Oak Tree Pruned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my CA Black Oak tree I just had pruned of it'd dead wood and mistletoe. I had an arborist, Jay Marshall, who lives near my cabin that has been doing this type of work since he was 18. He did a super job and now my friend who has 4-5 trees on his place wants him to do his trees. It was well worth the money to have a pro do this type of pruning. Anyone thinking of having a tree pruned and thinks it's too expensive to have a pro do the work, your wrong. This tree is the focal point of the property when you come up the driveway, and I didn't want to loose it due to mistletoe. He estimated the tree to be over 100 years old. So if you need a big tree trimmed do yourself a favor, call a pro. To all you guys who do this work for a living, my hats off to you. You earn your $$. Oh, he charged me $375 to do the tree.

jerry-

How did Jay treat the mistletoe so it will not resprout? Or will he be back next year?

Nice looking tree btw.:)

Your oak looks pretty good.

I've never treated a tree for mistletoe but I need to get with the program.

I was talking to a friend who has a big gardening, tree trimming business and he was telling me they have a treatment now that is plugged into a tree which is absorbed into the tree that fights many different bugs. He said they can also treat mistletoe in trees once the tree has been pruned of mistletoe..

The guy who did my tree was much more fun to watch. Besides I was able to spend a couple of days at my cabin.

jerry-

We just finished a grant to remove mistletoe from live oaks in a San Bernadino mountain community, and we have done other mistletoe jobs in sycamores where we remove the mistletoe and then cover it with black plastic(useing duck tape)and remove the plastic the following year, but I would be vary interested in a spray or even an injection that was effective in controlling the regrowth of mistletoe. Any more Info? PS the tree look nice.

Last edited:
how did he climb?

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my CA Black Oak tree I just had pruned of it'd dead wood and mistletoe. I had an arborist, Jay Marshall, who lives near my cabin that has been doing this type of work since he was 18. He did a super job and now my friend who has 4-5 trees on his place wants him to do his trees. It was well worth the money to have a pro do this type of pruning. Anyone thinking of having a tree pruned and thinks it's too expensive to have a pro do the work, your wrong. This tree is the focal point of the property when you come up the driveway, and I didn't want to loose it due to mistletoe. He estimated the tree to be over 100 years old. So if you need a big tree trimmed do yourself a favor, call a pro. To all you guys who do this work for a living, my hats off to you. You earn your $$. Oh, he charged me $375 to do the tree.

jerry-

I am curious, how did the arborist work? Bucket truck, climbing with spikes, spikeless climbing with ropes?? The tree looks nice to me.

We just finished a grant to remove mistletoe from live oaks in a San Bernadino mountain community, and we have done other mistletoe jobs in sycamores where we remove the mistletoe and then cover it with black plastic(useing duck tape)and remove the plastic the following year, but I would be vary interested in a spray or even an injection that was effective in controlling the regrowth of mistletoe. Any more Info? PS the tree look nice.

My buddy is off on a hunting trip somewhere. I'll talk to him when he gets back about the treatment his company uses. When I was talking to him he told me it's a system that is tapped into the tree and injected over a period of time to treat the tree.

jerry-

I am curious, how did the arborist work? Bucket truck, climbing with spikes, spikeless climbing with ropes?? The tree looks nice to me.

He used a ladder to basically get up into the tree. He then used his tree climbers/spikes in some spots, and ropes to move from limb to limb. It was actually fun to watch him work as he looked very comfortable moving from limb to limb. I was very happy with his work and will use him again for my other trees needing pruning. My friend saw his work and has scheduled him to trim five of his big oaks.

Have a good weekend.

jerry-

the tree looks good but, those words just killed the words ARBORIST & PRO in your first post.

I guess when I said tree climber spikes I should have been more descriptive. The boots he was wearing reminded me of golf spikes on the bottom not those things that are strapped to the sides of your legs. He had some of those but didn't wear them. I guess you would wear them if you were cutting the tree down, right?

jerry-

Back