Oh c'mon, enough is enough already!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 more inches of wet heavy snow today. I'm ready to whine about the snow.

Well, I'm gonna whine now - I hate mud! It's so wet and muddy - kind of frozen underneath the mud in some spots - it's just about impossible to do anything outside. And more rain on the way for Tuesday.

I did some cutting on the piles up S. Mtn around the 69Kv power line a week ago. I just went to collect the bucked up wood and it was like a skating rink - hard frozen ground covered with 2 inches of slime. I couldn't get the tractor and EMPTY trailer up there. Although in its defense, I am running 20 yo turf tires on the poor Ford and really not giving it a fighting chance. I should get some real ag tires to switch to in the winter when I'm not cutting grass. Also, I was too lazy to get the plow off the Jeep cuz every time I do I have to put it back on for these nuisance snows that we have been getting here.

Even ag treads wouldn't have been enough! I have ag tread tires on my 12hp Wheel Horse and on my old Ferguson TO-20, and they clear better than other tires but they don't work as well as chains.

I did some cutting on the piles up S. Mtn around the 69Kv power line a week ago. I just went to collect the bucked up wood and it was like a skating rink - hard frozen ground covered with 2 inches of slime. I couldn't get the tractor and EMPTY trailer up there. Although in its defense, I am running 20 yo turf tires on the poor Ford and really not giving it a fighting chance. I should get some real ag tires to switch to in the winter when I'm not cutting grass. Also, I was too lazy to get the plow off the Jeep cuz every time I do I have to put it back on for these nuisance snows that we have been getting here.

4WD! hate those nuisance snows. s.mtn,cumberland or adams co.?

Nope, not yet. I've put that project off for warmer weather.
Planning to dissemble the furnace plenum and install a back draft damper and whatnot, which would put us without any heat during the install. Besides, as soon as it warms up a bit I'd like to clean up the furnace a bit, maybe put a little stove paint on some of it... make it all clean and purdy before I move it in the house.

Not me... I may have complained (whined) about the lack of rain (and maybe a little bit about the heat at high summer), but you won't find any post where I was wishing for cold weather. I like September-October weather... no need for heat or A/C, low humidity for the most part, sweatshirt and coffee in the morning, t-shirt and Budweiser in the afternoon, windows wide open, biting bugs mostly gone for the year, grass don't need cut much, and perfect fire pit weather. If I was a single man with no responsibilities, I'd move 200 miles (north or south depending on season) every 30 days just so I could follow that weather.
Hit the nail on the head there just add the fishing rod.

Well, I think the weather-makers heard me whining yesterday.
After starting the day below zero we managed a high of 29[sup]o[/sup], and when I got up this morning it was 24[sup]o[/sup]... I believe that's the first overnight that has stayed above 20[sup]o[/sup] since sometime in early December. Right now it's 36[sup]o[/sup] with sunshine outside, people are walking around without coats, driving around with windows down... and I even saw one motorcycle. We may have finally turned the corner, the 14 day forecast shows highs right around the freezing mark and lows a couple degrees either side of 20.

It's about time.

The snow was melting off yesterday and last night it started snowing again. We have around 8" and it is steal comeing down. I got up early and drove to the farm to blade snow.My mother is in the hospital and i thought she would come to day and they dont clear the road till it stops and then it is 2days before they get to this road luckey it is less mile to the highway which dosent take long my tractor can blade snow at over 20 mph. But good or bad they are keeping her another day.

Hrrmph! It's February. It's gonna be cold one day, warm the next, snow one day, and sunshine that makes ya want to call in to work another day. March is more of the same. Winter will be over when the grain farmers emerge from their winter hibernations. There are signs that some are starting to stir in their shops/dens, but it'll be a while before they start foraging for dirt yet.

PS - as a self-appointed "cold state" person, I laugh every time I hear someone whining about mud during the winter. If we want mud, we gotta bring it inside and thaw it out first. :poke:

Another 8-14" on the way here. It is fairly warm today though.

The wife isn't too happy with the stove being cranked up in the morning. It warms the house up, but it gets a bit toasty when it's above 30 or so.

Back