Oak Tree Repair with Concrete

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmotlo

Reaction score
I live in the Central Coast of California and have a Century Oak (probably a Red Oak) that needs repair. It has a crotch between two major trunks at the base approx 3 feet off the ground. There is a large split between the two trunks which is approx 1 inch wide and 20 inches long. I had the tree trimmed to lessen the load which created the split. I feel that water and other debis may contribute to rot and disease in this splt if I don't seal it up. I have seen repairs to large oaks at Hearst Castle done with concrete. Do you think this would be a good ptreventative measure? I could easily squirt mortar mix into this crack to seal off the elements. What do you think?

fmotlo

That's a big NO on the concrete ... a 70's idea, went out with flares, affro and disco. The pathogens that you're worried about are already there and sometimes sealing them in is worse plus concrete was a dumb idea in the first place ... extremely alkaline, shrinks when it sets, doesn't bond to wood, can be porous, cracks easy etc etc. Even painting wounds is frowned upon.

Doesn't sound good at all, any chance of some pics ... close up far away etc so we get to see the wound, the canopy and the targets.

Most likely the best procedure here would be clamping and cabling. But please, post some pics ... you're in good hands here

Ekka said:
fmotlo Most likely the best procedure here would be clamping and cabling. But please, post some pics ... you're in good hands here
fmotlo? If it's pm me the def willya?

Yes, please post one picture of the crack and one picture of the whole tree. If the person who trimmed your tree was not able to attend to the crack, we're concerned about the shape of the crown too.

Re PICS

It wil take me a week to get some pics because I'll have to borrow a digital camera. Thanks for the good info on the concrete. :)

I've seen a lot of oaks that have hollow branches or trunks - many of them with concrete pumped in. Is this hollowing normal for oaks or is it indicative of a problem?

Heartrot is part of the natural life cycle of most hardwoods (including oaks) and some conifers, and is not necessarily indicative of a problem. I have climbed a bald cypress that was 21'7" in circumference (not a monster by any means, but a BIG tree none the less) which was hollow from the base to the canopy, and probably has been for several hundreds of years, and will be for a few hundred more perhaps.

JamesTX said:
I've seen a lot of oaks that have hollow branches or trunks - many of them with concrete pumped in. Is this hollowing normal for oaks or is it indicative of a problem?
Both; it depends. Often hollows form after wounding, and form faster if the tree is stressed. texasnative is right.

Back