Oak Tree- Is this normal bark shedding from growth?Canopy is very green in season (rainy week so everything is wet ). Also- enough root flare exposed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics

Attachments

• 20240112_164438.jpg
    20240112_164438.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_164430.jpg
    20240112_164430.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_164410.jpg
    20240112_164410.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Root flare looks fine from here.
The bark does look strange though.
I could imagine those dogs chasing squirrels up that tree and wearing off the lower section over time. It's just a guess.

I could imagine those dogs chasing squirrels up that tree and wearing off the lower section over time. It's just a guess.
Didn't even think about that... is it harmful to the tree? I already know that's never going to stop lol

Possibilities and these possibilities combined:
1. Dog urine.
2 Soil compaction.
3. Constant removal and no replacement of organics on the soil surface.
4. Looks like soil has been added to the area to cover roots that were above the surface due to compaction and no surface organic material.
5. The possibilities of toxin applied or spilled in the tree root zone area.
6. Do any neighbors have swimming pools?
7. I can almost see marks in the bark from tree climbing spikes.
8. Air pollution may be a stresser.
9. Demons.
10. Even the lawn looks very poor in parts of the yard away from the tree.
11. Poor drainage with periods of fully saturated soil.
12. Chemicals used to clean back deck maybe pressure washing.
13. Witches.

I'd agree that it looks like dogs or other external de-barking are at work on the tree. Kids throwing stuff at the tree is an option, too. The first pic looks like it has a single spur climbing track going up the tree, much higher than any dog could go.

Del is being a bit silly with his post, but he makes a few good comments. Trees in urban settings tend to have thin soil and a few bare roots rising up out of the soil. This is because humans tend to remove the thick, natural mulch of leaves and organic material covering the ground in a natural forest while pursuing a thick lawn.

Your tree looks like the soil is headed that way. Consider planting a few more landscape plants in a big mulched ring around the tree. Put in some perennial plants that are shade-loving, and you will get a somewhat healthier tree and a lovely landscape area as well. It might be advantageous to put a short decorative barrier of some sort to discourage the dogs from trampling your landscape.

That would just be a guess. Either way, I don't see a long-term health problem.

Del is being a bit silly with his post, but he makes a few good comments. Trees in urban settings tend to have thin soil and a few bare roots rising up out of the soil. This is because humans tend to remove the thick, natural mulch of leaves and organic material covering the ground in a natural forest while pursuing a thick lawn.

A few good comments?

OK.

Just trying to cover all of the bases.

LOL!

I'd agree that it looks like dogs or other external de-barking are at work on the tree. Kids throwing stuff at the tree is an option, too. The first pic looks like it has a single spur climbing track going up the tree, much higher than any dog could go.

Your tree looks like the soil is headed that way. Consider planting a few more landscape plants in a big mulched ring around the tree. Put in some perennial plants that are shade-loving, and you will get a somewhat healthier tree and a lovely landscape area as well. It might be advantageous to put a short decorative barrier of some sort to discourage the dogs from trampling your landscape.

That would just be a guess. Either way, I don't see a long-term health problem.
Just curious, how would other plants improve the soil? Also, in the interim, would scattering leaves/pine needles around the area help? I plan to aerate and top dress the whole yard with Compost in spring time

Digging and relieving compaction are good, but my suggestion was to improve the visual appeal for a much larger mulched area. Just adding mulch to the top has been shown to improve the soil beneath, and most folks don't care for the visual effect of a 30 foot diameter mulch ring.

Turn that into a low maintenance landscape area with decorations, seasonal (perennial) color, along with some winter interest, and you have improved the health of your tree as well as increased the value of your home. All while simplifying your problems with bare ground, mud, and trying to get the grass to grow under the tree.

Drop a couple of outdoor chairs into that new landscape, then go sit in the shade under the tree, enjoying your new favorite spot. Read. Relax. It will be better money spent than visiting your therapist.

Latest posts

Back