Off brand and/or Import chainsaw chain, which ones the best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason6586

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for awhile now and would like people’s opinions on the topic. We all know the most popular name brands like Oregon, Carlton, Stihl, ect. But if those weren’t available what would be the next one up the list from a quality and performance standpoint? I’m not going to include price in this comparison because that would just make it more difficult. Another thing is I’m just interested in standard saw chain, not square ground, carbide or anything in the specialty market. I also know that some of the secondary or off brands are manufactured for the company by one of the name brand companies but that’s fine since they may use their own specs which would differ from that companies primary brand.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jason

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and would like people’s opinions on the topic. We all know the most popular name brands like Oregon, Carlton, Stihl, ect. But if those weren’t available what would be the next one up the list from a quality and performance standpoint? I’m not going to include price in this comparison because that would just make it more difficult. Another thing is I’m just interested in standard saw chain, not square ground, carbide or anything in the specialty market. I also know that some of the secondary or off brands are manufactured for the company by one of the name brand companies but that’s fine since they may use their own specs which would differ from that companies primary brand.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jason
If you don't include price, what's the point of buying the off-brand chains if they aren't cheaper? They are not going to stay off-brand for very long if they are actually better quality.

Used to be able to get Laser brand chain (Carlton) for good prices. Of the Chinese chains I think Archer is probably the chain de rigueur currently.

I did some cutting last fall with a Rotatech chain I got from Amazon and it performed pretty well. Seemed to hold an edge better than Oregon.
Huztl has a new chain out that claims to have German made cutters. The brand name is Holzfforma. I have seen reviews from a couple guys that tried it and both said it cut well and held an edge better than Oregon.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

There’s chisel and what’s called in the past is chipper. The chisel cuts rough, faster but looses its sharpness if we hit dirt, chipper or semi chisel is more forgiving if we hit dirt. Both chains are sharpened with a round file. With all the offerings today we can get some at very affordable prices. Checkout huztl I been stocking up on there saw chain and bars. There prices can’t be beat for now. when I had the firewood business I used Oregon and Carlton saw chain.

I've been running upstart 3/8 chisel chain from amazon
For a few year's good stuff
About 11.00 a loop if you buy a few at a time
With shipping.
Only have up to 20" loops though
I got a few loops of archer 24" 13.21 or so shipped
For a few month's ago does great.

Latest posts

Back