Oil Leak 066 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josgmctk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 066 mag that quit oiling the chain and the oil is leaking out of a hole in the bottom of the saw. how do i get in to the oil pump? would anyone have a service manual and IPL? thanks

josgmctk said:
I have a 066 mag that quit oiling the chain and the oil is leaking out of a hole in the bottom of the saw. how do i get in to the oil pump? would anyone have a service manual and IPL? thanks

To reach the oil pump is not hard. Sprocket must come off. Remove the clutch assembly and you'll see the oil pump..

Also

The clutch assembly loosens by turning it to the right, not left. Remember that....

josgmctk said:
thanks, I was hoping that I did not have to remove the inner side cover.

You'll find that saw very easy to work on. If I can do it you can too..

thanks I can do it, just did not want to take the saw all appart if not needed. so far this 066 and the 028's have been simple but the 017 has been a pain, that thing had crud hidden everywere.

Just had a similar problem on my 064. Taking an old clutch off can take an impact wrench. The local dealer can do it in a couple of seconds. Thats what I did. My hose was leaking, but I believe the 066 has a machined passage. It could be the pump to the hose interface.

hautions11 said:
Just had a similar problem on my 064. Taking an old clutch off can take an impact wrench. The local dealer can do it in a couple of seconds. Thats what I did. My hose was leaking, but I believe the 066 has a machined passage. It could be the pump to the hose interface.

It is much better not to use an impact wrench. Just take out the plug, rotate the piston until it is above the exhaust port, put in some 3/8 nylon rope as a piston stop, and use a deep socket and decent length bar. Strong constant pressure is all it take to move the clutch - and it is a left hand thread.

I posted a while back on upgrading the oil pump. It tells all you need to do to get it off and put it back on... and more.

Check out : http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31559

problem fixed

took the pump out and the top seal was missing, put in new seal and lubed clutch hub bearing, installed new rim and chain. now I can give it test drive and break in the new piston. thanks to all for all the information

Latest posts

Back