Oak trees - close proximity - root sharing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorfan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My friend has several white oaks in his front yard, and they are quite close to each other (maybe anywhere from 15-30 feet apart). He's concerned that any work done to any of them (removals only) after April will adversely affect the other ones due to the possibility(?) of the roots being connected between the trees. My question is: are those roots connected and will there be the risk of pathogens spreading through the root systems of a freshly cut stump to the other live trees?

Thanks

oaks dont have shared roots, worse case the remaining trees get stressed from more light being let in, but i doubt anything will happen

Ok, thanks for the replies. So, I take it that it's unlikely but possible? Would it make any difference whatsoever if the the ones marked for removal are done prior to April as apposed to after it?

Decomposition of the roots on the trees that are removed will happen irregardless of when they are taken out and any transfer will be through them.

Oak roots

Unless your dealing with oak wilt you shouldn't have any problems. They do it all the time in a forest situation in selecting individual trees to harvest and leaving the rest of the stand.

Latest posts

Back