Oh so thankful for wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've had to work nights this week and when I got out of bed this evening at about 6pm, I was wandering around the house barefooted and in my shorts, looked out at the thermometer, 18 degrees with about a 20 mph wind. It was 75 in the house. I thought to my self that there's nothing like a good wood furnace in the basement and a big wood pile.

Yep. This is our third season heating with wood (OWB) and loving it.

Finally figured out the whole system- what wood, what size, what time to load, etc. This year I'm only feeding the stove twice a day on cold (below 30) days and we've kept the temp around 70 inside- last few years it was mid to low 60s. Though I know when I'm at work the family puts it up to 72-75. :)

All my friends complain about either their big electric bill or their big propane bill- and they've all got recently built homes (read well insulated). I buy some wood to round out the free stuff... and I don't mind a bit. There's no telling what my propane bill would be in this old farmhouse.

I was going to buy one of those heat loss sensors to check the drafts... then laughed cause it'd probably show "heat loss" at anything I pointed it at here.

So yep, I like the big wood pile and the warm air gushing out of the vents.

I always work nights. Which means it's cold when I get home, and cold when I get up. The cat doesn't do a good job feeding the furnace.
but once the fire's been going for a couple hours it's nice

i hear ya, i just got my woodstove back this last sunday from a remodel job. right in time to battle this new cold front that hit. man the radiant heat coming off the stove feels good and warms the bones.

my wife who occasionally complains about tending the stove or helping to move wood was surprized with how much she missed that warmth and the ability to run around in shorts again. running the furnace is not the same!

i've got the best of both worlds...small woodstove in the L.R., OWB outside...nice to work in my shop in a t-shirt.

'twas 9 here this morning and 75 in the house, I know the feeling.

I love the nice wood heat. Heat pumps may be efficient, but the air isn't very warm, lol.

I love the nice wood heat. Heat pumps may be efficient, but the air isn't very warm, lol.

My wife and I both grew up with wood and coal heat. Our first house had a heat pump, our first experience with one. We like to froze to death for the 6 years that we were there. I put a barrel stove in a work shop out back and we would spend a lot of time out there just to be warm. The house didn't have anywhere to put a chimney and stove in without building on, it was just a bad layout altogether. We finally got a couple of electric space heaters and moved them around from room to room with us but that was back when electricity was a lot cheaper than it is now. Glad those days are over.

Been burning in wood stoves almost my entire life. Now have an OWB, keep house at 74 for the wife, and I still light a fire inside to enjoy the firelight, feel the direct heat, and somethng to mess with. These OWB'S are too easy. :cheers:

Yup teens last couple night and had the house at 75 ,,, wood furnace in basement right beside double doors with my trailer backed up against door with a roof over that,, cant beat it,, what are you guys doing for humidity having wood furnaces in basement,,

We're still using an old cast-iron box-type wood heater that we put in in '91. It's good heat, and fun to get out and cut wood.

Love the stove

Went to my sisters house this evening and sat there freezing. Could not wait to get home to my poorly insulated 75 degree house and rekindle the fire in the wood stove. Now I am sitting here in my shorts and a t-shirt feeling a bit to warm. Love the wood stove!

Yup teens last couple night and had the house at 75 ,,, wood furnace in basement right beside double doors with my trailer backed up against door with a roof over that,, cant beat it,, what are you guys doing for humidity having wood furnaces in basement,,

Wood furnace in the basement is the best way to go . We use a console humidifier in the center of the house, it works good.Its one that can be filled with a 5 gal bucket, not the bottle filled ones

No argument, we love our wood stove. The furnace hasn't even been turned on, and probably won't be unless we go away somewhere.:cheers:

When I woke up this morning the t-stat had just shut the blower off,when I left for work 25 minutes later, the blower was running again...

So thankful there was no propane being consumed

Yep agree 100%. Love my wood heater. Lows have been in the teens and low 20s the past few days and it's been a steady 70 to 75 in the house. One day I even had to open a window for a bit because it got too hot in the house.

Latest posts

Back