ok how many of you have had a close call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a real close one a few nights ago.
Notched the tree and started the back cut. Didn't notice the vine that was tying it to the tree next to it. It started to fall and then spun around and fell right at me. Stepped aside just in time.
:givebeer:

I had a fair size cherry barberchair on me once. Have been hit by falling limbs, and cut myself across the left knee. Missed two weeks of work, it was no fun.

not yet, knock on wood, but have seen plentty of others get hurt. Not pretty.

Well, while my saw wasnt running, I scrambled up a 40+ foot pine tree that was laid over a pond, and slipped. Fell down but was hung by my foot. :dizzy: Everybody had a laugh afterwards, after they got me out of the tree and made sure I was alright. Had to pitch the saw, glad I wasnt very far off the ground.
And nicked the chaps before.
Definately got to stay awake in the woods. I call it preventive maintance for myself, instead of the saws. I cant be replaced

Closest call Ive had I was dropping an oak and had the plastic wedges in the backcut tip of the bar hit the wedge and I had a pretty good kickback but caught the saw before it caught me it also engaged the chainbrake. Other than that I have only been hurt when the saw was off like a spike in the leg or cut myself while sharpening and didnt have any gloves on.

When I was cutting helipads, I got in the bad habit of stopping the chain on my thigh (with chaps) when cutting small trees, so I could push them over. We were always in a hurry, either to get out once the fire was under control, or to get gear in when the fire was out of control.

Of course, the first time I cut off the job, I was without chaps, and did the same thing out of habit.

I don't know how I only wound up with a scratched leg, because I tore the snot out of that pair of jeans.

Stupid is as stupid does.

I had a couple of close calls with my Fiskars splitter. Now, the hydraulic one likes to drop pieces on my shins (looking at putting a table on it now.)

I ordered full-wrap chaps from Labonville on Monday. They will be here on Friday. The wife wanted to complain about the expense, but she sees the safety part and doesn't give me too much crap about my wood tools anyway. I started to notice that I was getting a little too speedy and not paying enough attention at times so I thought better safe than sorry. I think I'll get the helmet rig next.

Kicked my jeans with the 084 once. Had about 30 foot of thick rotten vines fall on me while making the back cut on a 90 ft pine tree. I looked up, jumped back instinctively and some of it hit my hard hat while most of it landed right where I was standing. At that moment, I was very thankful for all the safety tips on arboristsite.
:greenchainsaw:

I knicked my jeans twice before owning chaps.

+1, and the skin a bit but no meat.

P.S. A saying from an old time timberframer: Q: "my you are are coming quite close to your toes with that axe, are they steel toed?" , A: "Them damm steel toes dull my axe!!!" That was from a true sage of the timber framing revival, Richard Babcock.

He knows more than I (most) will ever learn about TF, but the few things I learned........thank you Richard!!!!

Latest posts

Back