oak prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a single log, it's a black oak, NO defects. About 20' long (still standing) At the very base is 47" in diameter, at DBH is 32 - 33" in diameter.

I know that prices will vary to a certain extent, but what range could I be looking at for this log if sold to a mill? I don't care if you are off by $5 or $5,000 I just want to know if this has any value whatsoever as lumber or veneer.

one?

One log is a hard thing to sell but take a look over at www.woodweb.com then call around your area for a sawmill that might want it. It's even harder to sell if it's a residential tree. Short of having a buddy with a mill or a mill nearby one stick is a hard thing to sell. Use the calculator over there to get an idea on the board foot the log will end up at.

It is not the DBH that counts, saw logs are measured on the small end.

The local guy I deal with here might give $50 bucks for it, but I would have to deliver it. I quit dropping off good Oak logs to our local mill guy, I could bust them up for firewood and make out better than what he would pay.

He would pay just about the same for low grade logs like Elm Cottonwood, Sycamore , I guess there was better money in the 4x4 market, he would sell these 4x4's to construction companies for shoring lumber when they did bridge work.

I know when he bought timber he wouldn't give much more than $ 75 /tree on the stump for big nice Oaks. Seemed like such a waste to me to think a 100 to 150 year old Oak wasn't worth more than $ 75 to a $100 bucks.

Larry

not much

In these parts,it's about a tad less than fire wood,sad to say.On the selling end,as lumber,it's a differant story.On most farms,a timber buyer is about as popular as a horse thief.

Good luck Matt. From what I've seen the loggers won't even bring the truck for less than a full load, except cherry. The money in that log is there if you take it the whole way, cut it, mill it and air dry it and it will sell around here for good $$, more if you kiln dry it.

No Nick, however it is down by your grandparents' place. The log is located at this place in Ossining with a great view of the river. All the wood has to go from this tree, and this one log is going to be a PITA to get rid of. The job is priced too low to pay to bring a machine down, however if somebody with a logging truck and a machine were to come down for the log... that would be great if they were in it for the log.

Not a likely scenario w/ the price of fuel.

I'll suggest contacting Woodmizer for a list of referals of guys in your area with portable bandmills. Might be your only "free" option.

I don't think that the people with houses between this tree, and the river would appreciate that too much.

My local sawmill will accept single logs that I deliver. You should call around.
The sawmill I use gives me $0.60 a board foot for bur oak for a log with four good faces and less for logs with less goodfaces. It does not hurt to call your local sawmills and ask.

treeman82 said:
I don't think that the people with houses between this tree, and the river would appreciate that too much.
If you hit my granddad, I will personally deliver a can of whoop azz on your hiney.

Latest posts

Back