OK Lakeside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
04ultra said:
Lake will think I took the pictures for ya..Inside joke..LOL

Now that was funny, I got it!!!!!
The second pic shows what I was talking about with the blueing.
Andy

Hey ULtra - I gave you lessons, and you're getting worse!!! (inside joke)...

Can't really see much.. Your chain is obviously running dry - pitch and junk is dry on the links. Don't see any "blueing"... Do see paint comming off....

Can you use a flash, or a tripod?

.. and PLEASE resize your images before uploading them.... Easier on you, easier on us:) 800x600 work fine..

sawinredneck said:
That was flash, I will get Moma, maybe she is more steady than I?

It's flash but with high ambient light... That's why you have a sharp image mixed with a blurry one. Turn up your F stop, or turn down the lights

TreeCo said:
My digital camera has a mode for close up shots. I'd had the camera for two years before I read about it in the manual.

Get the wife to read the manual!:D

Get the wife to take the shot, a lot easier than the explanation!!:bang:
Andy

Hi, Andy
www.xat.com has a free image optimizer you can crop or resize most images.From the look of the tooth you posted. I would suggest a top plate angle of 30% and lower your file angle to about a 10% angle up to the top plate when filing inside out.

John Dolmar said:
Hi, Andy
www.xat.com has a free image optimizer you can crop or resize most images.From the look of the tooth you posted. I would suggest a top plate angle of 30% and lower your file angle to about a 10% angle up to the top plate when filing inside out.

Thank you John, I will download that program.
If the chain was a problem that might help, that is a brand new GB/Carlton chain and a new GB bar with about an hour and a half on it.
Andy

Better picture, but it got even bigger!!!

Set your camera to take a lower resolution image, or, resize... Quick, before Ultra reposts them the right size.

You might want to bring the rest of the world up to date with your problem. I'm sure there are a few opinions different to mine out there!

I see the paint removal, and the bar has been punished by a hot chain marginally lubricated, but the grey/blue looks like the factory induction hardening beneath the paint, not blueing from the chain. Interesting that it's only in a small area but your cutting big wood...?

The chain crud looks like mine when I mill rather then crosscut... What are you cutting?

Choice are obvious - and assume your oiler is in fact working correctly.

- try a better quality oil
- increase the oil flow (install magnum pump piston and control).
- rest more often when cutting and run the chain for a few seconds at a moderate speed out of the wood ( I do this when ripping at the end of each plank). Does your chain oil up nicely in say 1 minute if you do this?
- Try a stihl chain with the groove in the tang (o.k., I hear the sound of lead balloon hitting the floor!!!). Just a suggestion...

- Switch to 0.063 - better oil carriage, at least in Stihl chain - not sure about the others.

As for changing to a smaller rim... In theory it will help your oiling, but I'm not sure this is your problem.

Carlton chain... I just got to look at a roll of GB/Carlton Rip chain... about $219 per 100 feet. Really cheap looking cutters, "factory blunt", poorly formed top plates and IMHO. junk... We got it in because it takes too long to make a rip chain economically (customers - I have all night to make mine!). It's not "granberg" style - just has full comp semi-chisel cutter at about 1/3 reduced width, and a 10 degree top plate angle.

You get what you pay for... I won't be using it!

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back