

I don't think that's possible. :D I'm slowly redoing my place (while living in it), and I plan 2 network jacks, 2 phone jacks, and 2 video jacks per outlet box, and at least one box on each wall in most rooms. 2 per wall in some rooms. (family room, living room) All running to a media center where I'll have patch panels and signal boosters as needed to get any signal to any box.

I work on log homes for a living and some times I get involved with stick built homes.I don't build them,I build and install log and timberframe staircases,log railings,trim,ect. I use the knottiest pine I can get for most all of the trim I make,I sell so much white pine trim that I can't hardly belive it.I guess I'm kind of spoiled cause Pine and Cedar are so easy to cut,and alot lighter!Where I used to live,Oak trim is a must.
Mark

Trigger-Time said:
BlueRidgeMark, It maybe possible now, One word (Wireless) ;)

Gary

I know wireless. I work with wireless. And let me tell you sir, wireless is no copper cable! :D

Speed is the thing! :hmm3grin2orange:

Besides, can you picture trying to get a WiFi signal into the basement of one of these old stone houses we have around here? Wires can be tough, but sometimes wireless just doesn't get the job done.

Sure beats ripping out walls, but if you have the walls open anyway, running wires is so easy that to give up the speed advantage doesn't make sense to me.

But then, I used to run wires for a living, so it's easy for me. Might not be for someone else. Not everybody has 5 foot long flexible drill bits laying around. :D

BlueRidgeMark said:
"Lose" rhymes with "booze". If you lose your saw, you don't know where it is.

"Loose" rhymes with "goose". If you loose your saw, you untied it. I hope you didn't drop it out of a tree!

"Then" is used to indicate time. "That was then, this is now."

"Than" is used for comparisons. "Mark is 2 years younger than me, but looks 15 years older."

The apostrophe is used for contractions and the possessive form (Mark's truck won't start.)

So explain the usage of who and whom to me...

I forgot where I asked this, and had a problems finding it.

The correct usage of these troublesome pronouns is often ignored in speech and informal writing when the word "whom" would sound forced or unnatural.​

This is the rule I've been using without knowing it.

Latest posts

Back