Oak leaves and acorns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a picture that shows the leaves and acorns from the three types of oaks that grow on my property. The top is the Valley Oak, the lower left is the Live Oak, and the lower right is the Blue Oak. A lot of people look at a Blue Oak and call it a Valley Oak, but as you can see from the leaves they're quite different.

What do the oak leaves in your neck of the woods look like?

80-acorns_1977e9255f893b0a533cb80efd355abd22b1899b.jpg

NJ has just about every kind of oak in NA from people bringing them in.

That one on the lower left in your pic we see as an ornamental once in a while. They are called holly oaks around here. The red (several varieties), white, pin (several), shumard and more are common near my house but as you head east toward the pines you see more varieties such as chinkapin, post, overcup, white, white hybrids, chestnut, black plus a few more that elude me at preset. No water oaks are naturally occurring around these parts or southern live oaks they call them down yonder. Those are closely related to our laurel bushes I'd guess.

This explains it better than I do.
https://www.plantsnap.com/plantblog/types-of-oak-trees/
Sorry no pics on this device.

I've got oaks that look similar to your Blue Oak. Don't know what we call them.
Also have lots of Pin Oak and some few White Oak. North central Ohio,

Oak wilt is on the rise here.

Here's a picture that shows the leaves and acorns from the three types of oaks that grow on my property. The top is the Valley Oak, the lower left is the Live Oak, and the lower right is the Blue Oak. A lot of people look at a Blue Oak and call it a Valley Oak, but as you can see from the leaves they're quite different.

What do the oak leaves in your neck of the woods look like? If you need more oak firewood in the future plant a bunch of acorns and in 20 30 years you should have som e big oak trees to cut down for firewood

plant a bunch of acorns and in 20 25 years plus you shoul;d have some large oak trees to be cut down for\firewood

plant a bunch of acorns and in 20 25 years plus you shoul;d have some large oak trees to be cut down for\firewood
Hardwoods are once in a lifetime harvest. I leave them standing unless they need thinning. We have water oaks, red oaks, and a few swamp chestnut oaks. I’ve planted white oaks, sawtooths, and live oaks. Sawtooths start bearing around age 7-8. The rest takes about 15 or more years. I planted these for deer hunting. Water oaks grow everywhere.

Seems like there's quite some different species in the States, I had no idea really.

We have a non-native, even invasive species here in Western Europa (that is more succesful than our native oak species, it competes them 'out'), we call 'American oak', just looked it up on wikipedia and apparently its Latin name is Quercus rubra.

Quercus_rubra-15783C6C1A.jpg

Our native species, or at least the ones I know, are Quercus Robur (called summer oak here, apparently also called common or English oak, internationally) and Quercus petraea (winter oak, aka sessile oak, Cornish oak, Irish Oak or durmast oak).

"It is a native of North America, in the eastern and central United States and southeast and south-central Canada", according to Wikipedia; it's also mentioned that it is often called 'Red Oak'. Probably because its leaves get a pretty red color in autumn.
It grows pretty fast and its thick canopy blocks off too much sunlight for stuff to grow under it.

Latest posts

Back