Oak Inside Roof Line, Technical Rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that I haven't seen such a slow and clumsy takedown in years.. Terrible cuts, terrible overhead anchor, terrible rope work by the groundie, totally uneccesay and a huge waste of time and energy. unecessary to leave those stubs. Cutting pieces way to small. painful to watch.. I could go into a lot more detail if I took the time to watch closely and take notes..

Anyone who thinks that was good technical rigging has never seen good technical rigging... I also think that a good faller could have set up some padding logs and dropped it across the drive (at some point) without touching the new 'crete.

I know that is a slap in the face to many, and I apologize. It makes me sound like a condescending snob, but it just happens to be true... Unfortunately there aren't enough people on this site that know first class rigging, to have the critical mass to tell the rest of you all that there is a better way.. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut... like my mother said, "if you have nothing nice to say.. say nothing"... But on the other hand maybe something could be learned here... So if you'd like to learn something, just ask... Otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut...

So if you'd like to learn something, just ask... Otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut...

i am going to pretend you were talking to me.

ok mullet.....i mean murph. what would you have done differently?

and just out of curiosity how you going to fell a tree INSIDE the roof line without removing part of the house? i am not going to watch the vid again but i am pretty sure that that part of the roof was built around the tree. anyway.

did the guy who put this video say that it was going to be a ground breaking precedent setting rigging expose'? no. he said it was an oak inside the roof line with some technical rigging to it. anything broken afterwards? nope. then to me , thats a good effort. which i commended. would i have done something different? maybe a few things but thats the beauty of tree work. its just like a haircut man. some go with short hair, some with long hair, and then some go with both.

btw your stance on pot smokers is about as laughable as your mullet is. i smoke(d) more pot than bob marley ever did and i still am a better tree guy than 95% of the guys out there. round here anyway. next time you are in beantown, let me know. i'll be glad to put a demonstration for ya.

signed yours truly, the other condescending arrogant ass hole of AS.

You did a fine job, don't let murphy get to ya.

He has a thing for watching guys run threw trees
ringing bells but not actually doing the work.
untitled.jpg

i am going to pretend you were talking to me.

ok mullet.....i mean murph. what would you have done differently?

and just out of curiosity how you going to fell a tree INSIDE the roof line without removing part of the house? i am not going to watch the vid again but i am pretty sure that that part of the roof was built around the tree. anyway.

did the guy who put this video say that it was going to be a ground breaking precedent setting rigging expose'? no. he said it was an oak inside the roof line with some technical rigging to it. anything broken afterwards? nope. then to me , thats a good effort. which i commended. would i have done something different? maybe a few things but thats the beauty of tree work. its just like a haircut man. some go with short hair, some with long hair, and then some go with both.

btw your stance on pot smokers is about as laughable as your mullet is. i smoke(d) more pot than bob marley ever did and i still am a better tree guy than 95% of the guys out there. round here anyway. next time you are in beantown, let me know. i'll be glad to put a demonstration for ya.

signed yours truly, the other condescending arrogant ass hole of AS.

This is a truely beutiful post oldirty, I couldnt agree more, I almost commented on what a good job that was way back, but decided not to bother for whatever reason. I'm not gonna watch it again right now but yeah, good job! At least he didnt need a crane (not that it wouldnt have been nice) like some people would insist on. Old school! Nice! Guy figured it out for himself.

Murpf, that mullet must be gettin too long or something, maybe she's going sour or evil on you?? I dunno, just chill a little dude, its just a little treework! I for one aint gonna run around like some 20 year old trying to ring some gay bell at a comp on every friggin tree job!

Get real and get a haircut dude. better yet, maybe I get my polesaw and trim that puppy right up nice for ya, lol. :)

I must have watched a different removal , In my limited exposure to tree work I thought you did a flawless job in a tough , tight area . Why ever take the chance of cracking any concrete or doing any damage to the house. If the job is sold right then you have the time to do it right....

I must have watched a different removal , In my limited exposure to tree work I thought you did a flawless job in a tough , tight area . Why ever take the chance of cracking any concrete or doing any damage to the house. If the job is sold right then you have the time to do it right....

I guess it wasnt up to mullet snuff. You know, "World Class".

I should have taken some pics of this herendous buttonwood we removed yesterday and half the day today, I think I'll be coughing fiberglass for a week..

Hey!!!!!

Havn't been on in a while, If you watch the video felling was not an option. New crete, in house, and if you look the only way possible to fell is directly into another tree. Not Good, plus if by chance I did break the concrete I would be losing money. All those risks add up to not worth it. If I had my way I would have had my HiRanger and a Crane, but with the location of the tree it would not have been possible.

To Murphy:

I was running the porty that day, and I would like to know exactly how you would have liked me to lower the limbs down?
As for my climber I started training him a couple years ago, so he is a little new.
For taking small limbs why do I have to take them huge?

I havn't seen any of your videos so post one so I can see how a pro does it.

P.S. I love the porty. Easy to use, Quick to set up, And smooth operation even at very high loads. And my mini loader.

Thanks for watching and commenting,

Havn't been on in a while, If you watch the video felling was not an option. New crete, in house, and if you look the only way possible to fell is directly into another tree. Not Good, plus if by chance I did break the concrete I would be losing money. All those risks add up to not worth it. If I had my way I would have had my HiRanger and a Crane, but with the location of the tree it would not have been possible.

To Murphy:

I was running the porty that day, and I would like to know exactly how you would have liked me to lower the limbs down?
As for my climber I started training him a couple years ago, so he is a little new.
For taking small limbs why do I have to take them huge?

I havn't seen any of your videos so post one so I can see how a pro does it.

P.S. I love the porty. Easy to use, Quick to set up, And smooth operation even at very high loads. And my mini loader.

Thanks for watching and commenting,
Ya did a fine job brotha.
Don't let ol' Murphy get to ya, he's like that.
TreeGuy.jpg

Besides loosing money or not, breaking concrete, who needs that headache?

Last edited:
My credentials

It's hard to know what the poster's level of knowledge and skill are on sites like these. You could have 5 low level skilled posters all saying the same thing and you would think they probably know what they are talking about. Unless you know better. And the reputation feature is more about popularity in your clique than any representation of real world knowledge.

So here is some of my background and experience.

Been a self employes professional arborist since 1981. I now pay the mortgage on over 1 million dollars worth of real estate.

Have written two lead articles in TCIA magazine, July '04 on the tapered hinge and June '06, the fundamentals and fine points of footlocking. Tom Dunlap said of the latter article that it was the most complete and informative article on the subjest that had ever been published in writing or video at the time. I made the cover photo in both issues.

I was invited to speak by the ISA at their International Tree Symposium in 2004.

I AM a hands on arborist. Most weeks I work 5 or more days in the field. I have run crews that have put $11k in trees on the ground in one day with the crane. I regularly produce $75-100/man/hour even in this economy. I have rigged and or dropped many trees that other companies were going to use a crane on.

My mentor, Jon Grier, was the top take down man for the most reputable tree service in the philly suburbs. He did monster removals everyday for years. He learned a lot from his co-worker Jim Roach, a 7 time winner of the penn-del isa tcc. I can't put into words the level these guys are climbing at. You'd have to see it to understand.

I own all my equipment. Its paid for. Have over 500 hours personally running the Rayco super rg-50. I worked hugo in '89 and Isabel in 2004, and Charlie, Jean and Francis in 2005.

I won the aerial rescue at the isa Penn-del chapter wetern division TCC in 2006. That was only the second time I had ever done a rescue. I also timed 78 seconds in the footlock that year. That is cerainly not fast, but at least I can footlock.

I have a lot of knowledge and experience and I AM willing to share it when it recieves the respect it is due. So what are you all here for? (Yes, genated my delivery sucked.. I was in a pssy mood that day.) Are you here to learn or not?
Seems like many here would prefer to make fun of my hair (granted that was funny) than learn something. So who are you going to listen to.. the guy that doesn't own a porta-wrap or me?

So I'll amswer GGs question:

You took too many wraps on those pieces. The first shot of climber shows him unecessarily one-handing the saw (which he does throughout the video) above his head. That is a dangerous practice, especially for an inexperienced climber. There is a reason why ANSI rules against that. In the second shot, the climber is improperly positioned relative to the cut, either from fear, laziness or possibly from not having his TIP point high enough.
Then in that same shot you are standing too far away from the porty, with too many wraps. There was slack between you and the porty as you walked up to take the wraps off You edited out taking the wraps off. So it took you at least 20 seconds to get that piece to drop from the time it was cut, maybe more. That is a waste of time. It adds up if you do that 30-60 times a day. Not only is it a waste of time. You have no control to let the piece run, which can cause them hanging up on the stubs (which shouldn't have been left there in the first place). The video shows a close up of the porty with 3 wraps on it. There was no piece on that video that needed more than 1 wrap.
Also when you just automatically just take three wraps you don;t get a good feel for letting a piece run, which you may have to do in a very controlled way in critical situations. So it is good to practice in non critical situations.

It would have also been better to have the porty on ground level, though you may have had your reasons for working from the roof. Perhaps the rope was not long enough. You could have laced the lowering line around the house with a little care, which would have put two extra hnads on the ground where they were needed.

What's wrong with taking a piece in two (or three!) when it could be easily and safely taken in 1, is again time. All those mistakes add up... at the end of the day, you could have saved 2-3 hours.

Those are the answers to your questions. I made notes of 15 mistakes made in that video. Many of them multiple times. So does anybody want to learn from this video? Yes or no... either post or rep to speak your truth.

It's hard to know what the poster's level of knowledge and skill are on sites like these. You could have 5 low level skilled posters all saying the same thing and you would think they probably know what they are talking about. Unless you know better. And the reputation feature is more about popularity in your clique than any representation of real world knowledge.

So here is some of my background and experience.

Been a self employes professional arborist since 1981. I now pay the mortgage on over 1 million dollars worth of real estate.

Have written two lead articles in TCIA magazine, July '04 on the tapered hinge and June '06, the fundamentals and fine points of footlocking. Tom Dunlap said of the latter article that it was the most complete and informative article on the subjest that had ever been published in writing or video at the time. I made the cover photo in both issues.

I was invited to speak by the ISA at their International Tree Symposium in 2004.

I AM a hands on arborist. Most weeks I work 5 or more days in the field. I have run crews that have put $11k in trees on the ground in one day with the crane. I regularly produce $75-100/man/hour even in this economy. I have rigged and or dropped many trees that other companies were going to use a crane on.

My mentor, Jon Grier, was the top take down man for the most reputable tree service in the philly suburbs. He did monster removals everyday for years. He learned a lot from his co-worker Jim Roach, a 7 time winner of the penn-del isa tcc. I can't put into words the level these guys are climbing at. You'd have to see it to understand.

I own all my equipment. Its paid for. Have over 500 hours personally running the Rayco super rg-50. I worked hugo in '89 and Isabel in 2004, and Charlie, Jean and Francis in 2005.

I won the aerial rescue at the isa Penn-del chapter wetern division TCC in 2006. That was only the second time I had ever done a rescue. I also timed 78 seconds in the footlock that year. That is cerainly not fast, but at least I can footlock.

I have a lot of knowledge and experience and I AM willing to share it when it recieves the respect it is due. So what are you all here for? (Yes, genated my delivery sucked.. I was in a pssy mood that day.) Are you here to learn or not?
Seems like many here would prefer to make fun of my hair (granted that was funny) than learn something. So who are you going to listen to.. the guy that doesn't own a porta-wrap or me?

So I'll amswer GGs question:

You took too many wraps on those pieces. The first shot of climber shows him unecessarily one-handing the saw (which he does throughout the video) above his head. That is a dangerous practice, especially for an inexperienced climber. There is a reason why ANSI rules against that. In the second shot, the climber is improperly positioned relative to the cut, either from fear, laziness or possibly from not having his TIP point high enough.
Then in that same shot you are standing too far away from the porty, with too many wraps. There was slack between you and the porty as you walked up to take the wraps off You edited out taking the wraps off. So it took you at least 20 seconds to get that piece to drop from the time it was cut, maybe more. That is a waste of time. It adds up if you do that 30-60 times a day. Not only is it a waste of time. You have no control to let the piece run, which can cause them hanging up on the stubs (which shouldn't have been left there in the first place). The video shows a close up of the porty with 3 wraps on it. There was no piece on that video that needed more than 1 wrap.
Also when you just automatically just take three wraps you don;t get a good feel for letting a piece run, which you may have to do in a very controlled way in critical situations. So it is good to practice in non critical situations.

It would have also been better to have the porty on ground level, though you may have had your reasons for working from the roof. Perhaps the rope was not long enough. You could have laced the lowering line around the house with a little care, which would have put two extra hnads on the ground where they were needed.

What's wrong with taking a piece in two (or three!) when it could be easily and safely taken in 1, is again time. All those mistakes add up... at the end of the day, you could have saved 2-3 hours.

Those are the answers to your questions. I made notes of 15 mistakes made in that video. Many of them multiple times. So does anybody want to learn from this video? Yes or no... either post or rep to speak your truth.

Murphy, I will never come on here and bash someone elses work ,it just not me, with that being said I do appreciate your level of expertise in the field of tree work . I think ultimately the methods of removal fall solely on the people removing the tree . I thought the video was a clean no damage video and I have no idea how much they were paid and time allowed for that removal. My opinion still stands at this : if you are charging well then why rush its that simple, and though I clearly do not have your credentials I stick to that philosophy and enjoy my work daily...

Wow!!!

That is impressive, you know all those things you said.

Still where is your video? You know to show us how it is done.

Take a camera in to work with you and share, with all that money I'm sure you can afford one.

I am not the kind of person that rushes, and usually I take them as big as possible. But that day I just wanted to take my time, plus like I said did not have all my gear.

So if you want to rush your guys go ahead.

Yeah I did stand to far back from the porty, but I really don't like being struck in the head by swinging limbs. For putting so many wraps on, if I had to help push the limb out from the house I could have let go and it would have held plus I can always take some off (not a real difficult task and I think it takes 3 sec. not 20).

Let me guess the logs at the end you would have cut them then carried them down on your shoulder.

Maybe I should have brought in my helicopter, that would have made it go faster for sure.

P.S. I don't see how running a stump grinder is impressive?

Last edited:
I bet I have more trees under my belt than Murphy. I'm Just sayin'
monkey8.jpg

Last edited:
I had a guy (Jim) that use to work for me. I called him Get-r-don.
Because he spent so much time talking about how he got-r-don...he didn't get anything done.

Hey you're method for rigging that trunk was a good solution. Well thought out:clap:

It sure was, Reg!

Good job, gg. The wood rigging was very cool, and innovative, the branch work was so so....but you gotter dun...

Murph, you really stepped in it this time. Time to reign in that hat size, methinx. I thought mine was big... and I've been climbing since 1975...

Latest posts

Back