OE 346 xp troubleshooting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
Well aint this a weird one.

I received this OE 346 XP, that was running poorly, on both end it kept waving alot.

So, i took and cleaned the carb with ultrasonic, put in a full carb kit, changed the intake boot & clamp, and a new plug plus fule hose & gas filter.

The saw started nice....and what the hell....the revs kept rising and rising, no matter what i did with all the three adjusting screws. Then happened an interesting thing, i was trying to stop the engine but the kill switch didnt affect it anyway and i know there was everything connected as they should be, from coil to plug and switch. Then i pulled off the spark plug cap, and the damn thing did NOT stop running.... well i rripped off the air filter and choked it with my hand as well as used the brake lever, then it died. And when i tried it again, it would seem that it would do it again so i choked it off immediately....i can only guess how high rpm´s woul have been when the saw would have blown to skies.

There aint any mods, except for leaving the lower gasket off, and i used high quality silicone sealent "glue" to replace the missing paper gasket.

So, now i am pulling away the c&p and carb and looking for evidence of air leak or something.... Luckily the c&p did not get damaged in any way, no melted aluminium residue or nothing.

Any idea folks ?

Its kind of a uncool thing to have an diesel-like chainsaw you know...glow plug style :angry:

ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
yeah well thats a good idea, how didnt i think of that. Its about the only place anymore, for the saw to suck axtra air....and i think its due to air leak, as turning H or L screw to richer, it only runs higher and higher, unlike its supposed to do, but offcourse :bang:, if it takes extra air and i allow more fuel to to flow in ,then its goin to act just liike that...man i feel sooo stupid.

ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
Sir yes sir,

it kept running, no matter what. First i used the kill switch, nothing happened....then i ripped off the plug wire, no affect..the damn thing would yeld higher and higher, then i stuck my palm on the intake and turned the chain brake on, then it stopped :msp_scared::msp_biggrin:

The piston WAS indeed under pretty greasy sticky carbon goo, as did the combustion chamber. But, the flywheel side seal also proofed to be leaking quite a bit.

The intake, rubber part, as well as the pulse hose, and clamp were all Husky brand and new and put in place well, after cleaning the surfaces.

The plug was new and in that tiny moment it didnt get covered by any residue but the plain steel, thats originally steel colour, turned in to rainbow colours...blue,green....so it was pretty hot i think :tongue2:

Hey new junk in da house, more junk....at the end of the day, while i was pressure testing the 346, a guy walked in with a 2 year old 357xpg, that had run THREE MINUTES...then stuck...."did you add oil in to the gas"...."oil, huh...oil? "...

the saw was heavily stuck....after removing the c&p,its still HARD to turn...straight gas, oh boy ! Bearings to be changed.....

ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
Howdy folks.

Hello people, long time no see.

I got stuck on other hobbies, but still woods-related, and got unemployeed through the winter etc, but ive been tinkering a bit, wit saws, and now i am working in the woods, with chainsaw and i dont complain.

Ive sold a good few of my saws to get thru the times without work, though and thats s-ucks.

But, today, i remembered to log in and update the saw stuff a bit.

Since ive been broken wallet....mor ethan ever :), i havent done a damn thing to 346xp, but, i got this plastic johnsy, 2150, that was supposed to leak from seals, but it was one of those " i think it leaks" saws, and the only leak, was in the intake side. So, i sawpped one of my 346 jugs, being the OE / 42mm, honed it, after widening the intake and exhaust ports mildly, some 3 millimeters a side,to the 2150 cases, and ground away all the excess tin from the muffler, replaced the original outlet with 15mm inside diameter, inch long pipe. New carb kit, yellow air filter, 8 pin chain pulley. Oh yes, i took away the cylinder gasket too, to have a bit more compression.

I had this busted oe346xp, that also donated its clutch, as the stock cluthch was fixed chain pulley-type and we cant have that :).

I donno wat you think about this sort of crappy poor white guy hotrod saw but in my opinion, this eats wood like a beast, compare to the original open port 44mm c&p stock saw :angry:

What i was about to ask you gents, is that can any of you, tell me, what markings are found in 44mm / ne 346xp´s cylinder ?

I fpund one jug, without decomp hole, that has close ports, and its 44mm, and man i am hoping it would be ne346 jug. It has " ++ 44 zk 4 w 1" in its cast, when the stock open port 2150 jug has " 44 z d 11 ++ w4-2"....with my luck its just some 351 cylinder, i am guessing.....

View attachment 292319
View attachment 292320
View attachment 292321

Last edited:
ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
tallfarmboy

tallfarmboy

ArboristSite Guru
Would there be anyway that it could be sucking in oil from the bar oil reservoir and "dieseling" with the addition of that oil? Might be worth yanking the P/C and inspecting the crankcase.

Very strange problem.

TFB

Latest posts