Odd branch on Black Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a branch on one of our black walnuts in our front yard (7" DBH, 30' tall) that is growing out of the south side of the tree (6' from the ground), but instead of growing straight out, it is growing in an eastward direction. I've never encountered something like this before and not sure what caused it. When the tree is leafed out it looks like a well-formed tree. There are other similarly sized trees in the area but crowding is not an issue.

I've taken a couple of pictures - the first is taken looking north (the blurry red arrow points to the branch), and the second is taken looking east, with the branch growing out of the tree at the bottom of the picture. The lateral branches growing from this branch are the only ones in the southern part of the canopy for the first 20 feet of the tree, so if I remove it the tree would look pretty ugly. Will this branch present problems in the future if left as is?

47b3cf30b3127cce81b7407d8eff0000001610

47b3cf30b3127cce81b7407b8ef90000001610

Originally posted by wysiwyg
if I remove it the tree would look pretty ugly. Will this branch present problems in the future if left as is?
Your second picture didn't show shere the branch rubs the trunk. If it presses against it too much I'd shorten--reduce-- the branch to lessen the pressure on the trunk.:)
If the branc rubs less than 25% of the trunk's circumference it may not be bad. Post a pic with the conact point(s) evident.

Here are some better close ups. The branch doesn't appear to be rubbing anywhere. Do you think the bark below the crotch is included or might this just be reaction wood? It looks like this on both sides of the tree. The bottom picture is taken facing north. The weight of the branch is causing a bending force parallel to the trunk instead of perpendicular to it, can a tree physically sustain this kind of connection as the branch grows?

47b3cf33b3127cce81a2792d468e0000001610

47b3cf33b3127cce81a2791146b20000001610

It isn't an ideal branch union. nor is it one doomed to failure. If you are worried about the load generated by the way the branch curls away to the side (a reasonable concern) you can lighten the load and influence its future growth by shortening to a good lateral branch.

Originally posted by Stumper
you can lighten the load and influence its future growth by shortening to a good lateral branch.
An excellent statement on the benefits of reduction cuts judiciously made.:)
Good work on the photos; they show that for biological reasons pruning may be good to do, but reduction an equally viable strategy to achieve aesthetic goals.

Back