Oak tree is bleeding black fluid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pankaj Shah

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a newbie to this forum, having just discovered it this morning.

I have a big (~40-foot) beautiful 30-year old Coastal Oak in my front yard. It seems stressed because there are multiple spots from where it is bleeding a black fluid.

Now, the tree is in what used to be a sloped front yard, which was raised by more than 2 feet of dirt/compost to have a more level yard, with a lawn on it. We did not put any irrigation to ensure that the tree's roots get water or anything else directly. Could this be the reason that the tree is stressed and is showing this symptom? There also appear to be cankers according to one tree professional my wife met yesterday.

If you have ideas for what I could look into or do, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,
Pankaj

None of that is good. Changing the grade is more then likely the cause of all those problems. Some type of fungal infection is probably going to kill your tree. Cankers or mushrooms mean the root are infected, phytophthroa or beetles can cause bleeding I believe.
Removing dirt and inspection of the roots should be one of the first actions. Calling an arborist who can properly diagnose and treat your tree should be done as soon as possible if you value your tree.

None of that is good. Changing the grade is more then likely the cause of all those problems. Some type of fungal infection is probably going to kill your tree. Cankers or mushrooms mean the root are infected, phytophthroa or beetles can cause bleeding I believe.
Removing dirt and inspection of the roots should be one of the first actions. Calling an arborist who can properly diagnose and treat your tree should be done as soon as possible if you value your tree.
Thank you! Don't see any mushrooms. I just saw an arborist who believes that what I need is to dig around the trunk until we can expose the root crowns, and beyond that he suggested trimming the tree a fair amount.

I didn't think to ask him, but would it be beneficial to dig holes around the yard (a few right around the trunk) and provide a way to get a lot of water to the roots?

Pankaj

The roots also require air. Making wells will not likely help. They will as likely as not just exacerbate the rot and go septic.
I like to advise folks to replace a tree in advance. If you want to have a tree there have your local professional advise you on a good spot to plant and what species.
With the knowledge that your current tree will be removed.
I agree with beast master. There's not a lot that a tree can do to cope with a grade change.

It way more complex then just getting water to the roots. If fact to much water on your oak will do more harm then good.

The roots also require air. Making wells will not likely help. They will as likely as not just exacerbate the rot and go septic.
I like to advise folks to replace a tree in advance. If you want to have a tree there have your local professional advise you on a good spot to plant and what species.
With the knowledge that your current tree will be removed.
I agree with beast master. There's not a lot that a tree can do to cope with a grade change.

Understood. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back