Oil injector bolt alaskan mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixteenacrewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Somehow I have lost the oil injector bolt for my Alaskan mill!!! I have a 64 inch bar with the helper handle.

I went to Granberg's website and the sell for $11.44 for the injector bolt, $.64 for the nut.

Shipping is $15.86

Grand total is $37.94 for a freaking bolt.

My question

Is there an alternative to their injector bolt?

I tried dripping the oil on the bar like the panther mill does but the helper handle got to hot to hold so we shut it down until I get a new injector bolt.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks
Steve

Dripping works fine but the drip needs to be onto the bar right next to the chain and not the chain itself otherwise the oil just bounces off the chain,
This works better if the bar is on an angle (front down) so the oils can run into the chain.
Just sloping the log is plenty.
The I like to see a little pool of oil on the bar like this.
noseoil.jpg

Failing that is is quite easy to make a drip bolt - it does not need to be a high tensile bolt and it's just two holes drilled into the bolt.

A good industrial hose shop should have a bolt. It's called a banjo bolt. They come in metric and standard thread. Find a bolt that fits the hole and match it up.

Or as BobL said, find a low grade bolt and drill some holes in it. To drill the side hole it's easier to grind a small flat portion of the bolt and center punch it. Then drill.

Howdy,
The original is a 5/16-24 Banjo Bolt. They're used mostly in brake systems. If you have a local auto parts store or Brake shop, you might check with them.
Regards
Gregg

Not sure, there could probly be a few reasons. Does the bearing spin ok by hand? or can you feel any grinding/binding? even a minor amount could mean its bad.

I had my helper handle heat up quite a bit on one time when i was milling some old dry white oak. iwas really having to push to get through it and it heated up the bar a lot which as far as i see it, then translated that heat to the helper handle. I find going nice and steady through green wood and not pushing too hard nothing gets all that crazy hot including the bar.

As far as lubricant, i havnt had to lube mine yet. I would guess some wheel bearing grease would be a good option but im sure somebody on here knows from first hand experiance

Latest posts

Back